Opinion of Iggy Azalea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:20:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Iggy Azalea
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Opinion of Iggy Azalea  (Read 11029 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 12:45:53 AM »

People dislike her because it's the popular thing to do.

"Fancy" was one of my favorite songs in 2014.

False. I thought she was an imitator when she dropped that Kendrick imitation song.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »

She seems to get more crap as a white female rapper than white male rappers do. I don't understand why sjw's could still celebrate Eminem getting a Grammy after he threatened to rape her, but it's not really my area of expertise.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 03:22:05 AM »

Beyond awful. Talk about her music all you want - unlike other white rappers, like Slug or Macklemore, she blatantly tries to appropriate and exploit African-American culture to make money. Slug had his story-telling ability, Eminem had funny quips, Yelawolf has "redneck rap", and Macklemore has a SJW/indie-pop edge to him. However, Iggy Azalea has a stunning lack of substance that doesn't set her apart from any other rapper, and seems to only be getting by on the color of her skin.

Let's not pretend they don't have a history of disproportionately going after young women.

Get the f**k out of here. There's a huge difference between a black American appropriating a Cockney accent and a white American adopting an African-American/Atlanta accent.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 04:52:00 AM »

She seems to get more crap as a white female rapper than white male rappers do. I don't understand why sjw's could still celebrate Eminem getting a Grammy after he threatened to rape her, but it's not really my area of expertise.

I haven't heard any celebration of that from any 'SJW' of my acquaintance, and there are several.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »

Let's not pretend they don't have a history of disproportionately going after young women.

I don't know about that; the same people who hate Igloo also hate Macklemore.

Sure, but not to the same extent. We never saw Anonymous get involved and threaten Macklemore.

I mean, intending to use a hypothetical sex tape as a weapon? That's some pretty pure misogynistic bullsh**t.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »

Who?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/garbage
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »

Oh that?

A little trashy with a putrid smell that seems to draw in all the maggots of the streets.  So I guess HP.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »

Beyond awful. Talk about her music all you want - unlike other white rappers, like Slug or Macklemore, she blatantly tries to appropriate and exploit African-American culture to make money. Slug had his story-telling ability, Eminem had funny quips, Yelawolf has "redneck rap", and Macklemore has a SJW/indie-pop edge to him. However, Iggy Azalea has a stunning lack of substance that doesn't set her apart from any other rapper, and seems to only be getting by on the color of her skin.

Get the f**k out of here. There's a huge difference between a black American appropriating a Cockney accent and a white American adopting an African-American/Atlanta accent.

Sure, but Goldfield's point was about misogyny specifically. I respect your knowledge on this subject, so I'll ask you this as from a student to teacher (and nathan feel free to chime in as well) do you think there's any reason why the numerous rappers you held up as "good" rapper alternatives to a problematic female rapper, are all men?
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2015, 03:56:06 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Sure, but Goldfield's point was about misogyny specifically. I respect your knowledge on this subject, so I'll ask you this as from a student to teacher (and nathan feel free to chime in as well) do you think there's any reason why the numerous rappers you held up as "good" rapper alternatives to a problematic female rapper, are all men?

I'm fairly sure you misunderstood the last sentence (I didn't outright say her name, but I was basically describing Nicki Minaj there). I mentioned the other male rappers in the first part because they all were white and had ways to set themselves apart. Hell, if you want female rappers, there's the whole "hipster rap" thing going on with Kreayshawn and that crowd. What I was trying to say was that most white rappers simply put their own spin on a genre that's predominantly African-American. However, Iggy Azalea is a white girl's shameless, awful imitation of southern rap, and her music is nothing short of blackface without the makeup.

I guarantee you - in ten years, she will be the Vanilla Ice of our time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 04:59:18 PM »

Ok, so basically the rap world is still so male-dominated that once we start talking about any subset (such as "white rappers with ways to set themselves apart") we get an overwhelmingly if not exclusively male group. (Not that that excuses any of Iggy's appropriation as you've outlined.)
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »

Ok, so basically the rap world is still so male-dominated that once we start talking about any subset (such as "white rappers with ways to set themselves apart") we get an overwhelmingly if not exclusively male group. (Not that that excuses any of Iggy's appropriation as you've outlined.)

Yes - especially among white rappers in general.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

That's basically my impression, and it's a large part of why I don't like rap in practice very much even though it appeals to a lot of my aesthetic sensibilities in theory (since it's basically the love child of talking blues and Mahler-style allusions and sampling, both of which I love).
Knives
solopop
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »

FF because she's made so many salty.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »

Her songs are awful, and yet still better than this thread.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »

FF because I can't see why she's worse than most pop singer or rapper. BTW this whole being angry at a artist for "racial appropriation" is sickening.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

BTW this whole being angry at a artist for "racial appropriation" is sickening.

Strong words. Why 'sickening' and not just 'excessive' or 'uncalled-for' or something like that?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »

lol classic ingemann
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »

Strong words. Why 'sickening' and not just 'excessive' or 'uncalled-for' or something like that?

Because when I read such statements, I get this bad feeling in my gut. That feeling is not "uncalled-for" or "excessive" it's "sickening".

Also this idea that you can steal cultural elements from another culture rather than just adopt them, is a sign of a person who are unable to set the modern world in a historical perspective, and a sign of the person thinking there pure cultures.  
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »

Because when I read such statements, I get this bad feeling in my gut. That feeling is not "uncalled-for" or "excessive" it's "sickening".

Okay, fair enough.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You really don't see a difference between good-faith, mutual cultural exchange and blithely helping oneself to a grab-bag of traditions and aesthetic sensibilities airlifted in from other cultures wholesale? It's basically the same as the difference between literary allusion and plagiarism...
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »

Okay, fair enough.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You really don't see a difference between good-faith, mutual cultural exchange and blithely helping oneself to a grab-bag of traditions and aesthetic sensibilities airlifted in from other cultures wholesale? It's basically the same as the difference between literary allusion and plagiarism...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »

Well, there shouldn't be. Time to move on.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2015, 07:58:47 PM »

I am yet to find a way to care about cultural appropriation that does not rely on some pretty disturbing premises.

The only thing I know about this person is that she's some sort of artist who is a fan of Fukuyama. That was bizarre enough to get her an FF vote from me.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »

Btw here are some of her tweets people have been talking about:

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2014/05/iggy-azalea-hit-fresh-racism-claims-billboard-music-awards-performance/
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

Well, there shouldn't be. Time to move on.

Of course. The situation of the people of the East End of London is on par with the suffering of the black community in America. How could I be so foolish?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies