57% now support sending U.S. ground troops to fight ISIS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:33:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  57% now support sending U.S. ground troops to fight ISIS (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 57% now support sending U.S. ground troops to fight ISIS  (Read 7133 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: February 20, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »

Fighting ISIS is actually a legitimate cause, unlike invading Iraq in 2003.

This. In a perfect world we could go back in time and never have gone into Iraq in the first place, but sadly that's not possible.

I'm not sure whether I support ground troops. If we do send them, it needs to be an international effort. This is no longer just the US's problem.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »

Why do people act like if you oppose a single unjust war, you must then oppose all war under any circumstances in order to maintain ideological consistency? Roll Eyes
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:53 AM »

Why do people act like if you oppose a single unjust war, you must then oppose all war under any circumstances in order to maintain ideological consistency? Roll Eyes
That is not the basis of my opposition.

I wasn't referring directly to you, but to the "what happened to the anti-war left?!" comments. Just because many on the left happened to oppose a specific war doesn't necessarily mean they oppose war under any circumstances, so the charges of hypocrisy or ideological inconsistency are moot.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »

It is inconsistent to oppose a war for reasons which are no less of a factor in a war you support, and unseemly to do so when motivated by partisan politics. If the reasons many opposed the war in 2003 were valid, they should be just as valid now.

These reasons include, but are not limited to:
- Wars are costly, and not worth the money and lives expended when not facing an existential threat

Stop right there. Is it not possible for someone to see ISIS as an existential threat, but not to have seen Saddam as one? Granted, many people saw him as one at the time, but that was because of faulty intelligence (putting it nicely) about his mythical WMDs. Your feelings about the Iraq War weren't uncommon. It had massive support at first, then fell into the doldrums later. It's not irrational or ideologically inconsistent to believe the president and support his war if you really thought Saddam had WMDs, then change your mind and realize it was a mistake once it became apparent that was clearly not the case.

Anyway, I do agree with you that a solid case must be made, with a clear plan and international backing before this option should even be considered.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies