MT-Sen: Montana Auditor John Morrison Runs for US Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:50:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  MT-Sen: Montana Auditor John Morrison Runs for US Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MT-Sen: Montana Auditor John Morrison Runs for US Senate  (Read 19507 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2005, 03:50:56 PM »

From the AP:

HELENA -- Democratic State Auditor John Morrison, a former Helena attorney who has spearheaded efforts to make health insurance more affordable for Montanans, announced Monday his bid for U.S. Senate against Republican incumbent Sen. Conrad Burns.

News of the campaign was not unexpected. Morrison, 43, was considered a likely challenger to Burns and had been soliciting donations in recent weeks on a Web site offering information on how to contact his campaign.

"As a Montanan, I'm very concerned about the way things are going in Washington, D.C.," Morrison said in a written statement. "And so I've been talking with lots of my fellow Montanans about a bid for the United States Senate in 2006, and have begun laying the groundwork for a Senate campaign."

Commentary From The Swing State Project:

"Senator Conrad Burns is heading to the slaughter house come November 2006 and whoever wins the Democratic primary will need to find a place to live in D.C.

Burns is running for his fourth term, after breaking his oath to serve only two. Burns has a 36% re-elect number, is up-to-his hat in a corruption scandal, and has a voting record that shows complete disdain for the interests of Montana families. If the feds don't send Burns to jail, the Montana voters will send him packing."

ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »

How much of a chance does this guy have?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »

Im not sure to be honest, but any Democrat has a chance.  Burns' re-elect numbers are dropping like a brick and he is knee-deep in scandal.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:51:03 PM »

Any word on whether Jon Tester will run?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 06:07:04 PM »

What's the Swing State project?  Is it partisan?

And I wonder if Burns will even bother to run for re-election if his numbers are that low.  Damn, the Republicans are having a hard time in Montana right now.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 06:07:17 PM »

Im not sure to be honest, but any Democrat has a chance.  Burns' re-elect numbers are dropping like a brick and he is knee-deep in scandal.

The Democrats sure are dominating the local GOP in a state that went 60% for Bush! I think if they win this seat in '06, they'll have full control of the state, correct?

Although their legislature majorities are slim, or at least, one of them is.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:10:44 PM »

The Democrats sure are dominating the local GOP in a state that went 60% for Bush! I think if they win this seat in '06, they'll have full control of the state, correct?

Although their legislature majorities are slim, or at least, one of them is.

Correct.  Montana confuses the hell out of me.  Democrats are beginning to take over at the State level, but they refuse to vote for a Democrat in a Presidential election.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:16:22 PM »

Actually, I just checked, and the congressional delegation is still Republican (yes, all one of them).

I wonder if Federal Rep. Denny Rehberg could save this seat for the Republicans.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 06:18:37 PM »

What's the Swing State project?  Is it partisan?

And I wonder if Burns will even bother to run for re-election if his numbers are that low.  Damn, the Republicans are having a hard time in Montana right now.

Yes, the Swing State Project is partisan.  But its still a good place to get info and news regarding 2005, 2006, and 2008.  They post facts, but the commentary to go along with the facts defintiley has a Democratic bias.

I've heard some talk of Burns not running for re-election...  If his approval ratings and re-elect numbers completley bottom out, I could def. see him deciding against another run.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 06:24:59 PM »

Actually, I just checked, and the congressional delegation is still Republican (yes, all one of them).

I wonder if Federal Rep. Denny Rehberg could save this seat for the Republicans.

I really dont know much about him.  Still, if Burns decides not to run, Rehberg would probably be the favorite to win this seat. 

Rehberg won re-election...

in 2004 w/ 64%
in 2002 w/ 64%
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 07:05:18 PM »

From the AP:

HELENA -- Democratic State Auditor John Morrison, a former Helena attorney who has spearheaded efforts to make health insurance more affordable for Montanans, announced Monday his bid for U.S. Senate against Republican incumbent Sen. Conrad Burns.

News of the campaign was not unexpected. Morrison, 43, was considered a likely challenger to Burns and had been soliciting donations in recent weeks on a Web site offering information on how to contact his campaign.

"As a Montanan, I'm very concerned about the way things are going in Washington, D.C.," Morrison said in a written statement. "And so I've been talking with lots of my fellow Montanans about a bid for the United States Senate in 2006, and have begun laying the groundwork for a Senate campaign."

Commentary From The Swing State Project:

"Senator Conrad Burns is heading to the slaughter house come November 2006 and whoever wins the Democratic primary will need to find a place to live in D.C.

Burns is running for his fourth term, after breaking his oath to serve only two. Burns has a 36% re-elect number, is up-to-his hat in a corruption scandal, and has a voting record that shows complete disdain for the interests of Montana families. If the feds don't send Burns to jail, the Montana voters will send him packing."

while all this is good and welcome news, where exactly did they get this figure of 36%?  i am as partisan a Democrat as they come, but i want to have a more mainstream source for such figures than the Swing State Project, for i most certainly could not find it in the article that that site linked to. 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 07:29:32 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2005, 08:04:10 PM by nickshepDEM »

while all this is good and welcome news, where exactly did they get this figure of 36%?  i am as partisan a Democrat as they come, but i want to have a more mainstream source for such figures than the Swing State Project, for i most certainly could not find it in the article that that site linked to. 

The 36% comes from a DSCC poll conducted about a month or so ago.  I posted the poll a while back.  Do a search, it will come up.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 07:41:51 PM »

Maybe the Democrats in the Montana legislature will enact a CD split for 2008 so they can at least get some electors. Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »

Maybe the Democrats in the Montana legislature will enact a CD split for 2008 so they can at least get some electors. Wink

A grand total of 1 extra elector if they're lucky. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 08:24:03 PM »

A grand total of 1 extra elector if they're lucky. Smiley

Is MT gaining in 2008, then? Otherwise it's all or nothing, since they have only 3.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »

Is MT gaining in 2008, then? Otherwise it's all or nothing, since they have only 3.

I was basing that on the proposed system that Colorado tried to bring in.  Using the same system, 3 votes would probably be split 2-1.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 08:38:33 PM »

I was basing that on the proposed system that Colorado tried to bring in.  Using the same system, 3 votes would probably be split 2-1.

Ah, I see. But if they did the congressional split thing, which I assume Philip was implying, nothing would change. Wink
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 08:39:42 PM »

I didn't imply it, I said it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 08:41:06 PM »

I didn't imply it, I said it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, in that case, I imply that I stand corrected.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 08:54:13 PM »

It's not TOO surprising that the Democrats are winning in Montana. It's sort of like the South--Montanan Democrats aren't exactly like John Kerry!

Although it would appear they stole one seat in the state legislature, they certainly have been doing very well there...I'll be going to Montana this summer. Smiley
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 10:34:07 PM »

it's a beautiful state, hae a good time Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 10:25:23 AM »

In my opinion, (i'm no expert on that region, being from Ohio, espicaly Motana*.  I think Jon Tester is the best candidate. 

*Sate level Dem., Pres., Rep.

You're from Ohio?  Whereabouts?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 04:02:15 PM »

I'm in CD3, near Dayton. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length