BREAKING: Ron Paul still a racist (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:13:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Ron Paul still a racist (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Ron Paul still a racist  (Read 1945 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: February 24, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »

For the record, there are just as many White people on food stamps as black people.

That's not racism, that's hyper-partisanism, which one still wouldn't expect from Ron Paul (and is still wrong).

I'll play devil's advocate - is that as a percentage or a pure number? I absolutely don't agree with Paul, but I just wanted to ask.

Percentage or pure number doesn't really matter. The fact that whites could be on food stamps is a number so large and in communities so large proves there is nothing infallible about whites as a race whether it's 1% of 100 million or 10% of 10 million and that the subject of race and food stamp usage can be safely dropped at that point.

A lot of people who want to cut for ALL food stamps (most of which go to Whites) are called racist sometimes, too, so I wouldn't necessarily say race and food stamps are being tied together by one side specifically.

Well, "food stamps!" is used as a racist dogwhistle*, despite the fact that there are plenty of whites on SNAP as well. That's how language works, it doesn't need to have a perfect correspondence with reality (and in cases like these it's often better that it doesn't).  That such usage erases the experience of poor whites on food stamps is merely another reason to oppose its use in public discourse.

*Not by every single person who brings it up, TBF.  But by most of them– and by Lew Rockwell in particular? That I'd bet on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies