Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:28:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws  (Read 21115 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: March 26, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »

Salesforce.com, one of the largest providers of cloud-based CRM software, has announced it is effectively boycotting the state - it will not send any of its employees to Indiana to sell its products or train customers.

Left unclear is what is going to happen to Salesforce employees who are already living and working in Indiana.

Here that, bigots? No Salesforce for you! Your marketing is going to suck from now on!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »

Could this hurt Pence if/when he runs for reelection, or will it still make no difference because Indiana is Indiana?

The Republican areas of Indiana are very, very conservative.  I'm not sure that this is going to hurt him too much outside of galvanizing what liberals the state has. 

What if the dominoes keep falling as far as businesses refusing to do work there or the possibility of them losing out on a major sporting event?

It would be pretty ironic if the party of Muh Job Creators ended up killing/preventing the creation of jobs for sake of defending the bigotry and regressiveness of its supporters and elected officials.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »

Most likely, swastika cakes are not a service that any bakeries (Jewish or otherwise) offer to anybody. The issue here is a minority getting the same service already offered to everybody else.  Are you being this obtuse on purpose?

Some bakeries will put whatever you want on a cake, no questions asked.  Why shouldn't gays or Jewish bakers be held to the same standards?  The issue is forcing someone to do something they find offensive, ratifying, under penalty of law, something they don't believe in.  

And when a gay bakery, who writes messages on cakes, (rightfully) refuses to put a pro-tradtional marriage message on a cake, why isn't that issue a minority - religious people who think gay marriage is a sin - getting the same service already offered to everybody else, too?  Are some minority groups more special than others?
Find me a bakery who will make a swastika cake. I triple dog dare you. There's not one. It'd be all over the news and they'd be out of business immediately. You are so full of shenanigans on this one! And as for comparing gays to Nazis, there aren't enough Roll Eyes emoticons in the world for that.

And why not? If I were a baker, I'd bake someone a cake with swastikas on it if they wanted one. I'd bake someone a cake with a Confederate flag on it. I find those things offensive, but running a business is not the same as acting in a personal capacity.

This is where I tend to disagree with both the cultural Left and Right. A for-profit business serves no purpose other than the maximize the financial returns of its owners. It serves no social purpose. It serves no cultural purpose. When you deviate from maximizing profits, you get into issues like this.

Some liberals try to square the circle by promoting "social responsibility" and "environmental responsibility." If pursuit of profit creates negative social externalities, the answer is to tax the businesses and regulate them in such a way that they bear the cost of those externalities. It's not to try to change the very nature of what a for-profit business is.

Some conservatives have taken corporate personhood to a new extreme and decided businesses can have morality and values. They don't and they shouldn't. There is no such thing as a Christian business or a Jewish business or a Buddhist business.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies