Confirmation Hearing: Superique for SoS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:10:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Superique for SoS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Superique for SoS  (Read 1827 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Y'all know the drill by now.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »

Right then.

What would your top priorities as SoEA be?
What will your time frame for updates be? Will you provide them every week at minimum, every two weeks?
Will you be able to provide updates on your own if there should be an absence in the position of the GM?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »

Superique had been an active Secretary of External Affairs in the past, so I will vote to confirm the nominee.
I echo Cranberry's questions: considering the administration is in lameduck (ie less than 3 weeks before the election of Bore or Maxwell), what would be your  priorities?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »

Well guys. First of all, I must say that I'm honoured by Lumine's invitation and I hope that we can have positive and meaninful debates over this next three weeks. Nonetheless, I must say that I'm having unusual internet connection problems so I'm answering all questions by telephone. My top priories are going to be tackling ISIL, ensurin that the Russian-Ukranian deal is fulfilled and ,finally, I would also like to restart negotiantions with Iran over a nuclear deal and maybe possible cooperation in other areas. If possible, I would also like to pay attention on how is the Peace ¥eal between Israel and Palestine working. We have created an agreement but Atlasia should help during the transition process to the two state solution, after all settlers need to evacuate, NATO troops should get into Palestinian territory, Infrastructure must be built and we must guarantee peace between both sides.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »

No problems with the nominee. I will vote for the confirmation.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:27:05 AM »

What will your time frame for updates be? Will you provide them every week at minimum, every two weeks?
Will you be able to provide updates on your own if there should be an absence in the position of the GM?

I tend to post in a weekly basis. Activity was never a problem during my tenures as SoEA and I hope that this time won't be very different. Since, I'm not currently studying anywhere in RL, those three weeks can be very productive. Now regarding to the Game Mod absence, I honestly don't think that is a problem. I believe that Griffin or BK was recently talking about how I managed to work even without a GM always helping so I may have some past record credentials on that matter.

However, since I don't usually exchange messages with the GM, I intend on this next tenure to use much more that tool. Negotiantions with other countries can certainly be explored by those methods and secret information could be sent and shared in Private Messages. This is a new frontier that Potus explored very well and that could bring more magic to Foreign Affairs. The GM could create leaks and the SoS could react or maybe the SoS could receive an alarm from the CIA of a possible terrorist alert designed specially by the GM. Those would be very nice mechanisms that could certainly make the whole cabinet action more envolving.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »

No problems with the nominee. I will vote for the confirmation.

Thank you for your confidence Cris. Any doubts, I'll be more than glad to answer, even after my Confirmation hearing.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »

Wait,
Basically giving up the Crimea in exchange a vague promise that Putin wouldn't invade the baltic states is a good deal for you?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »

I will support the nominee, based on my long-standing belief that the Executive should be able to choose his cabinet without interference. I would only encourage the nominee to look at the track record of his predecessor in this position, and learn from his mistakes. Our great country deserves and desperately needs foreign policy leadership.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »

Thank you for answering my questions, that would be it from my side. I will vote for your confirmation.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »

This nominee has revolutionized the role of Secretary of Internal Affairs, and I know he will do a good job here too. If he is confirmed in a Lumine administration, he will keep his job in a Maxwell administration.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »

I have to note, that as a former SoEA, I have a great deal of concern as to how this role works and is seen to work. I found the work around the Israel/Palestine deal a bit perplexing as it well, worked and did so without any speed-bumps.

However, my concern is that we approach foreign policy issues based on as much reality as possible.

Are you able to guarantee the Senate that you'd be as active and engaged as you were in your last term, as well as addressing issues of concern with a close adherence to reality and the history of certain situations and regions?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »

Wait,
Basically giving up the Crimea in exchange a vague promise that Putin wouldn't invade the baltic states is a good deal for you?

Well, I haven't actually said that it was a good deal but I think that this is much better than the situation that we were facing before negotiations. We have to realize that, although it was far from perfect, it still guaranteed many important benefits for the whole Eastern Europe. We got more than 50 billion from Russia to a new Development Fund for Ukraine and we also were able to get a Renunciation of all Russian Claims over Europe.

I truly believe that we should have discussed a little bit more and in a more detailed fashion about the Ukrainian-Atlasian-Russian arrangement over Crimea. I would have certainly preferred if the First Crimean Independence Referendum was considered null and void and a new Referendum over Autonomy, as considered in the Peace Deal, was prepared with tough United Nations Supervision and cooperation between Ukranians and Russians. The only problem is that the great part of negotiations between Russia and Atlasia were made in private conversations, so I'm not fully informed over how the meetings proceeded and which were the limits of the Russian Delegation.

Nonetheless, now that the deal is already in process, I fear that any kind of profound change in the agreement can bring terrible instability and I'm not willing to be the responsible for the destruction of Potus' legacy nor to be tagged by the International Community as an unreliable negotiator. I can certainly try to start new dialogues with the Russian Federation but I can't (unfortunately to your expectations)  break that deal that demanded serious efforts from the  Atlasian Diplomacy, Mr. Windjammer.   
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »

Superique was an excellent SoEA last time around and I see no reason not to support him now.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

I have to note, that as a former SoEA, I have a great deal of concern as to how this role works and is seen to work. I found the work around the Israel/Palestine deal a bit perplexing as it well, worked and did so without any speed-bumps.

However, my concern is that we approach foreign policy issues based on as much reality as possible.

Are you able to guarantee the Senate that you'd be as active and engaged as you were in your last term, as well as addressing issues of concern with a close adherence to reality and the history of certain situations and regions?

Before I address your question, I need to comment the first part of your statement, otherwise my answer will be incomplete:

Since Lumine invited me to become SoEA/SoS once more, I was thinking that someone would bring the issue over Israel/Palestine deal to discussions and I'm glad that it was mentioned by you, Senator Polnut. As you know, due to your long experience in this office, the pressures over Israel to start peace negotiations in this game were always much higher than any other particular time of Real Life. So, as there has been a point of divergence since the beginning of this game, it seems to me that a Peace Deal was perfectly natural for the specific occasion that it was made. I need to remind you that , when I entered, Sjoyce was already preparing ground for what ended up being my deal. Hence, that is why it worked and that is why I had the approval from the General Public and from the GM about almost every action that I have taken.

So my point is, when  dealing with the State Department, I have no doubts that we must follow a close adherence to reality but we also need to remember the past actions from previous SoEAs. This can be good in some cases, as it were during Israel-Palestine talks, but will not necessarily be great in other situations, Iran has nuclear weapons now (!!!). It's for this reason that I will proceed the same way as I did during my last tenure, paying attention to reality issues, but also considering what has been decided and approved by previous SoEAs/SoSs.

Now, finally answering your question:

I will try to do my best with regular posts and I'm willing to have very participative action during the Senate Debates regarding Foreign Issues (although I'm quite sure that Lumine is already taking care of those matters as well). I don't intend also to have any major divergence with Reality and History since I don't feel that Atlasia has had any major impact on most international issues that are springing up this year, except for some details over ISIS. We have had a lot of "divergency-generating" actions towards Venezuela, Cuba (thanks Obama to bringing the US closer to Atlasia over that specific matter, by the way) Palestine and Iran, but I can not say the same of issues like Latin America, Brazil or the Eurocrisis, for example.

However, following the same line of action that I have previously taken to other issues, I think that we (Senators, the White House and the Cabinet) should have a very deep discussion with the GM over the situation in Afghanistan and Iraq, since we have been taking a very different path from the U.S and I would like to see the consequences of our actions more deeply. (Taliban maybe stronger for a long time and we don't know; is Osama alive yet?; we have left Iraq earlier than the US, has that created more or less problems for Iraq?)

I talked about many things. It was more a brainstorm than a very clear answer. Any doubts, you can talk to me as soon as you can.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »

Superique was an excellent SoEA last time around and I see no reason not to support him now.

Thank you SWE, I'm glad to see your approval. Any divergence, suggestions, questions and criticism, I will always be open to hear you.

Thank you for answering my questions, that would be it from my side. I will vote for your confirmation.

Thank you Cranberry.

I will support the nominee, based on my long-standing belief that the Executive should be able to choose his cabinet without interference. I would only encourage the nominee to look at the track record of his predecessor in this position, and learn from his mistakes. Our great country deserves and desperately needs foreign policy leadership.

I hope that I can bring that leadership and I'm happy to see this great support for Executive independence. Nonetheless, as an enthusiast of some Parliamentary mechanisms of control to the Cabinet and as a civil servant that feels that The People need transparent public agents, I will be more than happy to answer any questions that you have.

This nominee has revolutionized the role of Secretary of Internal Affairs, and I know he will do a good job here too. If he is confirmed in a Lumine administration, he will keep his job in a Maxwell administration.

Thank you for extremely kind words of support Maxwell. You have always been a friend of mine in Atlasia and in the Forum and it is always nice when I can receive such a positive feedback from a friend. I don't really think that I was a revolutionary SoIA but certainly I was able to bring much more activity that we usually see coming from that Office and I hope to bring this kind of "Superiqueresque" Activity to the Department of State Smiley

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »

Wait,

Well, I haven't actually said that it was a good deal but I think that this is much better than the situation that we were facing before negotiations. We have to realize that, although it was far from perfect, it still guaranteed many important benefits for the whole Eastern Europe. We got more than 50 billion from Russia to a new Development Fund for Ukraine and we also were able to get a Renunciation of all Russian Claims over Europe.

I truly believe that we should have discussed a little bit more and in a more detailed fashion about the Ukrainian-Atlasian-Russian arrangement over Crimea. I would have certainly preferred if the First Crimean Independence Referendum was considered null and void and a new Referendum over Autonomy, as considered in the Peace Deal, was prepared with tough United Nations Supervision and cooperation between Ukranians and Russians. The only problem is that the great part of negotiations between Russia and Atlasia were made in private conversations, so I'm not fully informed over how the meetings proceeded and which were the limits of the Russian Delegation.

Nonetheless, now that the deal is already in process, I fear that any kind of profound change in the agreement can bring terrible instability and I'm not willing to be the responsible for the destruction of Potus' legacy nor to be tagged by the International Community as an unreliable negotiator. I can certainly try to start new dialogues with the Russian Federation but I can't (unfortunately to your expectations)  break that deal that demanded serious efforts from the  Atlasian Diplomacy, Mr. Windjammer.   

Well,
I believe the deal was a terrible mistake. But yes, I understand that you cannot break the deal.
I will vote to confirm the nominee.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »

Superique was really my only cabinet member to actually do his job during my two terms in office and stuck by me the entire time. He always went above his call of duty for both SoIA and SoEA, and I am here in all my glory to urge you to confirm him now.

While most of my cabinet members came and went like prostitutes in the night, Superique stayed!
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »

Wait,

Well,
I believe the deal was a terrible mistake. But yes, I understand that you cannot break the deal.
I will vote to confirm the nominee.

Thank you for your sensibility Windjammer. The support from both sides of the political aisle is very appreciated. 
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »

Can we speed up the process, by the way?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »

I'm comfortable with this nominee and recommend we move to a final vote.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »

With the mandatory 72 hours having elapsed and a motion for a final vote being made, the vote on confirmation of the nominee is now open.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States