Cohn (NYT): "No equivalence" between Clinton's 2008 strength and 2016 strength
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:30:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cohn (NYT): "No equivalence" between Clinton's 2008 strength and 2016 strength
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cohn (NYT): "No equivalence" between Clinton's 2008 strength and 2016 strength  (Read 762 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/upshot/hillary-clinton-and-inevitability-this-time-is-different.html?abt=0002&abg=0&_r=0

"I get it. I remember that Mrs. Clinton was “inevitable,” and I see why today’s discussions of Mrs. Clinton’s strength sound familiar.
But there is no equivalence between Mrs. Clinton’s strength then and now. She was never inevitable eight years ago. If a candidate has ever been inevitable — for the nomination — it is Mrs. Clinton today."

"She leads the person in second place in those polls, Ms. Warren, by more than 40 points, not 15 points. Just as important, her leads in the early states, like Iowa, South Carolina and New Hampshire, are similar in size.
Even as Mrs. Clinton enters the season in a far better position than eight years ago, her potential opposition is weaker as well. So far, it’s basically nonexistent: As of now, not a single sitting senator, governor or vice president has declared a run. Mr. Biden has made noises about running, but he has no obvious base of support among Democratic donors or voters."

"Perhaps the easiest way to think about Mrs. Clinton’s strength is simply to remember just how close she came to victory in 2008. Despite her vote to authorize the war in Iraq, despite the strength of Mr. Obama’s candidacy, despite a four-to-one disadvantage among black voters, and despite all the miscues of her campaign, Mrs. Clinton still won 48 percent of pledged delegates.
Without these powerful forces working against her, she appears to be far better positioned than she was eight years ago. If she barely lost then, why would she lose now?"
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »

Is Icespear Nate Cohn?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »

The real question is whether her win against the Republicans is inevitable. I don't think so.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

The real question is whether her win against the Republicans is inevitable. I don't think so.

Obviously not. No one is saying so.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »

The stuff coming out about her foundation is one of the many reason she needs a serious primary challenge. Has she even done oppo research on herself, her people should be figuring this out not the media.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »

She would benefit greatly from a primary challenge. It would get everything out in the open so it's old news by the general, and it would help her moderate image if she's being attacked by the left.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2015, 01:21:01 PM by 2016election »

She would benefit greatly from a primary challenge. It would get everything out in the open so it's old news by the general, and it would help her moderate image if she's being attacked by the left.

Couldn't agree more with your statement, however im not sure she will be lucky to get a real challenge for the nomination which will hurt her in the general election.

I don't think anyone believes Hillary wont be the dems nominee the question really is who will be the republican nominee and how will they match up against each other in 2016, which will depend a lot about national security and how the economy is and if its still growing or if its become stagnant again.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »

Haha no, Cohn is only stating the obvious here. It's been quite apparent for years that Hillary's position in 2005/2006/2007 isn't even in the same universe as her position in 2013/2014/2015. I've made tons of effortposts proving this with empirical data, but some people would rather put their fingers in their ears, sing "lalalala I can't hear you", and call me a hack. Whether or not people actually believe the "She was inevitable in 2008 too so she's vulnerable this time!!11!!" narrative or if it's just something they tell themselves to feel better, I'm not certain.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »

I don't think anyone believes Hillary wont be the dems nominee

I can tell you're new here. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: