Obama breaking out the veto pen today for Keystone (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:13:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama breaking out the veto pen today for Keystone (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama breaking out the veto pen today for Keystone  (Read 9905 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: February 24, 2015, 05:56:07 PM »

From what I've heard, I think it makes sense to approve the Keystone XL. 

That said, Republicans act like this is some enormous issue and the pipeline would save the economy.  It terms of the economy, it's meaningless.  For both sides, it's clearly more symbolic than anything. 

So, why not use this issue to compromise?  Liberals give in on the Keystone and in exchange, we get the Infrastructure Reinvestment Bank or improvements to the Clean Air Act.  That would make sense, no?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »

From what I've heard, I think it makes sense to approve the Keystone XL. 

That said, Republicans act like this is some enormous issue and the pipeline would save the economy.  It terms of the economy, it's meaningless.  For both sides, it's clearly more symbolic than anything. 

So, why not use this issue to compromise?  Liberals give in on the Keystone and in exchange, we get the Infrastructure Reinvestment Bank or improvements to the Clean Air Act.  That would make sense, no?

Agreed.

However, I think Obama's made it quite clear he's done compromising.

Obama has always been willing to compromise, but Republicans hate compromise.  That's the pattern we've established.  Remember during the primaries where Republicans wouldn't trade $1 in tax increases for $10 in spending cuts? 

And, what's the deal with this Republican mindset. 

"OK, we don't want to maintain our infrastructure or improve the economy, but we're crazy about it when it coincides with shilling for the oil industry!"  That's really the compromise, isn't it?  They want the government to do nothing to hurt Obama and discredit the idea of government as a positive force, but they'll compromise that idea if an oil company tells them to.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »

Wulfric, can you name something Republicans have compromised on during the Obama administration besides mandatory appropriations bills?  I can't think of anything. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies