Maduro Confirms Arrest of Caracas Mayor for Coup Plotting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:50:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Maduro Confirms Arrest of Caracas Mayor for Coup Plotting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maduro Confirms Arrest of Caracas Mayor for Coup Plotting  (Read 3040 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Maduro-Confirms-Arrest-of-Caracas-Mayor-for-Coup-Plotting-20150219-0034.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »

"Ultra right-wing" TeleSur is just the worst.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:48:25 PM »

They are preparing for cancellation of the National Assembly elections later this year. Given Maduro's unpopularity and the ongoing economic collapse, the scale of fraud necessary to declare victory would be staggering. So, they have to either cancel the elections or ban all viable opposition candidates from standing.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

Yeah, this is how a dictator begins the process of consolidating power.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »

Yeah, looks like Maduro has decided to go full dictator. I'm curious to see how the resident True Leftists will react... wait, actually, I'm not.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »

Hopefully the White House is involved in the plotting of coup attempts.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »

Even if you support the coup attempts, why would you actively hope a foreign power is involved?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »

Even if you support the coup attempts, why would you actively hope a foreign power is involved?

Maybe he wants the coup attempts to fail.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »

My only explanation, in fact.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »

Let's wait for the Jacobin's take on this before we prematurely condemn Maduro.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »

Let's wait for the Jacobin's take on this before we prematurely condemn Maduro.

I do not think at this point it is possible to condemn Maduro prematurely.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

They are preparing for cancellation of the National Assembly elections later this year. Given Maduro's unpopularity and the ongoing economic collapse, the scale of fraud necessary to declare victory would be staggering. So, they have to either cancel the elections or ban all viable opposition candidates from standing.

Wow, Maduro isn't even trying to seem remotely democratic, is he?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »

For the record, I think the best outcome for Venezuela would have been if Capriles had simply won (or been allowed to win) the 2013 election. He could have moderated the extremes that the 'Bolivarian' policies and general style of politics had reached, yet preserved what legitimate gains Venezuela and its people had made under Chávez. Maduro, who from the beginning was an unthinking hack at the absolute best, never showed any sign whatsoever of being either capable of or interested in doing that.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »

Fine -- I hope the White House is ready to provide whatever aid the coup plotters want. If they think the best way to go is without clandestine North American support, then more power to them. The key point is for Maduro and the entire Bolivarian elite to go, as soon as possible, using whatever methods will work.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »

A American supported coup in Latin America have as much support from the general public as Russian ones in the Eastern Europe. So congratulation if Obama followed your suggestion, we could look forward to a decade with Maduro.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »

Fine -- I hope the White House is ready to provide whatever aid the coup plotters want. If they think the best way to go is without clandestine North American support, then more power to them. The key point is for Maduro and the entire Bolivarian elite to go, as soon as possible, using whatever methods will work.

There are no coup plotters. A coup, in this case, means military, and the military has been both purged and (the rest of it) bought (the regime is spending whatever it has left on this). There may be a popular revolt at some point, but I am pretty sure it will not be either pre-planned or well-organized.

In any case, supporting a military coup in Latin America (or elsewhere) is not a very smart thing - either for the US government, or  for anybody else. The military rarely, if ever, makes even indifferent rulers.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »

A American supported coup in Latin America have as much support from the general public as Russian ones in the Eastern Europe. So congratulation if Obama followed your suggestion, we could look forward to a decade with Maduro.

In addition, at this point there is nobody capable of a coup, in any case. The opposition politicians are in no position to organize anything that could be called a coup - no guns, no power, no nothing. If the popular revolt happens (which is increasingly likely), it is going to look very different.

The most likely coup in Venezuela would be, say, Diosdado Cabello overthrowing Maduro. I do not believe the US would be happy supporting that.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »

If the coup plotters restore democracy after the coup (probably the best possible result), I highly doubt the Venezuelan people will cut off their nose to spite their face by voting for Maduro.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »

If the coup plotters restore democracy after the coup (probably the best possible result), I highly doubt the Venezuelan people will cut off their nose to spite their face by voting for Maduro.

There is nobody within the Venezuelan system who would be capable of pulling off a coup, as such, against Maduro; thus, any attempt at doing so would be crushed, and probably provide Maduro a decade's worth of propaganda fodder.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »

Unsettling, though I don't really like the thought of overthrowing a democratically-elected government anyway. In any case, time for Maudro to go IMO.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 11:48:35 PM »

Such coup plotters could only exist in Venezuelan military. Do you really think it is likely that, at this point, there is anybody in Venezuelan military who "would restore democracy"?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »

There is nobody within the Venezuelan system who would be capable of pulling off a coup, as such, against Maduro; thus, any attempt at doing so would be crushed, and probably provide Maduro a decade's worth of propaganda fodder.

There are many in Venezuelan system who could do a coup against Maduro. My prime suspect would be Diosdado Cabello. The only problem is, both he and anybody else who could do this, would not at all help either the opposition or democracy.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »

Wow
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 01:32:49 AM »

Such coup plotters could only exist in Venezuelan military. Do you really think it is likely that, at this point, there is anybody in Venezuelan military who "would restore democracy"?

No, but do you really think military rule would be worse than Maduro? Notice that I was discussing a "best possible result".

There are many in Venezuelan system who could do a coup against Maduro. My prime suspect would be Diosdado Cabello. The only problem is, both he and anybody else who could do this, would not at all help either the opposition or democracy.

Then again, if military rule means Cabello and his Soles it would be even worse than Maduro. I suppose it depends on how thoroughly the Venezuelan military has been scrubbed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 05:56:10 AM »

People like Vosem are the reason Chavez came to power and was repeatedly reelected and succeeded by Maduro.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies