Opinion of Iggy Azalea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:35:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Iggy Azalea
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Opinion of Iggy Azalea  (Read 11129 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »

Mild HP. A friend told me she is one of the greatest rappers of all time. But I laughed.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »

Get the f**k out of here. There's a huge difference between a black American appropriating a Cockney accent and a white American adopting an African-American/Atlanta accent.

Well, there shouldn't be. Time to move on.

Of course. The situation of the people of the East End of London is on par with the suffering of the black community in America. How could I be so foolish?

Seriously, people fetishize British people. They're in love with the culture. That's not true for black culture. When someone "talks black", most people view them as being less intelligent. When a white person plays off of that, without people actually thinking they're less intelligent, that's wrong. It's essentially saying "hey, I want to be black so I can be cool, but I don't really care if I don't have to deal with the negative stereotypes"
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2015, 11:33:47 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Get the f**k out of here. There's a huge difference between a black American appropriating a Cockney accent and a white American adopting an African-American/Atlanta accent.

Well, there shouldn't be. Time to move on.

Of course. The situation of the people of the East End of London is on par with the suffering of the black community in America. How could I be so foolish?

Seriously, people fetishize British people. They're in love with the culture. That's not true for black culture. When someone "talks black", most people view them as being less intelligent. When a white person plays off of that, without people actually thinking they're less intelligent, that's wrong. It's essentially saying "hey, I want to be black so I can be cool, but I don't really care if I don't have to deal with the negative stereotypes"

Especially when she straight-up accused Azealia Banks (who actually called her out over this sh*t on Twitter and the radio) of "making it racial" and "making it political" when she said the same thing. Let's not try and use any euphemisms here - Iggy Azalea is blaxploitation in musical form.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »

Her music is god awful and I agree with what RR said about her having a weird face. I'd still hit it though.

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »

This is a weird criticism. Popular music by white people has been using African-American styles - including accent - since, basically, forever.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »

This is a weird criticism. Popular music by white people has been using African-American styles - including accent - since, basically, forever.

There is a difference between taking influence from a type of music and appropriating a culture without having to deal with the negative stereotypes associated with that culture.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »

Her music is god awful and I agree with what RR said about her having a weird face. I'd still hit it though.

Since this is Deus I'm not sure if "it" is a dehumanizing term for a woman or refers to his desire to punch a woman in the face.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »

Since this is Deus I'm not sure if "it" is a dehumanizing term for a woman or refers to his desire to punch a woman in the face.

I believe he meant "it" referring to "that ass", as in people saying "i'd hit that ass"

meaning they'd have sex with it
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »

"Hit it" is slang for "would have sex with".
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »

"Hit it" is slang for "would have sex with".

I am very well aware of this, I just thought it was amusing coming from him and with that juxtaposition.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2015, 08:03:31 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2015, 10:24:56 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Where I draw the line between emulation and blaxploitation is when an artist who's emulating them gets criticized for being racist and basically accuses the people making these claims of playing the race card. I'm fairly sure we all know that when white people use the term "race card" or "make it racial" when they're talking about African-American issues, it usually means "BAWWWWWW, I'M NOT RACIST BECAUSE RACE ISN'T AN ISSUE HERE. THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO USE THEIR SKIN COLOR TO MAKE ME LOOK BAD."

But if race really wasn't an issue in her music, would a white girl from Hicktown, Australia really be trying to sound like a black woman from Atlanta?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »

This is one of the weirdest threads in quite awhile. I don't think I've seen this many strawmen or bizarre arguments in a long time and it's not even over something important or relevant. The most weird being the idea that SJWs are fans of Eminem, WTF? Not to mention Eminem ceased being relevant long before SJWs were even a thing.

But for the original topic, I'll just say some dumb Australian white girl rapping in a fake accent is something I'll rank pretty damn low on my list of priorities.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »

But for the original topic, I'll just say some dumb Australian white girl rapping in a fake accent is something I'll rank pretty damn low on my list of priorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2015, 10:44:50 PM »

Yes, a dumb white Australian girl rapping with a fake accent is by far the worst and most terrible example of that in modern day society.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2015, 10:45:39 PM »

Even within the context of race relations, a white rapper who no one will care about in a year is a joke of an issue compared to police brutality or mass incarceration.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2015, 10:51:54 PM »

Even within the context of race relations, a white rapper who no one will care about in a year is a joke of an issue compared to police brutality or mass incarceration.

That's cute. Tell me when you show up at a #BlackLivesMatter rally.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 12:43:41 AM »

This is a common expression among the youth. Lighten up, old man. Smiley
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 06:44:10 AM »

So we're just going to make oppression or cultural disrespect relative because "it could always be worse"? Well, yeah, you could be severely beaten by the police, but at least you're not a woman in a strictly traditional Muslim country with no rights. At least you have the right to take your attacker to court, right? And yeah, you might be in jail for the rest of your life just for having marijuana, but at least you don't live in a country that executes drug users, right?

Oppression is not relative. It's oppression. If someone is doing something that demeans a culture in any way, they're a terrible person. It's not a matter of whether or not she'll fade into oblivion eventually, it's the fact that she's made and will continue to make money off of her oppression.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »

How many black lives would be improved and less "oppressed" had she just stayed in Australia?

Honestly, she sounds more like she's trying to imitate Ke$ha than a black woman anyway.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:23 AM »

This is one of the weirdest threads in quite awhile. I don't think I've seen this many strawmen or bizarre arguments in a long time and it's not even over something important or relevant. The most weird being the idea that SJWs are fans of Eminem, WTF? Not to mention Eminem ceased being relevant long before SJWs were even a thing.

No one said SJWs are fans of Eminem... but a number of news articles appeared saying that SJWs on Twitter were celebrating when Eminem won a grammy that Iggy Azalea was expected to win. Granted, they were more celebrating Iggy's loss than Eminem's win, but the idea that either one of them is much better than the other is pretty suspect, IMO. I would hardly say a guy who's still winning awards and putting out hit songs is irrelevant.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If it's so low on your list of priorities, then why do you care so much? Sawx and R2D2 have done a pretty good job in this thread explaining why people dislike her... It's infuriating for black women when a white woman comes along and does the exact same thing (not just being in the rap genre, but all of the straight up imitation like Sawx said) with less talent and then gets massively rewarded for it in a way they never do. If I were a black woman, it would be impossible to even think about her without being reminded of racism...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2015, 12:28:35 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

This is a common expression among the youth. Lighten up, old man. Smiley

Not age related. It has been a common expression for decades. You saying "her having a weird face. I'd still hit it though" was either funny or disturbing (freudian slip) depending on how people view you.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »

How many black lives would be improved and less "oppressed" had she just stayed in Australia?

Honestly, she sounds more like she's trying to imitate Ke$ha than a black woman anyway.

I don't know, how many black female rappers could have her spot on a major record label with chart-topping hits that might just be better than her music? Probably a lot.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »

A few major points here -

1. Cultural appropriation isn't a thing
2. Igloo Australia is the worst and a product of satanic advertisers
3. Combining points #1 and #2, thinking that an artificial rapper most famous for looking like the Wayans brothers in White Chicks represents some kind of intersectional political statement is cringeworthy.
4. Furthermore, the idea raises entertaining questions. Is every awful chart-topping UK rock band engaging in the sin of cultural appropriation because they affect American accents?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »

Cultural appropriation is bullsh#t and anyone legitimately engaging that kind of pseudo-Maoist nonsense is terrible and should be ashamed of themselves.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »

This is one of those irregular verbs things isn't it? My work is cosmopolitan and international, Your work is the product of cultural exchange, His work is disgraceful cultural appropriation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies