MSNBC embarassment: Network pulls in avg of 55,000 viewers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:54:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MSNBC embarassment: Network pulls in avg of 55,000 viewers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MSNBC embarassment: Network pulls in avg of 55,000 viewers  (Read 4513 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »

MSNBC was great in 07-08, but that's probably because it wasn't yet an appendage of the Democratic Party machine.

Is that why Chris Matthews had to apologize for sexist comments?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »

Ronan Farrow is a "Twitter celeb." MSNBC assumed that giving him a show would bring Millennial viewers to the network.

They should have just kept The Young Turks guy. Ronan is an empty suit, and not a very big suit at that.

Indeed, they should never have gotten rid of Cenk Uygur.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »

Olbermann should have remained at MSNBC as well. Searching for internet news to some folk is dumb. My cousin is traditional and says America's finished, because not so much people watch nightly news programs anymore.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »

MSNBC has so many problems. It's embarrassing.

-Ronan Farrow wasn't awful, but he was clearly inexperienced and hired only because who he is related to.

-Every single MSNBC show from 3-9 features all the MSNBC anchors talking about the exact same topics day after day. You watch Schultz give his opinion, then Sharpton on the same issue, then the next and the next. And they all have the same opinion, and often times the same talking heads appear on the different shows.

-Their take on being the liberal answer to Fox News is so badly modeled. Fox News is a conservative network, but MSNBC is a Democrat network. Debbie Wasserman Schultz might as well write the scripts for every piece of programming on the network. DemocracyNow is a liberal news source. DailyKos is a liberal news source. MSNBC is a hack news source.

-They let Olbermann go, then had everyone try to replicate his success and fail.

And finally, the ultimate joke is that they built a network designed to reach young liberals and the well-educated, who are the two groups who are probably the least likely to use 24/7 cable news as their news source.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »

As long as Maddow is on, I could care less about anything else MSNBC-wise.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »

Ronan Farrow is a "Twitter celeb." MSNBC assumed that giving him a show would bring Millennial viewers to the network.

They should have just kept The Young Turks guy. Ronan is an empty suit, and not a very big suit at that.

But he's a man who speaks honestly of the injustices he sees. No room for someone like him on cable "news."
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »

They need to become a liberal network much as Fox News is a conservative network.

What the hell do you think they are?!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »

Does anybody really watch cable news? I see it in banks and waiting and such places, but the idea of sitting down at home and (after paying a lot of $ for countless cable channels) choosing to watch FOX, CNN, or MSNBC makes about as much sense as one of Bushie's diets. There's a lot of good tv out there, but literally none of it is on any of those networks.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »

But he's a man who speaks honestly of the injustices he sees. No room for someone like him on cable "news."
But he went on to name his new program after a genocidal group so maybe they aren't willing to go that far off the edge
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »

Does anybody really watch cable news? I see it in banks and waiting and such places, but the idea of sitting down at home and (after paying a lot of $ for countless cable channels) choosing to watch FOX, CNN, or MSNBC makes about as much sense as one of Bushie's diets. There's a lot of good tv out there, but literally none of it is on any of those networks.

I used to have it on in the background when I was working, or making dinner. Sometimes you just want to see news or politics. And when there's a big story (like marriage legalization), it's sometimes fun to see how your favorite blowhard reacts.

Now I watch Bob's Burgers on Hulu instead.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »

Update: MSNBC is canning Al Sharpton's show, too, citing low ratings.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »

Thank god.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 01:48:59 AM »

LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 02:01:05 AM »

If they're going to cite low ratings for axeing all these hosts, they might as well axe Joe Scarborough to. It's 3 hours of very low ratings not necessarily all because Joe's a conservative on a liberal network, but he's also one of the most ignorant and polarizing people to talk with on the issues. That and half the time he doesn't even show up to do his show.

They should get rid of Chris Matthews to. His show is all Meet the Press-esque based news, and the show is all him talking over people. I'm okay with seeing Sharpton gone I guess.

It's going to suck to see Ronan gone, but I'll get over it. They shouldn't be considering getting rid of Ed and O'Donnell though.

Ed is obviously big with the unions, and it's also really commendable how much effort he puts into local efforts that other hosts don't like the Keystone in Nebraska and the steel industry in Ohio. As for Lawrence, his type of show works well after Rachel's and he is one of those guys on the network who really is liberal to the bone.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 02:42:45 AM »

Holy s**t finally.

Also, Lawrence O'Donnell is alright but I cannot stand his show either. He's WAY too smug and smarmy for me to enjoy him.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 04:19:40 AM »

They should get rid of Chris Matthews to. His show is all Meet the Press-esque based news, and the show is all him talking over people.

Matthews, Hayes and Maddow all pull similar ratings; MSNBC has called its prime-time lineup "solid."

Ed's numbers aren't much better than Sharpton's, maybe +10,000 viewers on any given night.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »

If they're going to cite low ratings for axeing all these hosts, they might as well axe Joe Scarborough to. It's 3 hours of very low ratings not necessarily all because Joe's a conservative on a liberal network, but he's also one of the most ignorant and polarizing people to talk with on the issues. That and half the time he doesn't even show up to do his show.
What are they going to replace Joe with? Morning Joe is the only watchable show on MSNBC besides Maddow and is the cornerstone of my morning. Plus Mika balances him out completely.

And how the hell is Joe "polarizing." He's just another self promoting moderate Republican.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »

Are they canning Melissa Harris-Perry? I like her show, she's a lot like Maddow IMO, and that's a good thing. As long as they keep those two, I'll be happy.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »

As long as Maddow is on, I could care less about anything else MSNBC-wise.
Yes!

I subscribe to the video podcast of her show on itunes and watch it every single day. I think it is an exceptionally good news show. Sure, I could do with a little less overt partisanship, but I absolutely LOVE the way that she frames her stories around a bunch of interesting historical anecdotes. Unlike so many other news shows, even informed people can actually learn stuff from watching her show. It's intelligent news, I guess, and I love it. Not without its weaknesses though. Too much partisanship, and the interviews are almost always some guest and Maddow agreeing on everything, which is extremely uninteresting. Fix those two issues and you'd have a perfect news show to me.
OldDominion
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 05:24:44 PM »

This goes to the generational aspect: more news is online and people can stream it online. I don't watch TV anymore and usually younger Gen X and Y are doing less. I expect the kids born 1995 to 2000 or later to ignore most of the traditional news entirely and worry about selfies, Twitter, FB etc.

Older folks will still watch TV as a primary source and the net as secondary. That is being flipped for millennials.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »

Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:30 PM »

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 06:21:53 AM »

Maddow is by far the best they have. I like Morning Joe too but Scarborough is too annoying, but it's hilarious watching how annoyed Mika gets by him talking all the time. Sharpton turns everything into a race war, Tweety talks 99 percent of the time and interrupts his guests 100 percent of the time and should have been canned when Olbermann went for his disgusting, over-the-line comments about Hillary, Lawrence is too monotonous and boring, Eddie is okay but can only handle him in doses. I really only tune in on the weekends to see the cute geeky Steve Kornacki and I'll watch anytime Josh Barro is on there as a special guest/commentator/contributor/whatever they call them. Smiley
hopper
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »

They need to become a liberal network much as Fox News is a conservative network.
Um MSNBC is a liberal network.

Then why do they still have 'Morning Joe'?
Well Mika is a Democrat and Joe is a Republican so basically its an opinion commentary from both sides of the political aisle. I think most of the shows guests are Democrats though. I haven't watched the show in awhile though got to admit.
hopper
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

Really, it's time for cable news to die. It's only working on FOX because they have so many olds to watch their "news," but even olds are starting to go onto TheBlaze for their "news."
Yeah "The Blaze" is to the right ideologically of FOX even. The only conservative on FOX is Hannity really though.

As far as "The Olds" watching FOX primarily CNN and MSNBC viewers aren't exactly spring chickens either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies