Walmart Giving All Employees a Raise to $10/Hour (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:59:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Walmart Giving All Employees a Raise to $10/Hour (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walmart Giving All Employees a Raise to $10/Hour  (Read 8449 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: February 20, 2015, 06:20:19 AM »

This is actually kind of unbelievable. What's the catch?

I keep trying to figure this out.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »

Ugh.  Not enough.  The min. wage should be $15 at the least but all we are going to hear is "praise Money-Jesus the invisible hand has saved us all again!"

I didn't know you hated small businesses.

I didn't know your grasp of economics was that...well...loose.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »

Ugh.  Not enough.  The min. wage should be $15 at the least but all we are going to hear is "praise Money-Jesus the invisible hand has saved us all again!"

I didn't know you hated small businesses.

I didn't know your grasp of economics was that...well...loose.

Small businesses can't afford such a high wage without damaging themselves, and everything would also become more expensive as more money means higher prices.

The ratio of what small businesses make in profit to what their number of employees is does not drastically differ from the ratio of what corporations make in profit to what their number of employees is. Also notice how the city of Seattle has not descended into the depths of hell since raising their minimum wage to $15/hr. If you want empirical evidence, there's plenty of it to be had, but don't give me talking points about how small businesses can't handle the "burden" of paying people enough for them to live.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »

I actually think there's merit to what Mechaman said. Obviously a hike in the minimum wage is not the end all be all to the poverty problem, but no one is legitimately saying it is. However, there is the cost of living factor to take into effect. The problem with that theory is that, while it is much cheaper to live in the South, 7-8 bucks an hour still isn't enough to cut it. If we go with the "states' rights" approach, a hike in the minimum wage to meet the cost of living would never pass because of the hardheadedness of Southern fiscal conservatives. There really is no way around that without passing a uniform minimum wage hike.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »

Ew, why are you engaging in small talk with the cashier? Or anyone ever, for that matter? Don't talk to people.

Yeah, next time the cashier asks me how I'm doing, or remarks about the weather or whatever, I'll just ignore her and stare at my shoes. That won't be awkward at all.

Seriously, I work as a cashier in a grocery store and the #1 thing that makes my job unbearable is the people who want to have conversations with me while I'm scanning their groceries. It's weird and unnecessary. I ask "how are you doing?" and that's about it until the end of the transaction when I need to ask "credit or debit?" when applicable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies