Opinion of Iggy Azalea (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:06:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Iggy Azalea (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Opinion of Iggy Azalea  (Read 11196 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: February 21, 2015, 12:29:52 AM »

a f--king disgrace.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »

Horrible rapper who gets far more awful treatment than she deserves from grossly misogynistic SJWs.

This statement confounds me.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »

Get the f**k out of here. There's a huge difference between a black American appropriating a Cockney accent and a white American adopting an African-American/Atlanta accent.

Well, there shouldn't be. Time to move on.

Of course. The situation of the people of the East End of London is on par with the suffering of the black community in America. How could I be so foolish?

Seriously, people fetishize British people. They're in love with the culture. That's not true for black culture. When someone "talks black", most people view them as being less intelligent. When a white person plays off of that, without people actually thinking they're less intelligent, that's wrong. It's essentially saying "hey, I want to be black so I can be cool, but I don't really care if I don't have to deal with the negative stereotypes"
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »

This is a weird criticism. Popular music by white people has been using African-American styles - including accent - since, basically, forever.

There is a difference between taking influence from a type of music and appropriating a culture without having to deal with the negative stereotypes associated with that culture.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »

Her music is god awful and I agree with what RR said about her having a weird face. I'd still hit it though.

Since this is Deus I'm not sure if "it" is a dehumanizing term for a woman or refers to his desire to punch a woman in the face.

I believe he meant "it" referring to "that ass", as in people saying "i'd hit that ass"

meaning they'd have sex with it
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »

But for the original topic, I'll just say some dumb Australian white girl rapping in a fake accent is something I'll rank pretty damn low on my list of priorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:44:10 AM »

But for the original topic, I'll just say some dumb Australian white girl rapping in a fake accent is something I'll rank pretty damn low on my list of priorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Even within the context of race relations, a white rapper who no one will care about in a year is a joke of an issue compared to police brutality or mass incarceration.

So we're just going to make oppression or cultural disrespect relative because "it could always be worse"? Well, yeah, you could be severely beaten by the police, but at least you're not a woman in a strictly traditional Muslim country with no rights. At least you have the right to take your attacker to court, right? And yeah, you might be in jail for the rest of your life just for having marijuana, but at least you don't live in a country that executes drug users, right?

Oppression is not relative. It's oppression. If someone is doing something that demeans a culture in any way, they're a terrible person. It's not a matter of whether or not she'll fade into oblivion eventually, it's the fact that she's made and will continue to make money off of her oppression.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »

How many black lives would be improved and less "oppressed" had she just stayed in Australia?

Honestly, she sounds more like she's trying to imitate Ke$ha than a black woman anyway.

I don't know, how many black female rappers could have her spot on a major record label with chart-topping hits that might just be better than her music? Probably a lot.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »

Of course cultural appropriation is a thing...

Seriously, this is baffling. People just walk around wearing Native American headdresses as a "fashion statement" but that's not cultural appropriation? What is it then, "white people just being white people"?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »

Seriously, this is baffling. People just walk around wearing Native American headdresses as a "fashion statement" but that's not cultural appropriation? What is it then, "white people just being white people"?

Who does this?!

So should we stop Taco Bell from appropriating Mexican food for its own purposes, then?

This idea that any cultural work belongs to a certain race or whatever is bizarre and one step away from the kind of racism that says that blacks can't do certain things because they're not white.

If Taco Bell were owned by Mexicans, it would make things a lot better. But I guess stopping rich people from profiting off of people who are at a disadvantage isn't Marxist enough.

And no, the second part of that is wholly false. The problem with cultural appropriation is that it's stepping over people who can't necessarily fight back because of the societal stigma of their race (ie blacks) so if blacks do something "white" then society says "ah yes, a civilized black person" but when a black person does something "black" they're met with "oh it's one of those thugs" whereas when white people do something "black" they're seen as cool, or edgy, or innovative.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »

OK, those are some white guys where Native American headdresses. Who cares?

If the answer to that is you, please explain how anyone is harmed by their headwear.

Because they are trying to claim something that doesn't belong to them. Not all oppression is about physically harming someone. When a culture absorbs another culture and makes it into a fashion statement, it fully demeans and debases that culture. The significance of the Native American headdress holds meaning to tribes that it does not hold to white people that wear it either as a piece of fashion or as a decoration while they get drunk and scream at a football game. White people have already made a concerted effort to subdue the influence of Native American culture in the United States by essentially isolating them and just treating them like they're a burden. Now that people are going to take the aspects of their culture that they find conveniently fashionable whilst sweeping everything else about them under the rug, they're getting even more drowned out because they don't even have claim to something that was purely their own anymore.

So to answer your question: It's not physically harming anyone, but it's playing into a long standing tradition of treating them like sewer rats.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 06:18:29 AM »

I have no problem with people making efforts to learn about or even participate in other cultures--it's the fact that some people do it for the sake of being "cool" or "cutting edge" without really respecting the culture they're appropriating that makes me upset. I'm not saying I want "cultural segregation", I want people to co-exist and respect each other and not just make trends out of someone's religion or race or whatever. Essentially, to boil it all down, my problem isn't with white people just wearing headdresses, or Iggy Azaelea "talking black", it's with the fact that they're doing it because they think they're being innovative and that they've discovered something hip. Did you know there's a shirt being sold on some website (forget where) that has Kurt Cobain's suicide note printed on it? Why is that a thing? Why does everything have to be a trend or a fashion statement?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »

Did you know there's a shirt being sold on some website (forget where) that has Kurt Cobain's suicide note printed on it? Why is that a thing? Why does everything have to be a trend or a fashion statement?

Who cares?

A man took his own life and people made it in into a piece of clothing. My whole point is trying to say that not everything needs to be a trend, especially not things that are delicate and personal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies