What are your plans for Easter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:05:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are your plans for Easter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are your plans for Easter?  (Read 1072 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:03:22 AM »

I just finished loading the plastic eggs with soy sauce packets (family tradition), hot sauce packets, napkins, cough drops, and some candy (I've heard some ppl do this). I have the decorations ready, but I'll set them up tomorrow. Usually we have the Easter egg hunt in the early afternoon, but due to the weather being warm, we'll have it later, around 6pm.

Oh fun fact: My immediate family numbers about 17 people, but there's only 3 individuals under the age of 14. So we include camouflaged eggs that are well hidden (such as deep inside trees or that require physical labor to uncover).

After the easter egg hunt, we begin "The Egg War," which is when we divide up into 2 or 3 groups and basically throw the plastic eggs at each other. I've been training my two year old niece as a Private, I'm confident she will do well Smiley

What are your plans?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 12:14:34 AM »

That sounds fun, Mike!

I will be going to church this morning and then going to a church member's home for Easter dinner right after the morning service.  I will end the day watching Opening Night Baseball.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »

Sit in my room eating pizza.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »

As a non-religious with no young children, absolutely nothing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 12:18:18 AM »

You could probably do that on Monday.  They don't play on Sunday!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 12:42:36 AM »

Homework and watching/listening to the General Authorities of the Church speak.

If I'm lucky, I'll call up the folks and sis see how they're doing.

Dunno about the rest.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:50:53 AM »

We have relatives coming over for dinner.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:10:15 AM »

Read up on the Easter Rising.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

That sounds fun, Mike!

I will be going to church this morning and then going to a church member's home for Easter dinner right after the morning service.  I will end the day watching Opening Night Baseball.

Oh that's right you're starting your vacation.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »

Rest up for work tomorrow. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »

It's Easter today?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »

Eating a lot of chocolate.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »

Not go to church. Wink *tips flatcap*

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »

Considering the weather is really crap (0°C and a mix of snowfall and rain), mostly watching TV and playing darts. Might read the Economist later and wash my clothes.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 09:48:36 AM »

Considering the weather is really crap (0°C and a mix of snowfall and rain), mostly watching TV and playing darts. Might read the Economist later and wash my clothes.

HE IS RISEN
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2015, 10:02:35 AM by DemPGH »

As a non-religious with no young children, absolutely nothing.

Yep, same. Just taking it easy and getting some writing done, actually.

Plus, with people older and more spread out the family really doesn't do much for Easter these days. Thanksgiving and Christmas are pretty much when we get together. Sometimes over the summer like 4 July but it depends on what people are doing.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »

Yardwork, homework, procrastination. Usual Sunday stuff, minus the gym.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »

We boiled, and then colored in pastel shades, eight eggs.  We then put all our eggs in one basket.  I'm waiting for the boy to put some stickers on them.  They will become our mid-afternoon snack.  We decided to forego the shrink-wrap deco in favor of the old-fashioned vinegar-and-caustic pastel pills.  The shrink-wrap ones make the egg so damned hard to open after they've been envaginated by the plastic.

Earlier today my son put little treats like Starbursts, bite-size Twizzlers, and such--Halloween leftovers--in each of about 15 bisectable, snap-together plastic eggs, also pastel-colored.  I wanted to hide them for him, but he says he's too old--or too cool, whatever--to hunt for eggs now so he insisted on hiding them himself.  I'm expected to find them.  I'm waiting for him to finish his babyback pork rib lunch and then I'll go out with my basket and hunt for plastic eggs while he mocks me for being so slow.  I wanted a high-fat, high-protein cholesterol-free lunch so I made myself a mixture of avocado, jalapeno, tomato, manioc, and a squirt of lemon juice and scarfed that down quickly with corn chips so I'm just waiting for him to finish his high-cholesterol diet.  

After the egg hunt, I think we'll take a long bicycle ride.  The club is closed today so there will be no swimming or weightlifting.  That's okay because today it's 60ish and sunny.  (Finally.)  At some point my wife will bake a big ham we bought yesterday.  I have a Chilean pinot noir in the basement that will compliment the ham nicely.  There will also be rice, I'm sure, and some sort of exotic green vegetables with the ever-present hint of garlic, green onion, and soy sauce.  

I did learn about boiled eggs and rabbits.  My son asked me how those things became associated with Easter.  I speculated, and as it turned out I got the egg bit right but I was way off concerning the rabbit.  A cursory Google search yielded the following information:  during the middle ages many European bishops forbade the consumption of eggs during lent so eggs were boiled in order to preserve them.  They were often painted for decoration.  Some families took to hiding them in strange places in order to stave off temptation.  On Resurrection Sunday, at the conclusion of the Lenten season, the plentiful eggs were sought out by eager children and consumed with abandon.  (All that I had basically guessed.)  The rabbit, on the other hand, has a more mysterious history, and one which pre-dates Christianization of the Germanic lands.  Some sources say that the rabbit was associated with judgment, others say that it was associated with spring and Jesus.  I think the most credible of them say that the rabbit was already associated with fertility and with the pre-Christian Germanic sex goddess Eostra.  Because rabbits are so prolific this time of year they became a symbol of Eostra's blessings.  Her festival was conviently just about the same time as the Pascal, so the two feasts sort of got mixed together when that area was Christianized.  The rabbit motif was imported into Pennsylvania from Germany in the very early 1700s, to this very neighborhood, in fact, where the egg-laying Hare myth had already been fairly well worked out.

Cheers!
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

Church, brunch, drink. Wink
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »

Church + visit sister
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »

Church, then dinner with my parents.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

Went to Mass, dinner with Mom on Long Island, then home.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »

Easter isn't till next weekend.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »

I started the day with church, where our choir sang a rousing anthem for both services. After church I went into food prep mode for our family and a couple of guests. I prepared a potato and onion casserole called pomme boulangere and got it into the oven. Then I prepared and herb crust for two racks of lamb, fired up the grill, and grilled the rack to a medium rare. Others put together some veggies and rolls and we enjoyed the feast with a lush 2008 Saint Estephe by Ormes de Pez. We all chatted for a couple hours over a dessert of lemon bars and chocolate mousse. Now it's time to clean up and get ready for work tomorrow.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 01:38:09 AM »

It's been a busy Holy Week for me.  The Lutheran church which I do my midweek Bible study with had a fairly full slate of services, and I often get tapped to be a lay reader with them when I'm able to be there, as I do have an expressive voice.Palm Sunday they had a Taize service in the evening which I attended and which set the mood for the week quite nicely.  Maundy Thursday had two services, of which I attended the latter which had footwashing.  Good Friday had two services, the first a Procession of the Cross and the second a Tenebrae commemorating the Crucifixion itself. It is a shame that Western liturgical tradition doesn't do much with Holy Saturday. Granted, the Harrowing of Hades doesn't have much scriptural support, but it is sufficient, and in my own personal beliefs it is a major event which is at least as significant as any other in Jesus' ministry as it provides the point at which Universal Salvation is offered to the dead (and in my personal beliefs, it was to all the dead, both those who died before his crucifixion as well as those who died afterward.  Hades is not part of the Cosmos and thus is not subject to the constraint of linear time.)  So instead of a Saturday service, the next was the Sonrise [sic] Service there, and after a Flowering of the Cross, it was off to my UU church for an Easter Service there. [And I do mean an Easter Service, not a Spring Service as some UU churches tend to hold instead.]  Albeit as a UU Easter Service, the Sermon was a bit odd from a traditional Christian view. It emphasized the death of self and desire and thus the pastor was able to tie in Buddha to the events of Jesus' death and resurrection.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies