Should the United States Senate be abolished? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:47:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should the United States Senate be abolished? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Should the United States Senate be abolished?  (Read 2346 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 15, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »

No.

I can think of good arguments for bicameralism and the idea of a longer tenured upper chamber.

I can't think of any good arguments for the Senate as presently constructed.  The idea of giving tiny states' voters hugely disproportionate say does not make sense in a 50 state county.   Arcane rules like the filibuster do not make sense.  And, just historically, the US Senate has generally been an impediment to positive social change from the slavery debates to civil rights to regulating robber barons and industrial capitalism to the unconscionable obstructionism under Obama.

So, I would be fine abolishing it or drastically changing the rules and apportionment among the states.

Think about all the bills passed by the Republican-led House that the Senate has killed over the years.

This is a valid point to be made. The House tends to do lots of radical things, coming from both sides of the aisle. Having the Senate act as a brake on the actions of the House is useful in maintaining stability and moderation in our country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies