Have you bought anything at a Radioshack within a year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:33:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Have you bought anything at a Radioshack within a year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you bought anything at a Radioshack within a year?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Have you bought anything at a Radioshack within a year?  (Read 374 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »
« edited: February 18, 2015, 10:28:28 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

No.

I'm kind of surprised they lasted as long as they did. Radioshack basically functioned as an electronics convenience store, it wasn't big enough to have the selection you can get at big boxes, so you just swung by one if needed to pick up something like a TV adapter or phone charger or batteries or whatever. Last thing I bought at one was a new charging cable for my old computer a couple years ago. I know now they were kind of a cell phone reseller mostly. But the business model was very odd in the modern era. I often saw them and just kind of saw them as there like I do with jewelry stores or Hobby Lobby type places that I'll never visit but can imagine who does. Not as much for Radioshack, though I understand they specialized in people who liked DIY electronics projects, and since those are kind of an 80s thing now, it is incredible they lasted for so long.

Oh and http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190

(2007 mind you)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »

Accidentally voted no. I bought some speaker wire for my new turntable setup. The employee that sold it to me was far and away one of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. A more vengeful version of myself would be happy he's likely out of a job now.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »

Yes.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »

RadioShack has become little more then a cell phone dealer these days. In the old days you could buy enough components to build circuit boards from scratch, but that is impossible now that there selection has been reduced so much in that regard. That market is now being served by the internet. Also what they do have is expensive. I need a data cable to install a SATA drive into my older Emachine and it is much cheaper online then it is at RadioShack.

So no.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:07 AM »

I bought a pair of headphones there at some point last year I believe since other stores didn't specifically have what I wanted, but most of the stuff they had was insanely overpriced.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »

They left Canada in 2007 (and most of their stores became "The Source by Circuit City"). Circuit City also went bankrupt, but The Source still lives on. Still overpriced, but very competent and useful staff (unlike Radio Shack).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies