Riding The Rails to Victory: Whistle Stop Tour Southern Style
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Riding The Rails to Victory: Whistle Stop Tour Southern Style
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Riding The Rails to Victory: Whistle Stop Tour Southern Style  (Read 271 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »

Train roles into Chattanooga, TN and the Senator plans to give a speech from the back of an old Pullman rail car.

Good Evening Tennessee!!!

Because of the shortened nature of this tour, it will be necessary to do it quickly and so whilst in the past we have used giant stadiums and convention halls, this time we are going more traditional, more down to earth and I hope more in tune with your concerns and interests.

I must begin tonight by first honoring the great service of Registrar General Fritz who is now departing the Census Bureau after many years of diligent and devoted service. It is a difficult job and finding a replacement who is of the same caliber as Fritz will be a challenge. Fritz, who is also a former President, is now stranger to this game as he has been here many more years than I have and whilst real life events will force me to recede from the stage for now, I trust he will return in some other capacity down the road.

I must start first with the issues that most people are concerning about, and that would be the future of this game. Reform is not just a long held desire, it is an absolute necessity (even more so for a certain political party I happened to be associated with but that is for another time). However, it is essential, particularly for those who support regions to not just oppose reforms that are seen as hostile to regions but to come forth and offer reforms of their own that seek to address the games ills. It is vitally critical that we restore interest and motivation in the regions and the only way for that to happen is for an issue set to be delegated exclusively to them or at the very least largely left for them to determine. After all, you can only change the name of a region so many times. You need to have an ongoing regional political dynamic and culture.

One aspect of the IDS that was left to fall by the way side in recent year was the localized political party apparatus, of which several people probably still retain membership without realizing it. I know that JBrase and I are still members of the IHJ. Though the IDS will soon cease to exist, I think we should revive this structure in the South and use it as a means to attract further interest and help us move towards recreating that political culture. It could also help feed into renewed energy for the national parties, including but not limited to the right and the Federalist Party specifically. Certainly all members will see the effects and feel the improvement created by increased participation and activity.

It must be our responsibility to commit ourselves and our region to a better state of being and I hope that I can assist in creating for the region a much needed renaissance in activity and spirit. Together we can regain the greatness the glorious South once held in many different eras and I therefore hope to earn your vote this weekend.

Next Stop: Memphis!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »

The pristine locomotive lumbers into the station in Memphis and once again the distinguished Senator walks up to the platform prepared to address the large crowd gathered before him.

Good Evening Memphis,

Earlier today I noted the retirement of Fritz from the position of Registrar General. Now we must now a serious incident related to the office, as it appears that at a gang of thugs attacked the Census Bureau with the intent of destroying the voter roll and thus crippling our system to its very core. We must be mindful of the guard who was injured and wish a speedy recovery from those injuries. We must also press the causes of this attack to the core, investigate where lapses occurred and pursue necessary changes to ensure we are prepared for the next attack. We did well in that no one was killed, but we should not rest on our laurels and assume in an age where crime and terrorism are constantly evolving, that we have it all under control. Instead, we must be vigilant and constantly evolving ourselves to meet such grave threats and keep our people safe.

It was my intent to continue the theme I started on the other side of this great state. I noted the potential that regionalized parties could have, particularly if the Southland were to re-invent this idea that we had pioneered four and five years ago. However, it is necessary that it not occur in a vacuum but in the context of the gains expected in other areas such as the steps being taken on healthcare, which will surely be an energetic debate, or the interested accumulated potentially by the name change, and not to mention a renewed localized media. Other regions like the Mideast and Northeast have a long history of local press, which is something that the South should seek to utilize down here in our glorious region to spur our revival.

It is difficult of course to push media where it does not exist as we found out with SNC last year, but the gains to be had when Media is present are vastly immense and thus it is essential that we push through the difficulty and restore media, but also reapply it in the form of a regional focus. In the past the South has had papers but never to such an extent as we have seen elsewhere nor as consistently. A paper requires a lot of work and the interest is difficult to be found, but the process can be rather intriguing and fun to do as well.

One are of benefit that would be accrued is with regards to the regional legislature, where a media presence could increase attention to its actions and increase the motivation on the part of our region's citizens to seek office in that body. This would produce competitive elections and attract more membership in the region, which has been lagging in recent months, leading to us lagging the nation overall. This is unacceptable, we must commit ourselves to regaining this lost ground and I hope to assist in that effort. Therefore I ask for your vote this weekend.

Next Stop: Little Rock, AR.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »

The tire and weary engineer eases the demanding engine into the station fully aware that he will soon be replaced for the next leg of the journey and that instead of running a steam locomotive, he will be piloting a bed. Meanwhile, Senator Yankee approaches the back platform.

CAN YOU HEAR ME ARKANSAS!!!

I just want to say how glad I am to be in such a great city and state. It is impossible to come to this town and not reflect on how a group of nine seemingly small people took on the entire racist establishment of Jim Crow and showed who was truly small and whose values and beliefs were small. Today, we face a different but equally critical civil rights issue and that is poverty and by extension, education.

I have long been willing to compromise and raise the minimum wage and even consider automatic inflation adjustments. However, raising the rage to $10 to $12 indexed to inflation and $14 to as high as $22 an hour, is entirely a different matter. At that point is necessary to ask yourself what you are aiming to achieve and then how best to achieve. Certainly we need ot ensure that those at the bottom of the economic ladder are paid well, but when it comes to the middle class, we shouldn't be relying on the minimum wage to ensure adequate living standards. We should instead rely on a broad range of efforts, including education and technology to advance our society and improve the quality and pay of the jobs that are available.

The minimum wage is rather old now, a tool of the early Progressive era implement in the Great Depression. Now, technology, whilst a force for good, can quickly eliminate jobs over night. Therefore it is essential to take care with the minimum wage and not use it as a substitute for education policy, research and infrastructure.

Education has always been an area that is rather elusive at the Federal Level because of its complexity and depth, only small highly targeted bills have been adopted whilst comprehensive attempts have failed, twice in the last two years. On the other hand the regions have done much better in passing legislation dealing with the full range of critical aspects where as the Senate has come up short. It is thus my belief that the regions should take the lead where the Senate is incapable of acting and that the Senate should thus in turn support those efforts.

As for the minimum wage, if we cannot pursue the phase out I would prefer in exchange for an expanded Nixcome, then it should be our goal to instead freeze the minimum wage for an extended period of time at some level that would allow for the stabilization of the labor market and the reduction of employment as companies would then be able to better plan ahead in the absence of the constant changes in police and the disrupting effects of this on the market.

We must remain committed to a policy that promotes a strong middle class but doesn't leave working people behind at the bottom. A policy that uses a wide variety of measures to attain this goal and doesn't rely exclusively on an outdated and counterproductive (When used excessively) policy to achieve the same result. Together we can pursue this future of more job creation balanced with living wages, and I hope to be able to earn your vote this weekend so as to be able to push for that very balance.

Next Stop: Houston, TX
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies