If you were raised Mormon, would you have converted to whatever you are now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:06:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were raised Mormon, would you have converted to whatever you are now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If you were raised Mormon, would you have converted to whatever you are now?
Yes

No

I am a Mormon

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: If you were raised Mormon, would you have converted to whatever you are now?  (Read 2129 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »

Yes. I think I'd be a hipster Christian today if born in the US no matter what I was raised.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »

Option 3
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »

Hipster Christianity is at least (marginally?) less obviously a scam and cult than Mormonism but as with most of your polls on such topics I dread considering the hypothetical.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:25:31 AM »

No.
Too traditionnal to have an another religion.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »

Unknowable (literally normal).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »

Seriously? If opebo was still here he'd obviously say he'd still be an atheist and it's hard to see ANYONE disagreeing with that. For just one example.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »

Yes. I think I'd be a hipster Christian today if born in the US no matter what I was raised.
What exactly is Hipster Christianity?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »

Described here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=207485.msg4489504#msg4489504
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »

Yea, I would've become an atheist regardless of being raised Mormon. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »

These threads are stupid.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »

Hipster Christianity is at least (marginally?) less obviously a scam and cult than Mormonism but as with most of your polls on such topics I dread considering the hypothetical.

Oldiesfreak post of the week! Excellently done Stan Marsh.

And just like Stan Marsh, you'd do well to grow up....there was something else said at the end of that episode, but I won't go there.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »

My agnosticism was allowed by my parents being very lax at sending me to Catholic mass, buying me a home computer with internet to be inquisitive before even my school had internet, and encouraging me to be inquisitive by calling me smart all the time and putting pressure on me to live up to that title. So I never really cared deeply about being Catholic and was plenty open to other ideas.

If I had been born to say, the parents of my childhood friend Anthony, who was forced to attend church every Sunday and even do confessions to the priest regularly and taught to shoot a gun when he was 9 and now works at REI to pay for his hunting vacations, I would be a completely different person
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hipster Christianity is pretty much a type of Christianity popular with people born from the 1980s onward that focuses on social justice and fighting against social injustices through the message of Christianity. In addition, it also seems to be more moderate on social issues such as gay marriage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hipster Christianity is pretty much a type of Christianity popular with people born from the 1980s onward that focuses on social justice and fighting against social injustices through the message of Christianity. In addition, it also seems to be more moderate on social issues such as gay marriage.

That's kind of true, but if you drop the "popular with people born from the 1980s onward" part you could just as easily describe the mainline churches. Also important to keep out it's more of an evangelical flair (which is part of what makes it notable, since liberal evangelicals are far less common than liberal mainliners), and tries to focus on more "modern" and "non-traditional" things that you wouldn't associate with church, like those videos I mentioned, things like being asked to text the pastor questions during the sermon to be answered at the end or tweet your reaction on your phone with a specific hashtag, or the unique way of doing communion I mentioned a bit ago.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »

Considering I was born and raised Catholic but converted to mainline Protestantism as an adult, it stands to reason I probably would've converted from Mormonism too. But that of course leaves a ton of variables about personality development open to chance.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »

Seriously? If opebo was still here he'd obviously say he'd still be an atheist and it's hard to see ANYONE disagreeing with that. For just one example.

Yes. Seriously. We might strongly suspect that, but we would, by definition, not know it, nor even really be able to corroborate our opinions.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »

I'd probably stay in Mormonism, but I could see myself winding up in Catholicism if I wasn't raised in the Reformed faith.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »

this is cult of the individual at its highest.  you have no "essence".  you are nothing more than what you've been subjected to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »

Considering I was born and raised Catholic but converted to mainline Protestantism as an adult, it stands to reason I probably would've converted from Mormonism too. But that of course leaves a ton of variables about personality development open to chance.

Thanks for sharing that actually, good real life counter to the people I've seen here who basically say no one EVER converts from Catholicism because CULTURE and all that stuff. Which is very demonstratably untrue.

Yes. Seriously. We might strongly suspect that, but we would, by definition, not know it, nor even really be able to corroborate our opinions.

OK but can we agree that it's most likely (by a wide margin) that opebo would be an atheist even if he had been raised Mormon...or anything for that matter? I doubt anyone would dispute that. If not 100% certainty than at least 99%.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »

Thanks for sharing that actually, good real life counter to the people I've seen here who basically say no one EVER converts from Catholicism because CULTURE and all that stuff. Which is very demonstratably untrue.

That's a straw man. It isn't what anybody's claiming. It's that in some countries and some time periods, which don't really include the contemporary United States, that's a lot less common.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK but can we agree that it's most likely (by a wide margin) that opebo would be an atheist even if he had been raised Mormon...or anything for that matter? I doubt anyone would dispute that. If not 100% certainty than at least 99%.
[/quote]

Eh, maybe more like 85% or 90%, sure. I really do think you're overstating nature as opposed to nurture here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »

I have a feeling that I'd have converted to Evangelical Christianity at some point.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

I can't fathom how different my outlook on life might be if I were raised in a religious fashion, so I can't really answer that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies