Nevermore shall we hear the plaintive call of 'Reluctant Nay'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:31:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nevermore shall we hear the plaintive call of 'Reluctant Nay'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Nevermore shall we hear the plaintive call of 'Reluctant Nay'  (Read 3817 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »

And isn't that wonderful news?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »

Is this about Yankee? If so, you are a terrible person.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 10:09:15 PM »

Yankee will be back. That I'm confident of.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:39:40 AM »

We just figured this out after eleven years?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:32 AM »

did you four get lost on your way to the grĺtrunka convention?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »

So, its still welsh for ....... I see.

Reluctant EAT ME!!!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »

Thank god.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2015, 12:19:59 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I always campaigned and earned each one of me terms even when I didn't have an opponent. Consider that in each case going back to 2012, I have had to contend with at least one major crisis (Computer failures, illness, relative hospitalized, internet disconnected, and this last time, moving), and yet I still won them all except this last one. I have seen players get wiped out by just one of these problems occurring. I worked successfully with members of every party that has existed dating back to the DA And JCP in 2009 to the Labor, DRs and TPP of today even whilst spending half of my tenure as chair of the right of center party. I even voted to confirm your subsequently inactive self to the cabinet (probably one of my few regrets). Finally, I maintained an active presence from the time when Obama could walk on water until now.

I think I did a hell of a damn good job.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »

RIP Yankee. You'll always be most handsome to me Sad
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »

I would not say so. As conservatives, we needed someone, at that critical juncture, to stand up for the basic principles of free enterprise, the market economy, and pure fiscal sanity. For him to have signalled "reluctance" in opposing the ludicrous piece of legislation that was the Fuel and Power Act was tantamount to saying that his support of those principles was equally ambivalent.

I have have long had great respect for Yankee and his service, and I thank him for it, but the fact is that it had simply become too milquetoast, both in the Senate and as leader of the Federalists, who now are, and I don't think anyone would deny this, interminably moribund. Regardless, I doubt we will see anyone who will come close to his political longevity- and he managed to survive Operation Cottonfield, mind you- any time soon, if ever. I wish him the best.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »

None of y'all can say that his campaigning record isn't impressive. 17 consecutive wins is unheard of. AFAIK only one person has exceeded his winning record with a losing record.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »

I would not say so. As conservatives, we needed someone, at that critical juncture, to stand up for the basic principles of free enterprise, the market economy, and pure fiscal sanity. For him to have signalled "reluctance" in opposing the ludicrous piece of legislation that was the Fuel and Power Act was tantamount to saying that his support of those principles was equally ambivalent.

I have have long had great respect for Yankee and his service, and I thank him for it, but the fact is that it had simply become too milquetoast, both in the Senate and as leader of the Federalists, who now are, and I don't think anyone would deny this, interminably moribund. Regardless, I doubt we will see anyone who will come close to his political longevity- and he managed to survive Operation Cottonfield, mind you- any time soon, if ever. I wish him the best.
Simfan, I dont remember, for who have you voted this election?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:49:46 AM »

Wrong. I stated explicitly what I wanted and my reluctance was because I hated the fact that I could not change the bill into that with the votes that were available. I wanted a system of market competing non-profits, not nationalization. The only way you can think that I was ambivalent on the free market requires that you ignore what I have stated publically then and subsequently. Nice try, Simmy, but it ain't happening. Tongue Roll Eyes

I have never denied that I have some pro-labor sympathies, so does Hagrid ironically by the way or at least he did. So in that once sense don't expect much to change in terms of the Southern Senator.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »

I have have long had great respect for Yankee and his service, and I thank him for it, but the fact is that it had simply become too milquetoast, both in the Senate and as leader of the Federalists, who now are, and I don't think anyone would deny this, interminably moribund.

Hamilton said the same thing half way through my first Senate term. Tongue I always separated my service in the Senate from leadership of the Party and I have never been an ideological hack. I also know full well what it means to be dirt poor and thus haven't been afraid to compromise on some economic issues where I know markets alone won't cut it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »

None of y'all can say that his campaigning record isn't impressive. 17 consecutive wins is unheard of. AFAIK only one person has exceeded his winning record with a losing record.

I actually wondered about that, but did not check. I was going to take a wild guess and say 20-1 W-L, which was in the ballpark. 17-0 W-L record from 2009 until Feb. 2015 is quite impressive. And it wasn't even At Large either.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »

I actually wondered about that, but did not check. I was going to take a wild guess and say 20-1 W-L, which was in the ballpark. 17-0 W-L record from 2009 until Feb. 2015 is quite impressive. And it wasn't even At Large either.

Actually it is 17-3 if you count other races. I twice ran unsuccessfully for VP (DWTL/Yankee and Jbrase/Yankee in Feb 2009 and October 2012).
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »

Yankee is an institution and he deserves our respect.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »

Wrong. I stated explicitly what I wanted and my reluctance was because I hated the fact that I could not change the bill into that with the votes that were available. I wanted a system of market competing non-profits, not nationalization. The only way you can think that I was ambivalent on the free market requires that you ignore what I have stated publically then and subsequently. Nice try, Simmy, but it ain't happening. Tongue Roll Eyes

I have never denied that I have some pro-labor sympathies, so does Hagrid ironically by the way or at least he did. So in that once sense don't expect much to change in terms of the Southern Senator.

I admit that I may have overlooked some of your proposals, but I do recall your proposal to replace the present electricity sector with a system of non-profit enterprises, which I thought was still very much a solution to a problem that did not exist, even if it was a (considerably) less harmful solution than what was being proposed. Regardless, it was to me a matter of principle- opposing the nationalisation of industries for the mere sake of nationalising them, as was the only real reason given for that bill, was something that had to be opposed and opposed uncompromisingly lest we start heading down such a path. You may have considered it to have had lower stakes, but- again as far as I was concerned- it was absolutely pivotal.

Hamilton said the same thing half way through my first Senate term. Tongue I always separated my service in the Senate from leadership of the Party and I have never been an ideological hack. I also know full well what it means to be dirt poor and thus haven't been afraid to compromise on some economic issues where I know markets alone won't cut it.

This comes as a surprise to me; I would think it impossible to separate one's service in office to the image they were able to project as a partisan leader. You were the face of the Federalists by default, at least that's how I saw it. Hence why I was appalled by your remarks during the debate on the Fuel and Power bill: it created (or frankly, merely reinforced) the impression that the Federalists were not an effective opposition to the Administration.

I don't think it's a matter of being an ideologue or not being an ideologue- it's understanding what the basic principles of a party are and communicating that effectively. It's steering the course of events as to not allow an actual ideologue who just re-registered to nearly successfully primary a popular incumbent President. It's not putting a party into a position where it is compelled to nominate a candidate despite the majority of present members having voted not to nominate that candidate. I don't mean to berate you- I sincerely do have a great deal of respect for you and think that you have probably put in more and contributed more to Atlasia than anyone else over the years- but these were my concerns.

Bore/BK, but I'm not sure why this is relevant. I voted for Bore not only because I thought he was the most qualified candidate, but that unlike JCL's loonyism and the de facto fellow traveller Dallasfan's record, Bore would do the most to advance- even if I really mean "be the least harmful to"- the ideas in which I believe.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »

No. He's Al.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »

Bore/BK, but I'm not sure why this is relevant. I voted for Bore not only because I thought he was the most qualified candidate, but that unlike JCL's loonyism and the de facto fellow traveller Dallasfan's record, Bore would do the most to advance- even if I really mean "be the least harmful to"- the ideas in which I believe.
Thank you. I just didn't understand why you voted for him. But you're right he's less socially liberal than dallasfan. Now it makes sense.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »

Thank you. I just didn't understand why you voted for him. But you're right he's less socially liberal than dallasfan. Now it makes sense.

It is much of the same reason that you gave when you tried to get me to vote for you and DemPGH, if you might recall. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 06:17:05 PM »

It is much of the same reason that you gave when you tried to get me to vote for you and DemPGH, if you might recall. Tongue
Yeeeees, but you finally gave your vote to Dallasfan, if you might recall too Tongue. And I think I'm even less socially liberal than Bore Tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies