Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:08:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act  (Read 3571 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: April 24, 2005, 06:16:51 PM »

I'd just like to say that, holy cow, we're on the last page of the legislation introduction thread. Wink

Anyways, on to the bill...

As introduced by Sen. Sam Spade:

Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act

Co-Sponsor:  Senator NixonNow (ACA-NJ)

Clauses

1.     The Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act is hereby repealed.

2.   The projected savings to the Federal Government is projected to be $17.65 Billion dollars for FY 2006 and a projected $176.50 Billion dollars over the next ten years.

3.     All funds previously appropriated by the Senate for FY 2005 to fulfill the requirements of this legislation shall be honored by the Federal Government.

4.   All appropriations and other moneys set to be authorized for fulfillment of this legislation in the Preliminary Version of the Federal Budget for FY 2006 and all future Fiscal Years shall be terminated.

5.   If previous appropriations have resulted in the construction of new facilities or the purchase of land for the construction of new facilities, the land or new facilities must be sold at a fair price to private concerns and the resulting revenue must be included in the Education Sub-Department of the Treasury and Social Services Department revenue figures for the proceeding Fiscal Year.

6.   A sum of no less than three-fourths (75% or $13.2375 Billion dollars) and no greater than the whole (100%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this repeal of this Act must be designated towards the general Budgetary fund and the necessity of covering the present Budget’s shortfall and may not be authorized by the Senate to fund any other appropriations in this present Fiscal Year (2006).

7.   A sum of no less than none (0%) and no greater than one-fourth (25% or $4.4125 Billion dollars) of the appropriations and money procured by the repeal of the Act may be authorized by the Senate in future legislation to fund appropriations and expenditures exclusively within the Education Sub-Department for FY 2006.

I hereby open debate on this bill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:20:58 PM »

Good to hear you're not Mike Naso. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 07:27:36 PM »

I'm neutral on this, currently; does the GM have any report on any effects that this legislation has created?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 08:24:59 PM »

I'm neutral on this, currently; does the GM have any report on any effects that this legislation has created?

Reason 1:  At present we have a budget deficit over  $500 billion dollars.  By July, this will need to be reduced to somewhere around the $200 billion dollar range (unless we declare war on some sh**tty country for the hell of it).

Of all the social programs that exist, this one and the Prescription Drug Reform that Congress passed in 2003 are the most aggregiously terrible of the two.  You will see me push for eliminating that next.  Hopefully, with those two eliminated, we won't have to raise taxes as much in July as we will presently have to.

I'm leaning towards supporting this purely because we seriously need to cut something, but I just wanted to make sure that it hasn't done any wonderful things that I'm unaware of.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 04:14:24 AM »

Given that debate seems to have stopped, I hereby call a vote to this legislation.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 07:52:20 PM »

I'm going to wait to see Sam's editorial before making a decision.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 08:05:06 PM »

Well, as I said before, we desperately need to cut something, so, while this may have been beneficial in some ways...

Aye.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 10:40:11 PM »

This legislation now has enough votes to pass; senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 12:17:26 AM »

Ya how dare those poverty stricken children take tax dollars from more usefull things like tax cuts for the rich.

We currently have nearly a $503 billion deficit.  There are a lot of things that need to be cut in order to get that down to a reasonable level, and like John Ford says, even then a marginal tax increase may be necessary if there are simply not enough things we can cut without serious consequences.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 12:28:27 AM »

Why not just cut everything except defense spending?

Because we're not you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 06:18:46 AM »

Ya how dare those poverty stricken children take tax dollars from more usefull things like tax cuts for the rich.

We currently have nearly a $503 billion deficit.  There are a lot of things that need to be cut in order to get that down to a reasonable level, and like John Ford says, even then a marginal tax increase may be necessary if there are simply not enough things we can cut without serious consequences.

Actually, Tom Hobbes said that. Wink  I take no position on the issue.  My real opinion is that it would be hard to get people to agree on cutting most programs, and that in the end the only thing that will prove aggreable is a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts.

Okay, as Tom Hobbes said, then. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies