Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:40:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?  (Read 8251 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »

First off, I do think that our perspectives as a generally privileged cis-male filled forum probably aren't the same as those of women who undergo discrimination and sexism. That being said, a lot of people misconstrue feminism's intent. True feminism means gender equality. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. I do know a few so called feminists that are extremists who tilt towards misandry as opposed to equality. Thus, I don't see them as furthering the goals of feminism at all. Gender equality creates a breakdown of harmful traditional roles and stereotypes, which clearly benefits men. True gender equality creates an environment where men and women have equal value under the law. Once again, this helps both sexes. I don't call myself a feminist for the fear of being seen as trying to make the movement about men because I bring up how equality helps men as well. I call myself an egalitarian who supports the root goals of feminism.

Fine post until the bold, which I want to respond to. You ARE a feminist, but you undermine its image and credibility when you call yourself an "egalitarian who supports the root goals of feminism." Bringing up male benefits does not make the movement about men; the movement has been and will continue to be largely about women simply because they are the ones who suffer from the imbalanced social structures in place today.

I've been accused of it before, and it made me feel uncomfortable being known as a "fake who wants to derail the movement" to this group of people. For that matter, I have no issue calling myself a feminist minus the accusations from people I know. I generally shy away from it, which as you point out, I probably shouldn't do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies