Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:22:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act  (Read 3563 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: April 24, 2005, 06:22:32 PM »

Anyone have a link to the original act?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:26:40 PM »

Thank you
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:32:21 PM »

I must come out against the repeal of this act.  While it provides for more government than I would like, it does make it easier for women to choose to take a pregnancy to term.  Also, the repeal of this act would be a disater for those who are currently utilizing the benefits granted here-in.  I must support the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act and encourage all of my fellow Senators to do the same.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:27:12 PM »

I would suggest an amendment to abolish the Department of Education, if this doesn't do that already. Canada has no such thing.

Yeah, that's because they want to placate the Frenchies.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:23:16 PM »

I must come out against the repeal of this act.  While it provides for more government than I would like, it does make it easier for women to choose to take a pregnancy to term.  Also, the repeal of this act would be a disater for those who are currently utilizing the benefits granted here-in.  I must support the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act and encourage all of my fellow Senators to do the same.

Couldn't you reintroduce a constitutional version of your Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill instead to handle your first concern?*

And perhaps a phased-out process of reducing benefits instead of an abrupt halt would be better?

*Hey, if the UaTM Bill was unconstitutional, why would this bill still be constitutional? Just wondering...

Not according to the ruling by the court.  Hopefully I will be able to pass an ammendment that will allow for it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »

Nay
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 11:13:03 AM »

There are others ways to cut the deficit.  Perhaps if we just cut fundin by, say 20%.  I would even support a 40% cut, just as long as we got to keep some of the program.  Why has the "Selet Committee to Cut Wasteful Spending" not reported back with any recomendations yet?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:14:24 PM »

There are others ways to cut the deficit.  Perhaps if we just cut fundin by, say 20%.  I would even support a 40% cut, just as long as we got to keep some of the program.  Why has the "Selet Committee to Cut Wasteful Spending" not reported back with any recomendations yet?

First off I could hardly see how a 20%-40% cut could actually put a sufficiently large dent in the deficit as we need. As Gabu said we are $503 billion dollars in the red we need to not take baby steps and actually start cutting major amounts.

The only way to keep these welfare nets providing the same amount of services would be to A) Wait for the economy to return and in the meantime try and keep new spending to a minimum, B) Have major tax increases on either personal income or business income (or both), in which case Atlasian News Corp LTD. would then be based in Nassau, The Bahamas Smiley, or C) Cut defence spending. I would rather not wait around aimlessly for the economy to return, with no actual evidence that an upturn in the economy will decrease the deficit, nor do I want to raise taxes or cut defence spending, especially during such a choatic time in world history. That is the reason why we need to cut large parts of our budget before and during the June overview of the budget.

In response to your last question myself and Sam have been unable to contact Nym for some time. We did not think it wise to only assemble the committee with only two of the three members. It has seemed to fall into disuse. I believe this committee could actually get something done if it had a different third member, definitely somebody very active.

Why not simply ask Gabu to appoint a new member of the committee?  A swaer, sometimes people make things far more complicated than they have to be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies