Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:31:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?  (Read 8246 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: February 17, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »

My point here is not that affirmative consent laws are necessarily bad, but that Klein makes a fundamentally illiberal argument in support of them.

I think I agree with this. Klein's argument is atrocious.

The best defenses of it are (a) it doesn't really change much, since UC and many other universities already use the affirmative consent standard (b) conservatively interpreted, there's nothing unreasonable in the actual text of SB 967. For example, a lot depends on your interpretation of "affirmative," which is never defined. The rule is appropriately ambiguous. (c) the world is not going to end / a witch hunt is not going to start as the result of this. The media are far more likely to start the latter, but they've burned themselves and people are starting to get wise to them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »

Dude, do you have any recollection of Steubenville?  Basically the whole town was up in arms that "how could you besmirch the honor of our sainted football players!"  And that's not an isolated incident, that's basically de rigeur in our culture even when they're not on the team.  If you make a rape accusation, be prepared to have people think you're a monster for accusing their friends, who "could never have done it!".  Be prepared for opposing counsel to try and dig through your sex life to prove that you were a dirty slut "asking for it".  Be prepared to have to re-live your trauma, under the klieg lights of the press and disapproving social circles and the witness stand.  Be prepared, even if you do everything right by the book to end up in situations like these:

Can the bolded part really be avoided though? While disgusting, it is their job to use any argument that could prove beneficial for their client (whether that involves appealing to the prejudices of the jury, or anything else). That certainly isn't unique to rape cases.

How would we feel if prosecutors appealed to racist stereotypes in order to win higher conviction rates against black men? Even if true, that "anything goes" kitchen sink strategy is sound legal ethics from perspective of counsel, it doesn't we as a wider society should condone it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:51:29 AM »

Goodness gracious, atlas really needs to ban discussions about feminism. I really don't know why I allowed myself to get sucked into these threads.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:01 AM »

Goodness gracious, atlas really needs to ban discussions about feminism. I really don't know why I allowed myself to get sucked into these threads.

Yeah, this thread is also why we can't have nice things. Other than Marokai's posts, everything about this is bad, bad, and more bad.

lol
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies