MO-GOV: Schweich dead from gunshot wound
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:35:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-GOV: Schweich dead from gunshot wound
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: MO-GOV: Schweich dead from gunshot wound  (Read 12540 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

You're obviously unfamiliar with what a whisper campaign is.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »

You're obviously unfamiliar with what a whisper campaign is.

You are obviously making unstated assumptions.

Why Tom Schweich killed himself is one question. Why a top aid to Tom Schweich killed himself may be a related question. Was there a whisper campaign is another question. Was there any relationship between the two is a third question.

I have commented on the first, second and fourth questions. I think the third question is probably a tangent. How exactly does that imply I am unaware of what a "whispering campaign" is?

The three major explanations for suicide are, first, that it was an irrational decision made by someone who was irrational, maybe due to depression, rejection, etc.; second; that it is the decision many stockbrokers took in 1929; or, third, a decision to opt out of the pain of a terminal illness. Given the totality of the circumstances those possibilities ought to explored and exhausted before settling on the possibility that two very marginal personalities were given very gentle nudges.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »

How did you manage to write a paragraph and say absolutely nothing?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »

How did you manage to write a paragraph and say absolutely nothing?

I see you have met BigSkyBob...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »

Kinder considering.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »

He would be a strong candidate. People have been voting for him as Lieutenant Governor since 2004.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »

Long WaPo feature on Schweich.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

The description of the call that happened during his final moments was pretty damn depressing. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm a bit surprised that really nothing has changed. Maybe this all ends up just being baggage for Hanaway in the primaries/general? Or is it going to effect the MO Republican Party as a whole?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 02:41:28 AM »

Here is a much more objective report on what actually happened:

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/police-missouri-auditor-tom-schweich-talked-of-suicide-left-no-note/21048998_32366062

And, a report that adds critical information:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MISSOURI_AUDITOR?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The key takeaways is that Schweich had been suicidal for some time. He had severe Crohn's Disease. Clearly, he was severely depressed, but, had refused to seek any help. He had even threatened to kill himself while holding a gun in hand. His suicide seems to have everything to do with depression.

No substantial "whispering campaign" was ever found. Schweich had stated he would have to, "run as an independent or he needed to kill himself."

The last statement would explain the press conference. Perhaps, he called the conference to announce he was running as an independent, only realize that was a hopeless undertaking.

Now that the real facts are out, I cannot state how despicable it was for John Danforth to assert the "thin skull" principle applies. That refers to criminal acts. Tom Schweich wasn't a fourteen year-old girl being bullied about her looks on social media. He was a grown man seeking to be in the public eye. The person bearing moral responsible for the suicide of Tom Schweich is Tom Schweich.

Those who played up the Jewish angle were being equally outrageous. One person wrote that Missouri has "never had a Jewish governor" as if that were evidence of anything. Here's a link to a list of every Missouri governor.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_Missouri

I'm not aware of any of them being Black, nor Hispanic. None seem to have an obvious Slavic name, Italian name or Greek name. Given a pool of less than sixty, and given the percentage of population of Missouri that is Jewish, zero Jewish governors is a rounding error from the expected value using random chance. While Missouri has not had a Jewish governor, apparently, twenty-four Jews have been governors of other states, including two currently serving. Of course, Missouri has two Black Congressmen, including one of the few in a White super-majority district, so charges of "racism" seems well stuffed with straw.

It is interesting to note that had Schweich had a Jewish maternal grandmother many Jews would insist that he was in fact "Jewish" even if he was a practicing Episcopalian.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »

This is definitely the low-point of my life, but I think kind of sort of agree with BigSkyBob? :/

I mean, the articles linked here seem to rather indicate that this guy had some issues that were triggered by a belief in a whisper campaign that probably wasn't really happening. Or did I miss something?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »

This is definitely the low-point of my life, but I think kind of sort of agree with BigSkyBob? :/

I mean, the articles linked here seem to rather indicate that this guy had some issues that were triggered by a belief in a whisper campaign that probably wasn't really happening. Or did I miss something?
The whisper campaign has been confirmed by multiple Republicans who have quoted Hancock saying Schweich was Jewish.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »

The whisper campaign has been confirmed by multiple Republicans who have quoted Hancock saying Schweich was Jewish.

A mention isn't a whisper campaign though. I read some of the articles linked here, there didn't seem to be much hard evidence for that going on.

I mean, is it even a thing in the current GOP? They love Israel!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »

A mention isn't a whisper campaign though. I read some of the articles linked here, there didn't seem to be much hard evidence for that going on.

There's a pretty good St. Louis Post-Dispatch writeup on how much of a barrier anti-Semitism is in Missouri.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »

It's not hard for anyone in Missouri to imagine that being Jewish, having a Jewish sounding name, or having Jewish ancestry would be an impediment to seeking statewide office. St. Louis has a very large Jewish community, but once you leave the more liberal regions on the City and County, things can get nasty, not to mention the rural and desperately poor regions in the south and north of the state. There are a lot of hate groups in Missouri to perpetuate the cycle of bigotry, lots of ignorant white trash to support them, and racism and antisemitism are deeply rooted. Pretending like it isn't so is hopelessly naive or worse.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:39 PM »

There's a pretty good St. Louis Post-Dispatch writeup on how much of a barrier anti-Semitism is in Missouri.

The article concludes that rural [Republican] Missourians just aren't exposed enough to the religion, exacerbating the urban/rural tolerance divide. But a divide of this magnitude just stuns me. The stark difference between voters and Republican politicians (who are so obsessively pro-Israel, not even Democrats who actually ARE Jewish can compare) is so mind numbingly huge, I just don't see how the anti-semitism is so widespread as the article suggests. I think it's just a few high profile bad apples, or am I just naive?

Unless Republican politicians are not actually representing the views of their constituents, which just seems like the gimme answer to this.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »

They support Israel because the Jews have to be in Israel to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem in order for the Rapture to occur. Among the unsaved: the Jews that don't accept Christ into their hearts.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »

The article concludes that rural [Republican] Missourians just aren't exposed enough to the religion, exacerbating the urban/rural tolerance divide. But a divide of this magnitude just stuns me. The stark difference between voters and Republican politicians (who are so obsessively pro-Israel, not even Democrats who actually ARE Jewish can compare) is so mind numbingly huge, I just don't see how the anti-semitism is so widespread as the article suggests. I think it's just a few high profile bad apples, or am I just naive?

Unless Republican politicians are not actually representing the views of their constituents, which just seems like the gimme answer to this.

Pro-Israel≠pro-Jewish. The Republicans are largely supportive of, say, Saudi Arabia's foreign policy in the region as well, but that doesn't mean Republicans are comfortable with electing Muslim politicians.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »

Yeah, I mean, this doesn't leave me with a feeling that this would have been a huge thing either?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »

Yeah, I mean, this doesn't leave me with a feeling that this would have been a huge thing either?

Whether or not there was any Anti-Semitism involved, it would be a big thing for the State Auditor to shoot himself.  Personally after getting an idea of his personality I know now he was probably a bit off in regards to that - that didn't overtly hurt his job performance though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »

What are Eric Greitens odds of winning the Republican nomination?  I like him a lot.  Very pragmatic. He could he an excellent 2020 or 2024 GOP Presidential candidate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »

What are Eric Greitens odds of winning the Republican nomination?  I like him a lot.  He could he an excellent 2020 or 2024 GOP Presidential candidate.

If his opponents include that lunkhead Kinder, probably high chance of a dark horse upset.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

What are Eric Greitens odds of winning the Republican nomination? I heard he is running and I like him a lot.  He could he an excellent 2020 or 2024 GOP Presidential candidate.
Polling has been nonexistent since the suicide, in which Schweich and Hanaway were the two real contenders. My intuition would say that because she has all the money, Hanaway is still the frontrunner, but I don't know if her lead will hold. If Kinder jumps in he would probably attract most of Hanaway's supporters, who see her as damaged goods at the moment. Not a lot of people are paying attention to an election a year and a half away, so it is really hard to gauge support, especially for candidates who have low name recognition. I wish a serious polling firm would take a look at all the major 2016 races so we Missouri politicos could have a better idea of what is happening.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »

What are Eric Greitens odds of winning the Republican nomination?  I like him a lot.  He could he an excellent 2020 or 2024 GOP Presidential candidate.

If his opponents include that lunkhead Kinder, probably high chance of a dark horse upset.

Godspeed. Missouri did vote for Santorum and Akin in the primaries, though, so not holding my breath..

Polling has been nonexistent since the suicide, in which Schweich and Hanaway were the two real contenders. My intuition would say that because she has all the money, Hanaway is still the frontrunner, but I don't know if her lead will hold. If Kinder jumps in he would probably attract most of Hanaway's supporters, who see her as damaged goods at the moment. Not a lot of people are paying attention to an election a year and a half away, so it is really hard to gauge support, especially for candidates who have low name recognition. I wish a serious polling firm would take a look at all the major 2016 races so we Missouri politicos could have a better idea of what is happening.

Greitens is definitely a dark horse, but hopefully the right wingers will fall in love with his military background. He might not be conservative enough on domestic issues.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »

Oh, and according to campaign finance disclosures, we know that Koster has $3 million cash on hand, Hanaway $1.2 million(most of it from Rex Sinquefeld),Greitens $450,000, and Kinder has $56,000.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:33 PM »

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I didn't find another thread for it, but we have a new Republican candidate for Lt. Gov.  Bev Randles for Lt. Gov
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies