How Do You Politically Compare To Your School/Workplace? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:19:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How Do You Politically Compare To Your School/Workplace? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Do You Politically Compare To Your School/Workplace?  (Read 3641 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« on: February 20, 2015, 10:46:37 AM »

My university (U of I at Urbana-Champaign) is actually fairly apolitical. You really don't have the "activist" culture that some big public universities have. The school is largely divided into these groups, with my estimated percentages:

Loud left-wing activists (10%) - we still have this group, although it is smaller than at Ann Arbor or Madison. There was a big protest on the quad after the Brown/Garner decisions.

Silent Republican (15%) - there's actually a good number of Republicans on campus, but they aren't very political. They go that way because of their parents or because it is "frat." They are left-wing on social issues and centrist or center-right on economic issues. Our business school is large and many of this group are part of that.

Ag Republican (5%) - I've noticed that the agriculture students really stand out as vocally Republican. Many come from downstate and were loud in support of Rauner. This is the most annoying group on campus, albeit smaller.

Silent Democrat (15%) - the corresponding Democratic group. Come from Democratic families and follow suit. They don't know much about the issues other than gay marriage, which they are outspoken about when it is in the news.

Apolitical (65%) - don't care. Really sad that it is such a high number.

Averaging it all out, I am probably right on par with the average or maybe slightly to the left with my sometimes-left-of-Democrats economic stances. It's a politically diverse campus. You won't hardly find a social conservative anywhere. You get some fiscal conservatism (Rauner won one of the campus precincts that encompasses the Catholic dorm and some of the Greek houses). You also have your leftists. Hard to judge since it is such a large school.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies