Will Graham's military service make a dif?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:30:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Graham's military service make a dif?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Graham's military service make a dif?  (Read 2016 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »

Mitt Romney was the GOP's first nominee since Dewey who didn't serve in the military, but military service wasn't an issue  as none of the candidates had served. Looking at the 2016ers there is only one serious candidate who served and that is Lindsay Graham, who joined the USAF JAG corps right out of college and is still a colonel in the reserves (and has even been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan)

Graham is already setting himself up as the hawkish candidate focusing on foreign policy. Could his unique position as the only one with a military history help?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »

Military service is only used as a wedge issue against the Democratic nominee in the general. They don't care in the primaries.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »

It depends how many massages he gave. All Louie Gohmert has to do is give Steve King a call, and it's Goodnight Graham
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »

Mitt Romney was the GOP's first nominee since Dewey who didn't serve in the military, but military service wasn't an issue  as none of the candidates had served. Looking at the 2016ers there is only one serious candidate who served and that is Lindsay Graham, who joined the USAF JAG corps right out of college and is still a colonel in the reserves (and has even been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan)

Graham is already setting himself up as the hawkish candidate focusing on foreign policy. Could his unique position as the only one with a military history help?

Ronald Reagan made a few patriotic films during World War II. I'd hardly say he served. (He was too old to fight in WW II)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2015, 04:14:06 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Mitt Romney was the GOP's first nominee since Dewey who didn't serve in the military, but military service wasn't an issue  as none of the candidates had served. Looking at the 2016ers there is only one serious candidate who served and that is Lindsay Graham, who joined the USAF JAG corps right out of college and is still a colonel in the reserves (and has even been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan)

Ronald Reagan made a few patriotic films during World War II. I'd hardly say he served. (He was too old to fight in WW II)

Reagan was 30 in 1941... Age was not the reason he landed the sweet propaganda film gig.

"Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his poor eyesight, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas. His first assignment was at the San Francisco Port of Embarkation at Fort Mason, California, as a liaison officer of the Port and Transportation Office. Upon the approval of the Army Air Force (AAF), he applied for a transfer from the cavalry to the AAF on May 15, 1942, and was assigned to AAF Public Relations and subsequently to the First Motion Picture Unit (officially, the "18th Army Air Force Base Unit") in Culver City, California. On January 14, 1943, he was promoted to first lieutenant and was sent to the Provisional Task Force Show Unit of This Is The Army at Burbank, California. He returned to the First Motion Picture Unit after completing this duty and was promoted to captain on July 22, 1943"
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »

Considering how we rarely elect the candidate with military service, no, it won't.
yankeesfan
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »

Will Graham works for the FBI, which is not a branch of the military.  I'd say that his mental health is the greater concern at this juncture. 
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »

No
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »

Nope. 
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:42 PM »

Considering how we rarely elect the candidate with military service, no, it won't.

I was talking GOP nomination where all post WW2 nominees until Romney had military service. I could see him bringing up his deployments in debates to show his bonafides vs some one like Walker who is not deft on foreign policy.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:01 AM »

Will Graham works for the FBI, which is not a branch of the military.  I'd say that his mental health is the greater concern at this juncture. 

Yes, that was my first thought. Second was Bob Graham's still in politics? Third, my mind went blank. Fourth I remembered, Lindsay.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »

Mitt Romney was the GOP's first nominee since Dewey who didn't serve in the military, but military service wasn't an issue  as none of the candidates had served. Looking at the 2016ers there is only one serious candidate who served and that is Lindsay Graham, who joined the USAF JAG corps right out of college and is still a colonel in the reserves (and has even been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan)

Reagan was 30 in 1941... Age was not the reason he landed the sweet propaganda film gig.

"Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his poor eyesight, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas. His first assignment was at the San Francisco Port of Embarkation at Fort Mason, California, as a liaison officer of the Port and Transportation Office. Upon the approval of the Army Air Force (AAF), he applied for a transfer from the cavalry to the AAF on May 15, 1942, and was assigned to AAF Public Relations and subsequently to the First Motion Picture Unit (officially, the "18th Army Air Force Base Unit") in Culver City, California. On January 14, 1943, he was promoted to first lieutenant and was sent to the Provisional Task Force Show Unit of This Is The Army at Burbank, California. He returned to the First Motion Picture Unit after completing this duty and was promoted to captain on July 22, 1943"

Oh, I didn't know any of that (except for the making propaganda films) thanks for the correction Smiley

Did you know that Dr Seuss made pro America drawings during WWII?  Wonderful stuff.  Also, Orson Welles pitched in with pro United Nations efforts "we will not go back."

Regarding Lindsey Graham's military service/foreign policy experience.  I think even among many Republicans that his stance of 'every war from now until the end of time" will not play well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies