What percentage of Republicans want to create a theocracy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What percentage of Republicans want to create a theocracy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What percentage of Republicans want to create a theocracy?
almost all

>75%

50-75%

25-50%

10-25%

5-10%

under 5%

barely any

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: What percentage of Republicans want to create a theocracy?  (Read 6976 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:19:15 PM »

I say 25-50%. Probably around a third. Whatever the number that want to outlaw strip clubs is.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:31:16 PM »

I say 25-50%. Probably around a third. Whatever the number that want to outlaw strip clubs is.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. 

Even you know this line of argument is disingenuous tripe.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:53:11 PM »

Probably 1/3 I'd estimate.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 01:55:24 PM »

I actually agree with you on this.  A third seems about right.  However, I don't understand how you define theocracy in this situation.  If you go in depth I could estimate better.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »

They all do, because that is what they are voting for.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 03:42:39 PM »

If by "create a theocracy," you mean heavily model U.S. laws to conservative Christianity, a third seems a fairly reasonable estimate.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »

well it depends on your definition of theocracy.  I don't think wanting to ban strip clubs means you want to have a theocracy.  I think it would be around 20%, it's not a high as most people think.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:58:21 PM »

The percentage of Republicans who would support a de jure established church is, I would say, quite low, probably much less than 10%. However, there are several Republicans who would support de facto establishment: school prayer, Bible readings, and the like.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 05:41:16 PM »

Um, like, one percent maybe?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 05:44:23 PM »

It is definitely less than 10%, and almost certainly less than 5. Estimates of 25%, etc., are grossly overstated.

However, would you agree that a substantial part of the Republican party would approve of things like saying the Lord's Prayer and reading the Bible in schools?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 05:45:32 PM »

Yes, but that's not theocracy... I mean, unless you think the United States was a theocracy up until about, what, the 1960s?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »

Yes, but that's not theocracy...
You are correct; I would certainly not call it a theocracy. I was merely qualifying, not challenging, the statement.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »

By 'theocracy' I mean any government that enforces subjective morality derived from religious 'belief' on unwilling citizens. 

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 06:10:40 PM »

By 'theocracy' I mean any government that enforces subjective morality derived from religious 'belief' on unwilling citizens.

Why does it matter where it's derived from? The result is the same.

Your definition of 'theocracy' doesn't really match up with common usage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 06:14:38 PM »

Why does it matter where it's derived from? The result is the same.

Your definition of 'theocracy' doesn't really match up with common usage.

I think it does.  Most socially liberal Democrats are living in fear of what I described above, not a government in which the president is literally a Cardinal or something like that.

It matters from whence oppression is derived, so you can attack the political constitutency backing oppression.  In the US today, that group is the religious.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »

Republicans who actually want to have a literal theocracy... a very small number. Under 5 percent. Having conservative Christian views, however much I disagree with them, does not by itself make one a theocrat.

Anyone who says that it is theocracy is blinded by partisanship. Maybe you could put things in perspective by traveling to Iran and seeing how they do things in an actual theocracy, instead of throwing the term around meaninglessly.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 06:42:47 PM »

Republicans who actually want to have a literal theocracy... a very small number. Under 5 percent. Having conservative Christian views, however much I disagree with them, does not by itself make one a theocrat.

Anyone who says that it is theocracy is blinded by partisanship. Maybe you could put things in perspective by traveling to Iran and seeing how they do things in an actual theocracy, instead of throwing the term around meaninglessly.

It is not meaningless.  If I get tossed in jail for patronizing a prostitute, it is small comfort that the President is not actually a Bishop, or whatever half-assed titles these protestants give their prelates. 

The net result is that religious 'values' have been intolerantly imposed upon me, robbing me of my freedom.  That is something frightening enough to be called theocracy, and really it is functionally the same thing as Iran.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 06:55:45 PM »

The net result is that religious 'values' have been intolerantly imposed upon me, robbing me of my freedom.  That is something frightening enough to be called theocracy, and really it is functionally the same thing as Iran.

You're trivializing the issue. Having restrictions on prostitution is not theocratic (I would legalize it, but that's another subject); stoning women to death for adultery (as in sub-Saharan Africa) is. See the difference?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 06:57:02 PM »

Hopefully, all of them do in one way or another.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 06:57:51 PM »

Hopefully, all of them do in one way or another.
Hopefully? I should think that a theocracy not only is one of the worst forms of governments possible, but also is unconstitutional.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 06:58:47 PM »

Constitutional amendments can make things constitutional.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 07:02:06 PM »

You're trivializing the issue. Having restrictions on prostitution is not theocratic (I would legalize it, but that's another subject); stoning women to death for adultery (as in sub-Saharan Africa) is. See the difference?

A difference of degree, certainly, but exactly the same kind of oppression.  Theocracy.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 07:10:42 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2005, 07:15:44 PM by Bob »

A difference of degree, certainly, but exactly the same kind of oppression.  Theocracy.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're wrong. The "difference of degree" makes all the difference. Calling a conservative Christian a theocrat is the same thing as calling a liberal a Communist. They are not the same, by any means.

Theocracy and Communism are, respectively, religion and leftism taken to their extremes, but that does not make them the same thing.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 09:21:48 PM »

Very few. Some people here don't actually understand what theocracy is.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 06:49:30 AM »

I understand where you're coming from, but you're wrong. The "difference of degree" makes all the difference. Calling a conservative Christian a theocrat is the same thing as calling a liberal a Communist. They are not the same, by any means.

Theocracy and Communism are, respectively, religion and leftism taken to their extremes, but that does not make them the same thing.

I see your point, but I think that both 'conservative christians', and theocrats operate on the assumption that they know what is best for others, and that other's private consensual behaviours should be under their power through State enforcement.  The difference of degree involved is so small that it really doesn't mean anything to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies