Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:17:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?  (Read 8217 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« on: February 18, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »

First off, I do think that our perspectives as a generally privileged cis-male filled forum probably aren't the same as those of women who undergo discrimination and sexism. That being said, a lot of people misconstrue feminism's intent. True feminism means gender equality. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. I do know a few so called feminists that are extremists who tilt towards misandry as opposed to equality. Thus, I don't see them as furthering the goals of feminism at all. Gender equality creates a breakdown of harmful traditional roles and stereotypes, which clearly benefits men. True gender equality creates an environment where men and women have equal value under the law. Once again, this helps both sexes. I don't call myself a feminist for the fear of being seen as trying to make the movement about men because I bring up how equality helps men as well. I call myself an egalitarian who supports the root goals of feminism.

Fine post until the bold, which I want to respond to. You ARE a feminist, but you undermine its image and credibility when you call yourself an "egalitarian who supports the root goals of feminism." Bringing up male benefits does not make the movement about men; the movement has been and will continue to be largely about women simply because they are the ones who suffer from the imbalanced social structures in place today.

A forum with very few women is predictably awful when it comes to this topic.

This. Very much this. That we have posts saying anything but yes is incredibly disturbing.

This forum has incredibly warped and misguided perceptions on what the central tenants of feminism actually are. The reasonable issues that MRAs complain about are covered by feminism.

Not all of them, many certainly (thanks to crossover support or parallels [objectification is an excellent example of a parallel]), but definitely not all of them. And nor can it be that way. To expect that would be to expect MRA's to have all the solutions to issues women face (appallingly, one can find a lot of those egomaniacal ones that actually think they do Tongue), to expect one minority to speak for all minorities, when in fact there are clashes at times.

And even if they did, as any human rights activist can tell you, in a case like this, the main responsibility to get the issues voiced need to lay on the disadvantaged group to lead (in this case men), who gain allies along the way (women and feminists).

Men are the one's being disadvantaged in the status quo? Roll Eyes Even if we take the most favorable take on arguments MRAs like to focus on (ex. divorce, child custody), we still have to weigh those harms against those women endure. Writ large, women are far more worse off on both quantity and quality of problems; men are not the disadvantaged group in the slightest.

Men who are focused on fixing negative male gender roles that go under the MRA movement end up undermining the very cause they are fighting for, because the MRA movement is 1. attempting to shift the narrative that men are somehow victims on balance (which too many fedora types on this forum latch onto) and 2. the movement contains many individuals who want to reaffirm (whether intentionally or not) the patriarchy, which alienates feminists from solving these issues longterm. Integrating into the broader feminist movement is the only correct choice, for the simple reason alone that feminism is literally fighting for the same thing.

The real issues that hurt men are unjust laws in regard to divorce, child custody, and child support, as well as a disturbing trend towards ostracizing and punishing people based on the mere accusation of rape, no matter how baseless or problematic the accuser's story is. Feminists support and push all of these things, so no feminism isn't any kind of solution.

You clearly do not know what feminism actually is. I'll warn you here deus, based on your posts in this area (re. rape/women), it is best for you to not take another step down this road, lest you be willing to be flayed alive by the greater forum community. Please do some reading on the subject.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies