Oklahoma tries to ban APUSH (& possibly others AP classes)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:23:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oklahoma tries to ban APUSH (& possibly others AP classes)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oklahoma tries to ban APUSH (& possibly others AP classes)  (Read 5060 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
« edited: February 17, 2015, 05:10:31 PM by SMilo »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2015/02/17/3623683/oklahoma-lawmakers-vote-overwhleming-ban-advanced-placement-history-class/

#MuhLocalEducation
#MuhFreedomOfSpeech
#OklahomaTop5InFreedom

Apparently even private groups like College Board are as bad (or worse!) than Common Core.
So much for Oklahoma ever turning itself around.

It's amazing how far backwards the extremes actually want to regress.

At least, students are still permitted to take the exam - for the time being.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2015, 05:11:13 PM by RFayette »

I'm surprised they haven't voted to ban AP Biology, given that it teaches evolution & the Earth being billions of years old.

Ironically, many Oklahomans in academically-competitive schools would breathe a sigh of relief with this ruling.  APUSH, while an easy exam, is a very difficult course.

EDIT:  The Mercatus index giving Oklahoma #5 in freedom seems heavily biased toward economic issues.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »

Why don't they just pass a law authorizing Sunday school only?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »

If it weren't for Supreme Court rulings about separation of church and state, Oklahoma would probably be teaching science based on the KJV and Ken Ham/Kent Hovind young-Earth creationist lectures.

What a problem.......
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »

What exactly are they teaching that is "bad"? Our country has a pretty decent history. The only thing I can think of are the atrocities committed against Native Americans, which cannot and should not be ignored. Maybe if they taught more about that we wouldn't have a genocidal murderer on our twenty dollar bill.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »

The right-wing anti-intellectual crusade continues.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »

If only Sherman was still alive, to put these rednecks in their place. Cry
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »

If it weren't for Supreme Court rulings about separation of church and state, Oklahoma would probably be teaching science based on the KJV and Ken Ham/Kent Hovind young-Earth creationist lectures.

What a problem.......

The Okies really respect those rulings too. That's why they voted to ban Sharia Law 70%-30%
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »

What a problem.......

The Okies really respect those rulings too. That's why they voted to ban Sharia Law 70%-30%

Yeah, Oklahoma has joke politics.  All I was saying was, without the Court putting a little pressure to retain sanity, the state would go utterly off the deep end, likely teaching things like this or perhaps even this even in traditional public schools.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »

Well, the shame is that there are possibly brilliant people being robbed of their potential in an environment like this. That's the loss.

What a problem.......

Yeah, out in the middle of Pennsylvania we had the Darwin on trial business back in 2004-05 where a school board tried to insert religion into the science curriculum, and the school board lost in court. NOVA did a documentary on it. Ken Ham is making up fiction that isn't science at all, but it fits how these people want to see the world.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »

This is disturbing. APUSH actually attempts to do what real history courses are supposed to which is present different ways to interpret and analyze our country's history.

Surprised this hasn't happened earlier.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »

This is exactly why no one in their right mind could support "states' rights"
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2015, 06:26:14 PM by PR »

This is disturbing. APUSH actually attempts to do what real history courses are supposed to which is present different ways to interpret and analyze our country's history.

You think the Right in this country wants people to even know of "different ways to interpret and analyze our country's history"?(nevermind whether students agree with them or not).

The purpose of education from the Right's perspective is to create loyal citizens and employees. They think questioning anything is a useless luxury at best, dangerous subversiveness at worst. This is nothing new.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »

I agree with you, plus as an aspiring professional historian, this whole mess makes me angry.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »

Seems like a step in the right direction.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »

My only surprise is that Oklahoma hasn't been beaten to this by other astates. The South sucks, exhibit number 378 12
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »

You're effing kidding, right? Care to elaborate?

And for extra masochism on my part, what would be the next 'right' step.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »

You're effing kidding, right? Care to elaborate?

It's Cassius. See my quote in his sig.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »

You think the Right in this country wants people to even know of "different ways to interpret and analyze our country's history"?(nevermind whether students agree with them or not).

The purpose of education from the Right's perspective is to create loyal citizens and employees. They think questioning anything is a useless luxury at best, dangerous subversiveness at worst. This is nothing new.

I'm very much right-wing and I strongly believe that we should teach both the good and the bad about any country, including America.  I remember when I was 13 and my history textbook talked about some of America's actions in the Middle East and I remember being so appalled that America could possibly do anything wrong.  It's probably why I have my views on foreign policy today.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »

Disgusting.

Panda Express

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 07:42:28 PM »

Disturbing stuff, and it takes a lot to disturb me these days.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »

The American Freikorps movement is growing.
Representative MJM
mjmsh22
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »

How is this even happening? I can't even understand how such chauvinism exists in this country. This goes against free speech no matter how you look at it. Besides, I took APUSH, and it never caused me to hate America. I guess I'll leave that to these far-right Oklahomans that cannot even point to any inaccurate information in the curriculum. There is no place for censorship or bias in education.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »

Fools!

Anyway, I can't say I am at all a fan of this.  This idea that kids should be taught American history without it's bad qualities is just well wrong.  Teaching an exceptionalist view of History is not History.  It's Propaganda.

I know it's cliche, but if you don't learn your History you're doomed to repeat it.  If you are a remotely intelligent and rational individual your understanding of History informs your politics.  Getting rid of classes because they teach actual history instead of the feel good mail stamp version of it causes real damage to the psyche of this current generation.

This is not good at all.  In fact I am going to write a letter to the Oklahoma Legislature telling them exactly what I think in no small words about  their recent vote.  I hope that some wise guy in a federal court has the balls to strike this sh*t down.

Seriously, this is just wrong.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 07:59:14 PM »

The Texas GOP literally added opposition to the teaching of critical thinking skills to their platform a few years back.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies