Walmart Giving All Employees a Raise to $10/Hour (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:23:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Walmart Giving All Employees a Raise to $10/Hour (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walmart Giving All Employees a Raise to $10/Hour  (Read 8442 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 19, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »

Walmart is not and never will be a highly staffed business.  Their calling card is low prices, not great service, so they aren't going to have staffing levels high enough that you can find an empty register as soon as you arrive at checkout.  There is no reason to doubt their reasons for doing this are exactly what they say they are: to reduce employee turnover.

By the way, $10/hour for a full time job is a livable wage in some parts of the country.  A rather spartan living, but still living.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:34:35 PM »

We don't really have WalMarts where i live nor have I ever been to one so I can't comment on this.

That's odd, I thought you lived in Connecticut.  There may not be one within walking or biking distance, but Google shows Walmart has a fair number of stores in Connecticut, tho possibly not in a convenient location for grocery shopping.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »

Why is it that people feel that the practical cold-hearted reason Walmart gave in their press release isn't cold-hearted enough to be the real reason?  If Walmart is having problems with employee churn, then raising wages to reduce that churn will end up saving them money in the long term.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »

I like the self checkout machines. The lines are usually shorter and I'm spared the awkward small talk. It doesn't work well with a whole cart full of groceries though.

Exactly.  If I have only a few items, they're good, but if I have many they're not.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »

Please folks, argue over politics and not over other posters.

X Your friendly neighborhood spidermod
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies