NE 2: Amendment to the T.J. Detweiler Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE 2: Amendment to the T.J. Detweiler Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE 2: Amendment to the T.J. Detweiler Act (Passed)  (Read 1268 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
« edited: February 25, 2015, 02:24:08 PM by Speaker Matt »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Thomas from NJ

Representative, you have 36 hours to begin advocating for this legislation.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »

I'm not entirely huge on cutting into our children's lunch period, though I'd be interested in hearing NJ Christian's reasoning regarding the subject.

I also don't really see why we need to contribute money to this - especially in middle and high schools. When I was in school, we usually brought a hacky sack or a frisbee in the rare cases where we could go outside, and it doesn't exactly take $5 million to allow our children to be fit and active.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »

The intent of this amendment is simply to address the concerns expressed by cinyc and SirNick during the debate on the original bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »

We never specified when the recess period was supposed to occur or provided funding for additional monitors.  This helps solve that problem.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »

We never specified when the recess period was supposed to occur or provided funding for additional monitors.  This helps solve that problem.

I'm leaving when recess specifically occurs up to the individual schools or districts to decide. I strongly believe that matters like an ultra-specific schedule should not be set by our government - localities should have the freedom to decide when recess is.

As for funding for additional monitors - that's a very good point that I admittedly didn't think of. $5 million sounds like enough, and I'd gladly support that. Admittedly I'd like to hear some reasoning behind why the recess period should be cut to 15 minutes.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:43 AM »

I'm leaving when recess specifically occurs up to the individual schools or districts to decide. I strongly believe that matters like an ultra-specific schedule should not be set by our government - localities should have the freedom to decide when recess is.

As for funding for additional monitors - that's a very good point that I admittedly didn't think of. $5 million sounds like enough, and I'd gladly support that. Admittedly I'd like to hear some reasoning behind why the recess period should be cut to 15 minutes.

The problem is that if you don't specify recess could be during the lunch period, it could be viewed as not allowed.  The time for recess has to come from somewhere.  I'd rather it not come from classroom time.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:28 AM »

Surely couldn't recess and lunch just be rolled into a 30 or 45 minute slot, or in some cases be left up to the decision of local schools. There's cases such as a special schools, or support schools were more or less time may be needed. I think it's easier just to say 'all schools must provide recreational breaks' for students-something that can be done through the governor rather than a bill.

I am open to the general idea of the bill though
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:11 AM »

The problem is that if you don't specify recess could be during the lunch period, it could be viewed as not allowed.  The time for recess has to come from somewhere.  I'd rather it not come from classroom time.

What I'm mostly concerned about is that some schools will just decide to cut lunch instead of recess. Quite frankly, I've noticed a "war on playtime" arising - I remember when recess was cut at my school, there was so much outrage when recess was cut in half that they extended it back to around 25 minutes and wound up gradually cutting it back to over the next two years. While I do understand the need for more class time, it's not healthy or expected for our young children to be expected to have only thirty minutes of the day as a break, and I feel like setting a 30-minute minimum for recess will give them more energy to learn.

To answer Blair's question, I feel like regulating public education should come from the Assembly. I don't believe it's in my power to issue executive orders with that much weight, and I believe that my role exists as an administrator to the people and an advisor to you all.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »

I'm still committed to the 30 minute recess as well, the issue is that 'lunch' isn't defined in timings. For this reason you could have schools giving students 15 minutes to eat, and then 15 minutes for recess. This leads to 30 minutes overall which isn't good.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »

I'm still committed to the 30 minute recess as well, the issue is that 'lunch' isn't defined in timings. For this reason you could have schools giving students 15 minutes to eat, and then 15 minutes for recess. This leads to 30 minutes overall which isn't good.

This is anecdotal; but the high school I attended here in New Jersey had 8 45-minute periods (or ''blocks'' as they are called at some schools) a day. The 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th periods/blocks could all be used for lunch; it was up to you to decide when to put it on your schedule (if at all).
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 02:37:07 AM »

Alright time for a vote on this. Voting shall be open for 48 hours or until all representatives have voted. Please vote: AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 02:41:26 AM »

NAY

(I just believe this bill is ultimately too broad and vague, and quite frankly I support 30 minute lunches for our students, for purposes of both proper digestion and social time.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 02:55:08 AM »

Nay
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 07:20:24 AM »

Aye
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 01:29:18 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »

Aye
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »

By a vote of 3-2, the bill has passed, and will go to the governor for his signature/veto.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »

signed
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 11:34:57 PM »

Here you said you signed the bill, while in your office, you said you vetoed it. Which is true?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »

Here you said you signed the bill, while in your office, you said you vetoed it. Which is true?

vetoed. whoops.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies