Why is Secretary of State such a political office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:45:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Secretary of State such a political office?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Secretary of State such a political office?  (Read 1138 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »

Looking back at the list of Secretaries of State, it appears that many of those that were eligible to do so either sought the Presidency or were highly speculated to seek the Presidency. Going backward:
Kerry (ran in 2004)
Clinton (ran in 2008, likely to run in 2016)
Rice (encouraged to run in 2008)
Powell (encouraged to run in 1996)
Haig (ran in 1988)
Muskie (ran in 1972)

Now, granted most of them ran for President before their tenure began, but that merely begs the question as to why failed Presidential aspirants are given the post to begin with?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:39:44 PM »

I can ask another question. I can ask the opposite: why there are only these examples? Why isn't it so usual?

Comparing to other parts of the world, there are few secretaries in the USA who become candidates (or candidates who become secretaries). Usually, presidential candidates in the USA are senators and governors.

In Europe and in Brazil, it is much more usual ministers becoming candidates.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »

Several early presidents were former secretary of state - Madison, Monroe, Quincy Adams, and Jefferson (who was VP between SoS and POTUS)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »

I can ask another question. I can ask the opposite: why there are only these examples? Why isn't it so usual?

Comparing to other parts of the world, there are few secretaries in the USA who become candidates (or candidates who become secretaries). Usually, presidential candidates in the USA are senators and governors.

I was only using recent examples. Between 1980 and today, only Schultz and Christopher of those eligible were not subject to presidential speculation.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »

It's a prominent position that also allows someone to avoid taking stands on domestic issues. That results in relatively high approval ratings and name recognition.
OldDominion
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »

It is the president's most trusted secretary on one of the most important issues of advice, foreign affairs and historically the most important federal position next to POTUS himself. Most SecStates ran for president in the early period of our country so there is that context of it as well. Plus SecState has all the trappings of the president, flying around the world, helping decide policy, etc. so inherently it becomes political.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »

I was only using recent examples. Between 1980 and today, only Schultz and Christopher of those eligible were not subject to presidential speculation.

Albright?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:26 PM »

Albright?

Emphasis on eligible.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »

Albright?

Emphasis on eligible.

Forgot the whole "Czech" thing. Sorry.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »

How about William Seward?

William Jennings Bryan?

John Quincy Adams?

Daniel Webster?

Lewis Cass?

James Blaine?

Henry Clay?

Martin Van Buren?

James Buchanan?

John Calhoun?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »

Because of the three branches of government, the responsibility for foreign affairs falls by far most heavily on the presidency. It is 1/2 of the job of the presidency, and arguably 1/2 of the job of government.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies