Are dental hygiene sessions covered in your health care where you are ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are dental hygiene sessions covered in your health care where you are ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are dental hygiene sessions covered in your health care where you are ?  (Read 1257 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »

Nope. Well, not fully.

I went to my long-time dentist (a nice 40-year old or something woman) today and paid 80€ for this 1.25 hour long session.

Now I have shiny teeth again.

The thing is: My dentist charges for the dental hygiene sessions and it's not covered by the health insurance (only for kids up to 18), because the government thinks this is "cosmetics" and you have to pay it yourself (just like breast implants or abortions).

So, I pay 80€ but get a fast appointment.

Or I use one of the dental-centers of the health care provider - for which I have to wait 4-6 months to get an appointment. But then I only pay 55€ for the first session and 35€ for the following sessions.

Yeah, yeah ... the Austrian healthcare system.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

Yes.  Orthodontics are as well.  My son had braces for about six months and the insurance company paid 100% of the roughly 2000-dollar bill.

Oddly, prophylactics are not.  The fluoride treatment, about 28 dollars, would have to come out of my pocket if I didn't decline it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »

I have Dental insurance so yea
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »

Yes.  Orthodontics are as well.  My son had braces for about six months and the insurance company paid 100% of the roughly 2000-dollar bill.

Oddly, prophylactics are not.  The fluoride treatment, about 28 dollars, would have to come out of my pocket if I didn't decline it.

Yeah, I also got that fluoride treatment today.

Interestingly, the braces are free (until 18).

Basically all the dental things are covered here (filling the holes, surgery etc.), except the preventive stuff.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »

Not covered by provincial health insurance, but it is covered by my workplace.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »

In the U.S., dental insurance and health insurance are two completely different things. You can buy dental through the healthcare.gov website, but it's not required and is often not worth buying due to strict caps, deductibles, co-pays and the like.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »

dental insurance and health insurance are two completely different things.

I always thought that was kinda weird.  Everywhere I have worked the dental insurance is from one company and the medical insurance is from another and the vision insurance is from yet another.  Currently our vision and dental plans are available at no monthly premium, which is nice.  The medical insurance, however, does cost money.  It's not expensive though, and it's not taxed, and the service is good and doesn't have too many burdensome restrictions. 

It seems that some enterprising company would roll it all into one medical/dental/vision insurance, but for reasons that I don't completely understand, no company that ever worked with any of my employers have seen fit to do that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »

The government covers it for children I believe. A large minority of adults are covered through supplemental health insurance.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 06:41:12 PM »

Yes. Being an old in NY is just fabulous from a medical insurance standpoint, because on a non means tested and non age specific basis (the healthy young studs pay the same as the old dessicated wasting away prone to get sick olds), you can get coverage for just about everything relatively dirt cheap, with low co-pays. The only irritant is that the provider network is limited, and the quality of medical service problematical, at least in the "countryside" of the rural areas of the Hudson Valley. Orange County is light years ahead in that department, but far more expensive.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 11:14:11 PM »

No. Dental coverage is insanely expensive in Quebec (due to dentists having inflated prices because they can).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:02 PM »

Really, they probably should tie Dental into Health, as it would be more likely for young people to sign up for Health insurance if they had dental and vision coverage, which is all young people really care about in healthcare.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »

Every health plan I've been on has included dental coverage. However, it's never been generous. I think the tendency is to have good preventive coverage (such as free yearly cleanings), but there's a big drop-off after that. Cavity fillings have tended to be fairly reasonable at $100-200/tooth, but root canals/crowns end up costing like $1000/tooth out of pocket.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »

No. Health insurance in the US does not cover dental care, though you can purchase separate dental insurance. Unless you have cavities or fillings, it's probably not worth the money, since you'll spend at least as much on premiums and co-pays in a year as you would spend to pay cash for your two semi-annual standard teeth cleanings.

My health insurance is fully covered by my job, but if I want dental or vision insurance, I have to pay a portion of the premium. The dentist I go to doesn't take that insurance plan anyway, and even if he did, I'd rather just pay cash for a cleaning and check-up since the cost isn't significantly different.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »

No.  I've been meaning to go to the dentist for a few years, but I'm told that it costs an arm and a leg so I keep putting it off.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »

Really, they probably should tie Dental into Health, as it would be more likely for young people to sign up for Health insurance if they had dental and vision coverage, which is all young people really care about in healthcare.

As a young person who basically only goes to the dentist, I concur.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »

Mine aren't
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies