RELIGIOUS FREEDOM! Doctor refuses to care for lesbian couple's 6-day-old baby (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:09:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RELIGIOUS FREEDOM! Doctor refuses to care for lesbian couple's 6-day-old baby (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RELIGIOUS FREEDOM! Doctor refuses to care for lesbian couple's 6-day-old baby  (Read 7429 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: February 19, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »

Disgusting. Hopefully there is some way to sanction this behavior.

Yes, how dare people think differently than you!  Obviously beliefs must be criminalized!

Those are regulated professions, and, usually, the internal rules forbid them to discriminate patients.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »

Don't like the parents' sinfulness?  Take it out on their baby!  👍
Getting a doctor who would be more comfortable interacting with the parents to take her place is taking it out on the baby?

Yes. I realize that you'll excuse nearly anything in the name of religious belief, but separating how one feels about the parents from the welfare of a six-day-old baby is at the very heart of the matter.

Actually, religion is irrelevant on this particular point.  The reason why the doctor chose to be stupid doesn't matter.  I'm already on record on this forum as being generally in favor of allowing people to discriminate.  Only when it becomes so pervasive as to make it unreasonably difficult or impossible for people to obtain needed services should government intervene.

Also, to think that how one feels about the parents of a baby is irrelevant to how one deals with that baby assumes that doctors are machines rather than people.

If you're are unable to go over your bigotry when doing your doctor job, you violate Hippocrates Oath. So, yeah, that person has no business being a doctor. Too bad for all the money she invested, but, she had to do a choice between her job nd her bigotry and she chose her bigotry. I was her choice.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »

Getting a doctor who would be more comfortable interacting with the parents to take her place is taking it out on the baby?

She a member of AAP and AAP has a policy about

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I even bolded the relevent parts to you.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »

She a member of AAP and AAP has a policy about

I even bolded the relevent parts to you.

And I have no problem with the AAP choosing to sanction the doctor for this.  After all, the AAP is not the government.

Well, for the record, her behaviour is illegal in 22 states, according to various news reports.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:31:18 PM »

Ernest.

I'm already on record on this forum as being generally in favor of allowing people to discriminate.  Only when it becomes so pervasive as to make it unreasonably difficult or impossible for people to obtain needed services should government intervene.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:35:27 AM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies