Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:25:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws  (Read 21080 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: March 28, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »

I realize that the National Report isn't as (in)famous as The Onion, but you do realize that was a satirical piece, not a real piece of journalism, right?

No, I had absolutely no idea.

A positive development this is.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »

An interesting radio interview here with a business owner:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/03/28/listen-indiana-restaurant-owner-pledges-to-refuse-service-to-gays/

He's proud of the law and lying to gay people so they leave his restaurant but not proud enough to openly say which restaurant it is. That should be part of these laws; they need to advertise who they won't serve, if not serving certain people is that important to them.

This is ridiculous. The point of the law is to prevent people from being forced from being involved in things they consider immoral, not a blanket pass for discrimination. Gay people eating wouldn't count, I think.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »

Are you seriously quoting H L Mencken? A man who was a critic of democracy and believed strong men had the right to rule the weak? A man who conflated 'race' with caste and talked about racial stocks? A man that said talking to a coloured women was like speaking to a child?

I mean seriously?

A man who said this;  'The educated negro of today is a failure, not because he meets insuperable difficulties in life, but because he is a negro. He is, in brief, a low-caste man, to the manner born, and he will remain inert and inefficient until fifty generations of him have lived in civilization. And even then, the superior white race will be fifty generations ahead of him.'

You are quoting HIM to back up your argument?

Uncomfortably enough, Mencken was in many ways the intellectual godfather of New Deal liberalism...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

Are you seriously quoting H L Mencken? A man who was a critic of democracy and believed strong men had the right to rule the weak? A man who conflated 'race' with caste and talked about racial stocks? A man that said talking to a coloured women was like speaking to a child?

I mean seriously?

A man who said this;  'The educated negro of today is a failure, not because he meets insuperable difficulties in life, but because he is a negro. He is, in brief, a low-caste man, to the manner born, and he will remain inert and inefficient until fifty generations of him have lived in civilization. And even then, the superior white race will be fifty generations ahead of him.'

You are quoting HIM to back up your argument?

Uncomfortably enough, Mencken was in many ways the intellectual godfather of New Deal liberalism...

I guess in the same way Hitler was the godfather of Israel, yeah, that's true.

Yes, that's right- that statement was categorically wrong. Don't know what I was thinking there. Yikes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »

What hypocrisy, considering Connecticut has the same exact law in place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies