UMass Amherst bans Iranian nationals from taking certain science subjects
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:36:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  UMass Amherst bans Iranian nationals from taking certain science subjects
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UMass Amherst bans Iranian nationals from taking certain science subjects  (Read 1655 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/umass-bans-iranian-nationals-science-classes-stirs-backlash-n307806

This has to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

What tolerant liberals Cheesy

You would expect them to do anything they can to annoy the government. I've seen them pride themselves in that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »

No, I think it makes sense.  What exactly is the problem?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »

Maybe if you believe that all Iranian students will work for the government to make WMDs, sure it makes  sense in that twisted world.

It's completely unreasonable and arbitrary discrimination based on nationality, motivated by political paranoia that Iran is trying to build a nuclear weapon (which, by the way, is most likely not their goal).

Hopefully it gets struck down or reversed, because this is pretty stupid.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »

But can they still buy the textbooks at the bookstore?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »

Absolutely disgusting.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2015, 02:14:53 PM by bedstuy »

Maybe if you believe that all Iranian students will work for the government to make WMDs, sure it makes  sense in that twisted world.

It's completely unreasonable and arbitrary discrimination based on nationality, motivated by political paranoia that Iran is trying to build a nuclear weapon (which, by the way, is most likely not their goal).

It's not arbitrary and we do discriminate against certain nations.  We don't sell Iran weapons.  We don't hire Iranian nationals to work at Lockheed Martin.  It's part of our sanctions regime for Iran and it makes sense to guard our technology.

I think from the University's perspective, they want to protect themselves.  They don't want an Iranian graduate students even accidentally doing defense related research.  That's illegal and they could face fines and jail time if it does.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »

No, I think it makes sense.  What exactly is the problem?
Maybe if you believe that all Iranian students will work for the government to make WMDs, sure it makes  sense in that twisted world.

It's not arbitrary and we do discriminate against certain nations.  We don't sell Iran weapons.  We don't hire Iranian nationals to work at Lockheed Martin.  It's part of our sanctions regime for Iran and it makes sense to guard our technology.

Yes it is arbitrary, because it's just a blanket ban rather than going on a case-by-case basis (as what was previously used, noted in the article). The aforementioned subjects that they are banned from are incredibly broad that could cover a vast range of careers, nuclear weapons technology being a tiny and loosely-related part of many of these careers. This is completely unnecessary discrimination.

Oh, I'm sure there are ample opportunities for students to "accidentally" engage in defense-related research in subjects like physics, chemistry, and computers Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »

I also think it's ridiculous and that Israel and Iran both need to learn how to get along, Bedstuy.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

No, I think it makes sense.  What exactly is the problem?
Maybe if you believe that all Iranian students will work for the government to make WMDs, sure it makes  sense in that twisted world.

It's not arbitrary and we do discriminate against certain nations.  We don't sell Iran weapons.  We don't hire Iranian nationals to work at Lockheed Martin.  It's part of our sanctions regime for Iran and it makes sense to guard our technology.

Yes it is arbitrary, because it's just a blanket ban rather than going on a case-by-case basis (as what was previously used, noted in the article). The aforementioned subjects that they are banned from are incredibly broad that could cover a vast range of careers, nuclear weapons technology being a tiny and loosely-related part of many of these careers. This is completely unnecessary discrimination.

Oh, I'm sure there are ample opportunities for students to "accidentally" engage in defense-related research in subjects like physics, chemistry, and computers Roll Eyes

Yes.  The University needs to coordinate that with their lawyers.  Right?  It's very serious, professors can go to jail for allowing foreign nationals to have access to their research.  Computers can involve cryptography, chemistry can involve chemical weapons and physics can involve nuclear technology. 
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »

So what about all the Chinese graduate students one sees on almost any American college campus?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

Iranians?What is this, 1985?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »

Depends upon whether or not they have to go back to Iran.

In grad school I knew several students from the region who were from countries, er, friendlier than Iran. They were on dual stipend - their countries were paying them to come here plus they were on stipend here as grad assistants as well. The catch was that they had to go back when their education was complete. Can't imagine that Iran of all places would be any different. So in this case we're going to train them so they can go back to a hostile country with state-of-the-art knowledge? Unwise. Assuming they have to go back, saying "we're not accepting Iranian nationals to these programs" is a sensible precaution.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »

Not a problem if you think the people of Iran and the state of Iran are one in the same. Otherwise its blatant bigotry and/or fear mongering.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

Bedstuy is correct. This is simple enforcement of US sactions against slowing development of nuclear arms. The same sanctions followed and supported by many international partners. Note the policy applies to Iranian nationals, not anyone of Iraiian descent.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing an opportunity for individual exemptions after hightened background checks and the like.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »

The ban has been reversed. Individualized plans of study will be created. Common sense.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 04:42:43 PM »

Profoundly ashamed that my alma mater even considered this, even if SMilo is correct in saying that they've abandoned the idea
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »

The ban has been reversed. Individualized plans of study will be created. Common sense.

Yep, this is what they should've done from the start. All they've done is bring some bad publicity to themselves because they were too lazy to do what the rest of the nation's colleges do already.

http://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/umass-amherst-will-accept-iranian-students
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:23 AM »

What does the individualized plans of study mean? Will there still be courses they are not allowed to study in?
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 03:08:05 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2015, 03:10:24 AM by beatrice »

They had the same policy at my alma mater too. I was pretty shocked when I heard about it but it must be fairly common. Appalling, of course.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »

How many Iranians even go to school in the US? I'd imagine it can't be very easy for then to get a visa and all for one. Is this something that'd actually common?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

How many Iranians even go to school in the US? I'd imagine it can't be very easy for then to get a visa and all for one. Is this something that'd actually common?

Not a huge number, but more than you'd think - around 10,000: http://www.statista.com/statistics/233880/international-students-in-the-us-by-country-of-origin/.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »

I'm being quite serious...if they aren't called Iranians, what are they called today?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »

I'm being quite serious...if they aren't called Iranians, what are they called today?

Maybe you missed the point of the post.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies