War is coming
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:51:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  War is coming
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: War is coming  (Read 6363 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:52 PM »

Yes, of course. We are going to have a big war within the next 4-5 years.
Care to expand on this? I am curious.

Russia has not been controlled or contained.

Russia would have to advance past the old Iron Curtain (save East Germany) for actual war to break out.  proxy war is already happening.

No, just as soon as any NATO member is invaded.

you think Putin can't get a few of the old Soviet bloc countries to 'voluntarily' renounce NATO membership?

You see, those dictators want to control a country, not being some regional governor than can be fired at will by Putin.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

Russia would have to advance past the old Iron Curtain (save East Germany) for actual war to break out.  proxy war is already happening.

you think Putin can't get a few of the old Soviet bloc countries to 'voluntarily' renounce NATO membership?

You see, those dictators want to control a country, not being some regional governor than can be fired at will by Putin.

No dictators in the Soviet bloc countries that have joined NATO.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »

yeah - one reason being that a Western ally automatically earns the title of small-d democrat by virtue of being a Western ally (ie: allow US military bases, expropriation of profits by Western corporations).  Colombia the democratic haven, Venezuela the Stalinist hellhole.

hence Lukashenko is the "last European dictator" - Belarus refused mass privatization and maintained close ties to Moscow.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

yeah - one reason being that a Western ally automatically earns the title of small-d democrat by virtue of being a Western ally (ie: allow US military bases, expropriation of profits by Western corporations).  Colombia the democratic haven, Venezuela the Stalinist hellhole.

hence Lukashenko is the "last European dictator" - Belarus refused mass privatization and maintained close ties to Moscow.

But he is being less and less close since Ukraine invasion.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »

No I don't think that's possible, in fact I don't see how anyone could see that as possible.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2015, 05:19:40 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Nah, the post-communist countries that have joined NATO are democracies by any reasonable standard. Albania is the most problematic of them, but even that has democratic institutions and far better human rights than Russia or Belarus (one of the least free countries in the world).

We are talking about:

Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »

Okay please enligthen us wise one with how the Baltic Countries, Poland and Romania are dictatorships.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »

yeah - one reason being that a Western ally automatically earns the title of small-d democrat by virtue of being a Western ally (ie: allow US military bases, expropriation of profits by Western corporations).  Colombia the democratic haven, Venezuela the Stalinist hellhole.

Okay please enligthen us wise one with how the Baltic Countries, Poland and Romania are dictatorships.

I never asserted anything of the sort and I'm not fit for this sort of conversation anyway.  I was making a point about Western use of vocabulary... whether Poland's elections are "free and fair" according to Freedom House I could care less.

btw, I was impressed that one of those reports in grading the US did comment negatively on the rights of labor to organize, how de facto labor organization via the NLRA is all but impossible as to be considered a (minor) human rights violation.  made me gain an inch of respect for those reports.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »

Nah, the post-communist countries that have joined NATO are democracies by any reasonable standard. Albania is the most problematic of them, but even that has democratic institutions and far better human rights than Russia or Belarus (one of the least free countries in the world).

We are talking about:

Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania.

You don't find Hungary as concerning as Albania?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:16 PM »

yeah - one reason being that a Western ally automatically earns the title of small-d democrat by virtue of being a Western ally (ie: allow US military bases, expropriation of profits by Western corporations).  Colombia the democratic haven, Venezuela the Stalinist hellhole.

I never asserted anything of the sort and I'm not fit for this sort of conversation anyway.  I was making a point about Western use of vocabulary... whether Poland's elections are "free and fair" according to Freedom House I could care less.

Well of course you do not care. You do not care whether a country is a democracy or a dictatorship in general. Nor do you know the difference.

You would, though, if you had experience living in a dictatorship.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »

Well of course you do not care. You do not care whether a country is a democracy or a dictatorship in general. Nor do you know the difference.

You would, though, if you had experience living in a dictatorship.

In breaking news, Communist living comfortably in Western democracy does not care for the plight oppressed masses in far-away dictatorships. Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »

Well of course you do not care. You do not care whether a country is a democracy or a dictatorship in general.

my point is, nor does US power.  so long as a) resources (incl. labor) can be extracted for profit, and b) you allow a few US military bases, degree of internal repression does not matter.  yet the language is co-opted to paint a different picture.  and that language and thought-world bleeds into supposedly neutral registers of World freedom.

In breaking news, Communist living comfortably in Western democracy does not care for the plight oppressed masses in far-away dictatorships. Tongue

I'm not in a position to do any advocacy for the "oppressed masses" in "faraway places". if I have the capacity to change how any power system works, it's in my own country (since it is ostensibly a democracy, perhaps I can have an impact). I'll criticize the power system that I can do something about.

if you think cheerleading for your power system is somehow a morally superior act, that's of course your prerogative.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »

How would you know that, as you, obviously, cannot distinguish democracy from a fried egg, even if your life depended on it?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 09:07:40 PM »

Putin's new alliance will consist not of NATO nations but of the following;

North Korea
Iran
Syria
Belarus
Kazakhstan
Sudan
Zimbabwe
Venezuela
Argentina
Bolivia
Ecuador
Nicaragua

See that Latin American power bloc emerging? Scary stuff!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 09:31:02 PM »

How would you know that, as you, obviously, cannot distinguish democracy from a fried egg, even if your life depended on it?

certainly I can: only the egg can be eaten.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

certainly I can: only the egg can be eaten.

Enjoy your evening meal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28food%29#mediaviewer/File:Inside_a_Balut_-_Embryo_and_Yolk.jpg
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 02:46:38 AM »

You seem to be under the false impression that 2015 Eastern Europe is virtually identical to 1985 Eastern Europe, with basically everything in those countries having stayed the same, except that they are members of NATO now with pro-American puppet dictatorships instead of pro-Russian puppet dictatorships in place.

Well, let's just say that you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about and leave it at that...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies