Is Papa Bushie getting ready to cut Bushie off?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:15:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Papa Bushie getting ready to cut Bushie off?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Papa Bushie getting ready to (finally) cut Bushie off?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Is Papa Bushie getting ready to cut Bushie off?  (Read 2896 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:01:38 AM »

It sounds like it to me.

I hope there's still enough space for him to fit into The Train Room™.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »

Hopefully granny is ready to cut the whole clans off.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:40:20 AM »

Sadly, no
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:48:14 PM »

This is the man who more or less made his son quit what seemed to be a stable job out of state to come home and be more dependent on him and Mama.

There are some really twisted, interlocking rings of co-dependency in that family.

No, Bushie is not getting cut off and I doubt he ever will.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »

Not while they are still game-planning, no.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »

Seriously, people. If Papa Bushie was remotely responsible as a parent, he would have told Bushie "you're over 30 years old. Until you get your f**king act together and, preferably, seek a professional help, I won't give you a goddamn dime" ages ago.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

Whatever is going on we don't know all of it so should be careful about what we assume.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »

It sounds like he might end up in the train room. I don't think that really counts as being cut off, and it sounds like Papa really doesn't want it to happen either. One would think that he would exert more pressure on Bushie to take a job at BigBoxMart, but whatever.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »

Just try not to forget that these are real people.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »

This is the man who more or less made his son quit what seemed to be a stable job out of state to come home and be more dependent on him and Mama.

There are some really twisted, interlocking rings of co-dependency in that family.

No, Bushie is not getting cut off and I doubt he ever will.

This.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

IndyTexas is right. Bushie likely isn't getting cut off but being forced to come back. Much like Utah, Tulsa is a bit too far away, and Mama is probably getting naggy. They are going to force their nonworking houseboy back into their lives distracting them as so they won't have to entertain a divorce.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 03:49:06 PM »

Yeah, by being "cut off", I really meant that he would be forced to move back in with them again, not that he would be completely cut off.

I probably should have done a better job of clarifying that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

IndyTexas is right. Bushie likely isn't getting cut off but being forced to come back. Much like Utah, Tulsa is a bit too far away, and Mama is probably getting naggy. They are going to force their nonworking houseboy back into their lives distracting them as so they won't have to entertain a divorce.
It's pretty clear to me that Papa doesn't want him back. He turned Bushie's old room into a train room, makes Bushie stay with Granny when he visits OKC and has spent tens of thousands of dollars to keep Bushie at arm's length. Mama Bushie may want her Big Boy back but Papa definitively does not.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »

It's pretty clear to me that Papa doesn't want him back. He turned Bushie's old room into a train room, makes Bushie stay with Granny when he visits OKC and has spent tens of thousands of dollars to keep Bushie at arm's length. Mama Bushie may want her Big Boy back but Papa definitively does not.

There are many a dark and depressing thing one can surmise from reading Update about the true nature of ODF and his family. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »

Whatever is going on we don't know all of it so should be careful about what we assume.

ODF doesn't either... unreliable narrator
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »

i dont understand what all of the 'game planning' is about.  the game plan should be simple: get a job and get some professional mental help.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »

It's Oklahoma. The Japan of the United States in all the bad ways (hyperdeveloped in-group-out-group mentality, stigma against mental health problems, ossified gender roles) and none of the good ways.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »

yes, yes, we would all very much enjoy bushie becoming a thin man who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, eats nothing but raw fish, steals money from his parents to secretly spend at cuddle cafes, and lives to age 98, but alas Sad
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 06:29:45 PM »

It's Oklahoma. The Japan of the United States in all the bad ways (hyperdeveloped in-group-out-group mentality, stigma against mental health problems, ossified gender roles) and none of the good ways.

yeah.  even on LI here most of the 'help' is worthless, 12-step pushing hacks and airheads (mostly women) who picked the career because it was likely to pan out in terms of job prospects.  in Ithaca I found the situation, especially the university system, to be much better.  (and the 12-step groups weren't entirely full of slogan-crowing, braindead cultists).   I can't imagine what it's like in the Heartland... though B_____ does have access to a large urban area, so he would have a shot.

odds are the only therapy he'd have a tolerance for is sunshiney, unconditionally positive circlejerking.  the type that wouldn't challenge him to actually change his behavior.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »

Just try not to forget that these are real people.

That's what appears to be a problem for most of the Updaters.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »

yes, yes, we would all very much enjoy bushie becoming a thin man who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, eats nothing but raw fish, steals money from his parents to secretly spend at cuddle cafes, and lives to age 98, but alas Sad

Bolded the Japanese stereotypes that are still bad things, but would, amazingly, be steps up for Bushie.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

Bolded the Japanese stereotypes that are still bad things, but would, amazingly, be steps up for Bushie.

Thanks.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »

yeah.  even on LI here most of the 'help' is worthless, 12-step pushing hacks and airheads (mostly women) who picked the career because it was likely to pan out in terms of job prospects.  in Ithaca I found the situation, especially the university system, to be much better.  (and the 12-step groups weren't entirely full of slogan-crowing, braindead cultists).   I can't imagine what it's like in the Heartland... though B_____ does have access to a large urban area, so he would have a shot.

odds are the only therapy he'd have a tolerance for is sunshiney, unconditionally positive circlejerking.  the type that wouldn't challenge him to actually change his behavior.
I agree mental health people do tend to be female, but I very strongly disagree with your claim that it's about women tryng to make a career move. I don't think many counselors (or teachers, another nurturing female dominated profession) in the history of the field have ever selected their job purely for financial reasons.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »

yeah.  even on LI here most of the 'help' is worthless, 12-step pushing hacks and airheads (mostly women) who picked the career because it was likely to pan out in terms of job prospects.  in Ithaca I found the situation, especially the university system, to be much better.  (and the 12-step groups weren't entirely full of slogan-crowing, braindead cultists).   I can't imagine what it's like in the Heartland... though B_____ does have access to a large urban area, so he would have a shot.

odds are the only therapy he'd have a tolerance for is sunshiney, unconditionally positive circlejerking.  the type that wouldn't challenge him to actually change his behavior.
I agree mental health people do tend to be female, but I very strongly disagree with your claim that it's about women tryng to make a career move. I don't think many counselors (or teachers, another nurturing female dominated profession) in the history of the field have ever selected their job purely for financial reasons.

I wasn't implying that women are more likely to choose a career based on potential employment prospects.  men and women both do  -- though, what, 4 of 7 undergrads nowadays are women?

university has degenerated into technical training. so people can learn skills that make them more attractive wage slaves.  or, increase their "human capital", euphemistically.  this is of course heavily subsidized by the public and paid for by the students, while the private sector has access to an abundance of talent that they didn't have to pay a dime to create.

the mental health field, and healthcare in general, is a good route to go if you want to sell your labor, because the US spends close to 20% of GDP on healthcare, the population is aging, etc.

there's also the illusion, particularly in addiction counseling, but throughout the health care industry, that you're "helping people".  though I'm sure even insurance salesmen can convince themselves that they're contributing to society.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies