Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act  (Read 3543 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »
« edited: April 29, 2005, 01:33:36 AM by John D. Ford »

Ya how dare those poverty stricken children take tax dollars from more usefull things like tax cuts for the rich.

We currently have nearly a $503 billion deficit.  There are a lot of things that need to be cut in order to get that down to a reasonable level, and like John Ford says, even then a marginal tax increase may be necessary if there are simply not enough things we can cut without serious consequences.

Actually, Tom Hobbes said that. Wink  I take no position on the issue.  My real opinion is that it would be hard to get people to agree on cutting most programs, and that in the end the only thing that will prove aggreable is a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2005, 06:18:46 AM »

Ya how dare those poverty stricken children take tax dollars from more usefull things like tax cuts for the rich.

We currently have nearly a $503 billion deficit.  There are a lot of things that need to be cut in order to get that down to a reasonable level, and like John Ford says, even then a marginal tax increase may be necessary if there are simply not enough things we can cut without serious consequences.

Actually, Tom Hobbes said that. Wink  I take no position on the issue.  My real opinion is that it would be hard to get people to agree on cutting most programs, and that in the end the only thing that will prove aggreable is a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts.

Okay, as Tom Hobbes said, then. Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2005, 11:13:03 AM »

There are others ways to cut the deficit.  Perhaps if we just cut fundin by, say 20%.  I would even support a 40% cut, just as long as we got to keep some of the program.  Why has the "Selet Committee to Cut Wasteful Spending" not reported back with any recomendations yet?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2005, 02:08:24 PM »

There are others ways to cut the deficit.  Perhaps if we just cut fundin by, say 20%.  I would even support a 40% cut, just as long as we got to keep some of the program.  Why has the "Selet Committee to Cut Wasteful Spending" not reported back with any recomendations yet?

First off I could hardly see how a 20%-40% cut could actually put a sufficiently large dent in the deficit as we need. As Gabu said we are $503 billion dollars in the red we need to not take baby steps and actually start cutting major amounts.

The only way to keep these welfare nets providing the same amount of services would be to A) Wait for the economy to return and in the meantime try and keep new spending to a minimum, B) Have major tax increases on either personal income or business income (or both), in which case Atlasian News Corp LTD. would then be based in Nassau, The Bahamas Smiley, or C) Cut defence spending. I would rather not wait around aimlessly for the economy to return, with no actual evidence that an upturn in the economy will decrease the deficit, nor do I want to raise taxes or cut defence spending, especially during such a choatic time in world history. That is the reason why we need to cut large parts of our budget before and during the June overview of the budget.

In response to your last question myself and Sam have been unable to contact Nym for some time. We did not think it wise to only assemble the committee with only two of the three members. It has seemed to fall into disuse. I believe this committee could actually get something done if it had a different third member, definitely somebody very active.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2005, 02:14:24 PM »

First off I could hardly see how a 20%-40% cut could actually put a sufficiently large dent in the deficit as we need. As Gabu said we are $503 billion dollars in the red we need to not take baby steps and actually start cutting major amounts.

The only way to keep these welfare nets providing the same amount of services would be to A) Wait for the economy to return and in the meantime try and keep new spending to a minimum, B) Have major tax increases on either personal income or business income (or both), in which case Atlasian News Corp LTD. would then be based in Nassau, The Bahamas Smiley, or C) Cut defence spending. I would rather not wait around aimlessly for the economy to return, with no actual evidence that an upturn in the economy will decrease the deficit, nor do I want to raise taxes or cut defence spending, especially during such a choatic time in world history. That is the reason why we need to cut large parts of our budget before and during the June overview of the budget.

In response to your last question myself and Sam have been unable to contact Nym for some time. We did not think it wise to only assemble the committee with only two of the three members. It has seemed to fall into disuse. I believe this committee could actually get something done if it had a different third member, definitely somebody very active.

Why not simply ask Gabu to appoint a new member of the committee?  A swaer, sometimes people make things far more complicated than they have to be.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2005, 11:10:22 PM »

It's been twenty-four hours since this one got the votes to pass and all dat.

Also, I would happy if the PPT appoints a new person on the committee.  Honestly, I have been so busy the last couple of weeks, Nym's inactivity had sort of skipped my mind.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »

With 5 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 not voting and 2 seats vacant, this legislation has passed.

I send this the way of the President for his signature.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies