Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:36:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Is feminism the solution to what MRAs often complain about?  (Read 8298 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: February 18, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
« edited: February 18, 2015, 03:57:23 PM by traininthedistance »

Stop implementing laws that people openly admit are sh**ty and prone to overreach?

Oh, God. That Ezra Klein piece is a horror show. California's affirmative consent law is good not just despite a strong likelihood that there will be numerous false convictions... it is good because there will be false convictions! This is someone who epitomizes what it means to be a sane and proper liberal in 2015 making an argument that reduces to "keep them fearful."

I think that's a misreading of Klein's argument, or at least a deeply unfair simplification. False accusations are just so vanishingly rare as it is, and at least personally, I'm skeptical that this law will change that. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2015, 05:31:47 PM by traininthedistance »

Stop implementing laws that people openly admit are sh**ty and prone to overreach?

Oh, God. That Ezra Klein piece is a horror show. California's affirmative consent law is good not just despite a strong likelihood that there will be numerous false convictions... it is good because there will be false convictions! This is someone who epitomizes what it means to be a sane and proper liberal in 2015 making an argument that reduces to "keep them fearful."

I think that's a misreading of Klein's argument, or at least a deeply unfair simplification. False accusations are just so vanishingly rare as it is, and at least personally, I'm skeptical that this law will change that.

How do you interpret this comment, then?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My point here is not that affirmative consent laws are necessarily bad, but that Klein makes a fundamentally illiberal argument in support of them.

Also, how common do false accusations need to be to matter? Does the existing body of research literature convincingly demonstrate that false accusations are, say, less than 5%? 10%?

"Genuinely ambiguous" is not the same thing as "false", but even putting that aside there's a lot more to the article than that one paragraph and I don't think the whole case for affirmative consent laws (either in general or specifically Ezra's take on it) depends on it.  I'd rather drop that paragraph and proffer that the existence of the law can provide a chilling effect on predatory behavior without there needing to be "unfair" prosecutions, sure.

As for "false" accusations, hm.  I was under the impression that the official number was vanishingly small (as in well under 1 percent) but that appears to not actually be the case.  Might have to back up a bit there.  But, still, the official "false" number is pretty inflated, as it includes such "ambiguous" situations (such as when the victim is, say, blackout drunk and too inebriated to consent, or if there's undue pressure/coercion involved), as well as cases where due to social pressure/hostile police/whatever the victim retracts a legitimate, truthful allegation. Even if the "official" number is eight* percent or something, that's still a) way WAY lower than the incidence of unambiguous sexual assaults that never get reported, and b) the rate of outright fabrications are, I'm sure, much more miniscule.

*Which, even in its inflated state, is a far cry lower than what a lot of people think it is.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:45 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2015, 01:35:38 AM by traininthedistance »

Feminists pick up studies that say it's anywhere from 1-5% (this number is so low that it strains logic something fierce to believe) and MRAs throw around numbers like ~40% which of course they would because that just benefits the "bitches be crazy" narratives of creepy MRAs.

Really?  I honestly have a hard time believing that it could be as high as 5 percent.  It seems that the reputable studies floating out there seem to float somewhere in the range of 8 percent, but as I pointed out to Nix even they are riddled with false negatives such that the true incidence of false allegations is most certainly lower than that, and more or less perfectly in line with feminist claims.  If outright fabrications (as opposed to legit cases being dropped for personal reasons, or "ambiguous" situations) were even one percent I'd be surprised.

I don't even know if I agree with the blanket statement of "society is tilted toward being harsh to rape victims." What does that mean?

Well, man, if you don't agree with that statement than we are sufficiently far apart on points of basic reality that I'm not sure that engaging will do much good.  But I'll try anyway.

extra-legal sexual assault squads formed by colleges and universities that are ran by young showboaters; the types who will simply dole out punishments before serious investigations have even taken place and maintain them even if the subjects have been cleared

Uh?  Really?  Pretty sure that handling these sorts of cases in-house generally leads to perpetrators getting away with it, on the grounds that the college wants to sweep bad publicity under the rug, rather than it being some sort of hangin' judge kangaroo court scenario?  Kinda was under the impression they had the exact opposite problem?

but I don't think the average person seriously treats alleged rape victims with some sort of disdain.

Dude, do you have any recollection of Steubenville?  Basically the whole town was up in arms that "how could you besmirch the honor of our sainted football players!"  And that's not an isolated incident, that's basically de rigeur in our culture even when they're not on the team.  If you make a rape accusation, be prepared to have people think you're a monster for accusing their friends, who "could never have done it!".  Be prepared for opposing counsel to try and dig through your sex life to prove that you were a dirty slut "asking for it".  Be prepared to have to re-live your trauma, under the klieg lights of the press and disapproving social circles and the witness stand.  Be prepared, even if you do everything right by the book to end up in situations like these:

When I was in Canada a couple weeks ago I was watching CBC Montreal just for funsies and there was a segment about a local woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted, she went straight to the police, they conducted a rape kit, asked questions, did all the proper procedure. But then weeks went by, then months. It turned out the police took (from memory) like three months to get the rape kit analyzed and sent back. That's f**king outrageous, and thankfully, is one of the aspects of this problem we can directly address, and should be directly addressing. We definitely need more people specifically to deal with sexual assault cases.

...and then, if you don't go by the book because you're stunned by the trauma or you were assaulted while unconscious or whatever, be prepared for people to second-guess and victim-blame til the cows come home and have it even worse.  That's what "tilted towards being harsh towards rape victims" means.

Imagine you're a judge for a moment and you're presented with a case that involves a man and a woman both in their early twenties, clean cut, otherwise totally unremarkable individuals. The man is accused of rape. The incident allegedly happened when they were alone, there are no direct witnesses, each individual has their friends there as character witnesses backing up what swell people they are. There's no physical evidence either way. Statute says the accused could face up to a decade in prison. What do you do?

Of course, it makes so much difference that the man is "clean cut", and has character witnesses (as if well-liked people can't do horrible things)!  And it's not like the only options are "decade in jail" and "get off scot free"– the law distinguishes between various degrees of offenses.

I mean, I get why convictions are hard.  That is not something we can wish away. And I don't think that the affirmative consent law will or even could change that– it's not actually removing "innocent until proven guilty" from the legal system.  What it is doing, however, is removing some of the most transparent and disingenuous defenses that assaulters use, e.g. "she was blackout drunk and couldn't say no, so I didn't do anything wrong!" I think that's obviously a good thing.

And, no, of course it isn't going to incentivize people to start making false accusations that they otherwise wouldn't; as mentioned above going through these trials is basically always a traumatic experience and, come on, virtually nobody's going to put themselves through that voluntarily.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »

Goodness gracious, atlas really needs to ban discussions about feminism. I really don't know why I allowed myself to get sucked into these threads.

Yeah, this thread is also why we can't have nice things. Other than Marokai's posts, everything about this is bad, bad, and more bad.

Agreed

This thread has been nothing but ignorance, myopia, dismissal, hypocrisy, cognitive dissonance, and in my case, a lack of articulation. The former five make it impossible to actually try and bring up issues. The final only exacerbates the former.

So I'm washing my hands of this, and sighing a breath of relief  should this topic get locked.

But while it still goes, I'm still not touching this thread with a nine-yard stick again.

Yes, I do believe that it would be best for Atlas to stop talking about these issues, at least until this place isn't such a sausagefest.  The lack of women's voices in these discussions is a pretty obvious problem.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2015, 07:17:31 PM by traininthedistance »

Yes, I do believe that it would be best for Atlas to stop talking about these issues, at least until this place isn't such a sausagefest.  The lack of women's voices in these discussions is a pretty obvious problem.

I want more women on Atlas just as well, but it wouldn't make the identical arguments being made here suddenly infallible.

Sorry to bump this, meant to respond but got distracted by MAD REDISTRICTING-A-PALOOZA elsewhere on this here site.

I've been thinking about this statement. I disagree in ways that are strong but hard to coherently articulate.  I guess what I will say is that the failure here seems to be more one of emphasis and perspective rather than just logic-in-a-vacuum, and that's something that would be remedied by a more welcoming atmosphere/diverse presence ipso facto.

I kind of feel like I ought to launch a more rigorous defense of the above statement, but, again, my attention has been diverted elsewhere, so you probably shouldn't hold your breath.  Just wanted to get the above on the record, sorry if this seems like a cop-out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies