Retromike's "Fear and Hockey in Las Vegas."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:50:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Retromike's "Fear and Hockey in Las Vegas."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Retromike's "Fear and Hockey in Las Vegas."  (Read 3024 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2015, 08:19:59 PM by RR1997 »

I sat on a bus next to an Indian dude who wouldn't eat any meat except veal.  It was a hell of a long trip.  Cleveland to Fort Worth.  Nearly 24 hours.  This guy wouldn't eat a steak or a pork chop or a lamb shank, but he'd eat veal.  Seriously, veal.  

I'm assuming that RR1997 is Dravidian.  About 30 percent of the folks from the indian subcontinent are Dravidian.  They are the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka, for example, and the Telugu-speaking people of the South.  They may not like to think of themselves as "white" the way the Hindi and the Bengali and other Indo-Europeans of Northern India do.  Actually, in US, UK, and German atlases they do not show up as Aryan, so it's not necessarily an Indian thing.  Clearly, the Europeans historically don't consider Dravidians "white" either.  Why any of them wouldn't like Northern Indian cuisine I can't imagine.  Maybe RR1997 is just radically anti-Aryan.  Like, I don't like the Hindustani people of Northern India or the Marathi of Goa, therefore I don't like Saag Paneer or Chicken Vindaloo.  

There may also be some animosity.  I know many people from Nanjing.  Most of them who are over 40 won't have anything to do with Nikon, Toyota, or Mitsubishi.  Nevermind that a good camera is a good camera, or a good car is a good car, or a good stereo is a good stereo.  All they can think about is the Rape of Nanjing.  To be sure it was horrific.  Probably the most horrible acts of Man's inhumanity toward Man that had ever occurred to that point.  When they found out that Obama refused to visit Hiroshima they applauded.  That, I can understand.  The reluctance not to even test drive a Toyota I cannot.  Well, I can sort of.  Old prejudices die hard.  I also know a filipino girl who won't eat anything except Chef-Boy-R-Dee Ravioli in a can.  She wants so badly to be "American" and to be accepted by all her American friends that she turns down the savory and hard-prepared meals her mother gives her in favor of partially-hydrogenated cottonseed oil posing as cheese.  

Of course Hockeydude is just being Hockeydude.  He's not bigoted toward Indians of any stripe.  He has deeply-entrenched bigotries, but they include only Republicans and anyone who believes in any religion or gods.  Hindus may be collateral damage, but they aren't the primary target of his anti-religious bigotries, Christians are.   If he genuinely doesn't like Indian food I can only assume that he has some DNA damage, a conclusion that is supported by several other lines of evidence.

Huh

I was actually mainly referring to South Indian food on my last post. I actually like North Indian food better than South Indian (I'm South Indian). North Indian food is average/below average, while South Indian food is awful.

I was referring to white people of European descent on my last post, not Northern Indians. I don't have anything against white people. Caucasians are my favorite race. I was joking. Although I do hate it when people (white or not) tell me that they like Indian food. I just don't see how they like that stuff.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 08:32:13 PM by RR1997 »

Although I'm South Indian, I might not be completely Dravidian. I come from the Brahmin caste.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 08:46:52 PM by angus »

haha.  To each his own, I suppose.  Man, I love all the Indian food I've eaten.  Some of it was better than others, but it was all so complex and tasty.  I have a good friend that I see about once every two years, and every time he has us over his wife makes the most wonderful omelettes for breakfast.  Kitchen Sink.  Purple onions, white onions, mushrooms, cilantro, mango bits, the white cheesy substance that Indians like, red pequin chiles, green chiles, and tomatoes--nevermind the Columbian Exchange, or that the tomato wasn't known in India, or that corn wasn't known to the Chinese, or that Chocolate wasn't known to the Belgians, or that potatoes were not known to the Irish, etc., before circa AD1500--her omelettes are the best.  And for lunch, oh, my, the yogurt-encrusted chicken and green chutney and homemade samosas are like Nirvana for the tongue, and the biriani and spinach and beans and all the rest.  Kiss  What a feast!  I could eat it every day!  It is hard, therefore, for me to imagine anyone, especially an Indian, who doesn't like Indian food.  Nevertheless, I do not like Budweiser Beer.  Alas, I am a gringo who doesn't like Budweiser.  Imagine that!  I suppose that there are Frenchmen who do not like Champagne, and Australians who do not like vegemite.  (Actually, I suspect that there are a good many Australians who do not like vegemite, probably a bad example.)  Anyway, I do not like Budweiser, nor do I enjoy Big Macs or Cheese Whiz or Ketchup on french-fried potatoes, and therefore I should accept that there are Indians who do not like Indian food.  I surrender.  Peace.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 10:13:09 PM »

Speaking of food, I'm currently midway through a buffet at the Golden Nugget. Prime rib, mussels, crab legs, and some really good cheese bread Smiley
retromike22
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 01:00:41 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2015, 02:55:08 AM by retromike22 »

After the buffet, I headed over to Fremont Street. There were street performers which were either celebrity look-a-likes or members of the circus sideshow. I saw a man without arms, a midget, and a really, really tall man. The crowd was a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It was often difficult to tell the difference between regular (maybe not the best adjective) people and the circus sideshow. I thought about going to a random person and asking to take a picture with them.

One thing I notice about this city is that homeless people are more aggressive and verbal (we had a few singers) than from those back in L.A. I give Joe major props in living here.

My attempts to find Joe have been met with an unfortunate response:

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »

Buffets are good.  Especially Indian ones.  Here's the ad I got at the top of my forum page this forum. 

Slightly more relevant that the advertisements for Russian mail-order brides that I usually see.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

The last hockey game ended and I'm heading home. They won the championship (yay?) We're watching The Three Stooges in the car, which I find appropriate. Goodbye Las Vegas, and Joe Republic, you have my respect for living in such a crazy place. I'll catch you next time Wink

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 07:25:58 PM »

Larry, Moe, and Curly?  Or Shemp?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 07:58:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: