Is the author of Revelation the same as the Gospel and Epistles of John? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:27:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the author of Revelation the same as the Gospel and Epistles of John? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the author of Revelation the same as the Gospel and Epistles of John?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Is the author of Revelation the same as the Gospel and Epistles of John?  (Read 4479 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: February 28, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »

I don't know.  I used to be very interested in this topic, and the materials I read a long time ago suggested that it's fairly doubtful they were the same author.  The Evangelist, these scholars argued, wrote in philosophical and highly polished Greek of a pretty high literary quality, while the author of Revelation wrote in fairly flat prose and was even prone to making grammatical mistakes.  Maybe, these scholars suggested, if they were the same author, some of it could be explained by referencing the fact that the John of Revelation wrote while incarcerated while the John of the Gospel wrote in more secure circumstances.  However, the texts are written in very different literary genres too, and it was unlikely that a first or second century author who wrote apocalyptic texts--a widespread style at the time--would also write philosophical works that looked like they'd been influenced by Gnostics, or at least Platonists.  But there does seem to have been a fairly long debate in the early church about whether Revelation should even be included in the Christian scriptures, while the Gospel of John was the subject of far less suspicion.  So, the stuff I read ages ago argued in the negative.  But I don't know.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies