Are you getting ashes on your forehead today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you getting ashes on your forehead today?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you getting ashes on your forehead today?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Are you getting ashes on your forehead today?  (Read 3971 times)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »

No, and I'm never met anyone who's said they've done this. Where I live isn't big on Catholicism.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2015, 10:26:57 PM by Linus Van Pelt »

The above exchange among the Canadians is a bit surprising to me; I definitely saw this growing up in Toronto. But I guess it makes sense, since certain immigrant groups actually go to mass more than nonimmigrant Francophones.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »

I used to, when I went to a catholic primary,middle and secondary school, but now, I am an atheist, so obviously no.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 11:06:16 PM »

The above exchange among the Canadians is a bit surprising to me; I definitely saw this growing up in Toronto. But I guess it makes sense, since certain immigrant groups actually go to mass more than nonimmigrant Francophones.

I asked my mother about it, she said than she did that when she was young (like most people), but she is surprised it's still done at some places because it's not done around here anymore.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:03 AM »

Yes.  I also was the lector for the non-Gospel readings at the Lutheran church I go to for Bible study on Wednesdays.  Sometimes the readings are rather dry, but both of the Ash Wednesday non-Gospel readings today were fairly dramatic.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:38 AM »

I've never seen it here and I come from a Catholic family so I feel like I should have? I asked my mum about it and she said that her school used to do it but maybe it's mostly been dropped now.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 02:31:46 AM »

Yes, though not until evening.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:42 AM »

Yep, the Catholic school made me.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 04:27:19 AM »

No, I'm not a Catholic.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »

I always thought that it was an evening thing as well, but I think nowadays it's all day.  Apparently, they even have drive-through ashing fests in some parishes.  I'd expect no less from the culture that gave the world Reform Judaism, fast food, the thighmaster, and Cheese Whiz.  Just roll down the window and the monsignor gives you a traditional dusty black cross on the head.   

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »

No, not religious, but a slightly amusing thing happened.

I stopped to get a coffee and a small cannoli yesterday morning for a midmorning snack, and on the way out I bumped into an acquaintance of mine. So we talked for a few minutes, but he had in the middle of his forehead a roundish gray-black mark, and I thought, "I hope he didn't fall down on the ice or get splattered out in the parking lot." Then I saw later in the day that it was Ash Wednesday, and I thought, "Oh, my buddy had been at church." I didn't even know that's what it was, ha.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »

Which immigrants? Toronto has a sizable Hispanic community, which doesn't exist elsewhere in the country (I suppose Montreal has some). It can't be common among Italians, since they're everywhere. Certainly not among French Canadians.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »

No (godless communist)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »

No one does that in the Heartland.
I can also attest to this. People in Memphis (I was actually in Phoenix yesterday, but whatever) want to look all preppy and put together. You can't do that and be ashy. Maybe they do it and church and rub it off before going out in public.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »

Which immigrants? Toronto has a sizable Hispanic community, which doesn't exist elsewhere in the country (I suppose Montreal has some). It can't be common among Italians, since they're everywhere. Certainly not among French Canadians.

I don't think this is really an ethnic thing; I'm not a Catholic, but as I understand it, if you go to Catholic mass on Ash Wednesday, you will get it. Partially it's just an issue of numbers - obviously the median Italian-Canadian our age whose grandparents came from Italy doesn't go to mass regularly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »

Around here, Ash Wednesday is more associated with Lutherans than Catholics, but that's because we have more Lutherans here than Catholics.
Small L
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2015, 11:18:43 PM by Small L »

I don't think this is really an ethnic thing; I'm not a Catholic, but as I understand it, if you go to Catholic mass on Ash Wednesday, you will get it. Partially it's just an issue of numbers - obviously the median Italian-Canadian our age whose grandparents came from Italy doesn't go to mass regularly.
This is correct. It's not a Holy Day of Obligation though, and that can contribute to the lack of people doing it in some places.

Where I live, Ash Wednesday is almost like Easter and Christmas. You get people who normally don't show up coming out of the woodwork. There is also a superstition some people have that if you don't go to mass on Ash Wednesday you will die the following year Tongue
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 11:21:16 PM »

Yea, I'm very surprised by the lack of sightings nationally considering the nonreligious usually go. A+P Catholics - only go to mass when they bring something home with them to show it, and they're all over the Mid-Atlantic. Easter and Christmas are the next tier up of religiosity measures.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »

I should have, but I did not.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2015, 04:03:02 PM by DemPGH »

No one does that in the Heartland.
I can also attest to this. People in Memphis (I was actually in Phoenix yesterday, but whatever) want to look all preppy and put together. You can't do that and be ashy. Maybe they do it and church and rub it off before going out in public.

It always catches me by surprise, but you see it around here with the buttoned-up professional or preppy folks. Mainly 50+ men in suits but also high achieving high school girls and boys who want you to know they were at church. Early. Of course there are a lot of Catholics in western Pennsylvania, so this is probably a cultural thing.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »

Poll PuffPas,
Please, check your PMs Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »

Wierd. I leave in heavilly Catholic Quebec, but I never, ever seen that.

Yeah, I've never seen this anywhere in Canada, and we're a much more Catholic country than the US

It's fairly common in my neck of the woods.

To answer the OP, no I'm not one for Popery.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »

I did, and have every year since becoming an Episcopalian in 2010.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies