Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:32:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available  (Read 3560 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 12:40:36 AM »

Sorry bud, Sarah Palin's talking points from 2010 don't really hold much water around these parts.

Don't hide behind Sarah Palin when the heat lamps are shined on you. If you can't justify your position, repent.

Right, the guy who for some reason injected one of Sarah Palin's lies about Obamacare into a topic about the death penalty isn't the guy hiding behind Sarah Palin; it's actually me.  Got it.  And, um, yea verily forsooth ye heathens etc.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 01:37:08 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 01:41:25 AM by ag »

All this whining about "not being able to get the drugs" is merely an expression of people being nervous about the death penalty. They got somehow used to the existing procedure (with its established drug cocktail), but any "tinkering with the machinery of death" that requires minimal thinking and minimal departure from the protocol approved by their forefathers is making them savagely uncomfortable. Well, that is exactly the point of death penalty opponents: they have nothing against executioners being uncomfortable. There is no "democratic" requirement that people uncomfortable about their own actions should feel a general societal support for what they are doing.

What is your point? You're comfortable with the possible unintended consequences visited upon America's prison population, as long as it furthers your absolutist moral agenda. You think people with a conscience are making a mockery of your desired outcome.

Anyone who reads your economic posts knows your modus operandi by now.

Well, I, honestly, do not see much of a difference between a lethal injection and a firing squad. Or drawing and quartering, for that matter. Nor do I detect a sign of a "conscience" in the people who do.

As a certain Russian bishop once said, when they tried to draw his attention to the fact that not all communists were equally bad: "I am not a connoisseur of various kinds of sh.t".

Mind it: I personally know at least one guy who does have very valid personal reasons to defend death penalty. I would not be that cavalier when talking to him. But even then: it is precisely that there are people who have valid personal reasons to defend death penalty that makes me even more adamant that, as a matter of policy, it should not exist.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »

Right, the guy who for some reason injected one of Sarah Palin's lies about Obamacare into a topic about the death penalty isn't the guy hiding behind Sarah Palin; it's actually me.  Got it.  And, um, yea verily forsooth ye heathens etc.

I'm talking about single-payer and universal healthcare as economic systems. I'm not referencing some tired political argument that happened during the backchanneling phase of ACA.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:08 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 09:17:39 AM by AggregateDemand »

Well, I, honestly, do not see much of a difference between a lethal injection and a firing squad. Or drawing and quartering, for that matter. Nor do I detect a sign of a "conscience" in the people who do.

I know. You're not the one being shot, hanged, or hacked to bits so it makes no difference to you. As I said earlier, over-arching lack of empathy is the dominant trend in your posts. Lack of empathy and paternalistic moralism are the dominant trends in North American political commentary and political process. It's the only way you can end up with a preference for capital punishment, and trillions of dollars spent without any real reduction in the poverty rate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 10:07:08 AM by ag »

I know. You're not the one being shot, hanged, or hacked to bits so it makes no difference to you. As I said earlier, over-arching lack of empathy is the dominant trend in your posts. Lack of empathy and paternalistic moralism are the dominant trends in North American political commentary and political process. It's the only way you can end up with a preference for capital punishment, and trillions of dollars spent without any real reduction in the poverty rate.

I, most definitely, have strong preference for ABSENCE of capital punishment. And I do not believe I ever talked to you about my views on economic policy: you are fantasizing here.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »

So barring any last minute developments, its final dose will be used in two days. The next execution is scheduled for April 9. I'm intrigued to see what Texas is going to do, but am sure I'll be disturbed no matter what.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »

Conversely, I fail to see how anyone who is so opposed to the death penalty that they would consider it akin to murder would support euthanasia,  Life is life.  Both capital punishment and euthanasia are based upon the proposition that life is not so precious that it should never be ended.

Perhaps, but opposition to capital punishment does not have to rely on the reverse of that proposition.

Needless to say, I do feel very strongly that judicial murder is always an unethical act regardless of what crime has been committed, and a disgusting burden on the relatives of the condemned, only compounding the suffering in a barbaric act of bestowing revenge upon people who have not done anything wrong.  It is not the role of the state to execute people.

What any of this has to do with a private, consensual medical decision is lost on me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies