What color is this dress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:02:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What color is this dress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: Which colors do you see?
White/Gold

Blue/Black

Blue/Gold

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: What color is this dress?  (Read 13073 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »

I think the mistake the white/gold people are making is to not take the background into account.  Given the bright yellowish glare you see there, your eyes should be adjusting the brightness of the dress down, not up.  I could understand the dress being seen as white/gold if it was clearly taken in a dark room with a blue-ish light source, but looking at the background it obviously isn't.

Aren't you overthinking this? It's not like people spend a couple of minutes assessing the image only to then reach the conclusion "ah yes, the background is quite clearly ___ so it should be ____, now I see it." My brain is telling me it's gold and white and who am I to argue with my brain?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2015, 06:29:15 PM by Torie »

This tends to confirm that males tend to be color blind/challenged. Beyond per adventure, what we have here is a powder blue, and a taupe brown (both the blue and the brown have a lot of grey in them). My partner Danny says this dress thing is to silly bugger one, because the colors look different on each computer, but he just showed me what it looked like on his computer, and the colors were the same. But then we both have Macs. Whatever.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »

And the winner is ...

Roman Originals 🍷🍸

Their sales will be boosted within the next few days.

I wouldn't be surprised if it should emerge soon that the hype was all a big marketing gag...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »

Wouldn't it be the most amazing thing ever if Jimmy Kimmel were somehow involved in this, like if he came out Monday with and held up a specially-made white and gold version of the dress and said "See, it really WAS white and gold all along!"
Panda Express

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »

An article on the science behind this dress

Basically, it is a fact that is a blue dress with black stripes. So those of us that see it as a blue dress with black stripes are "correct" and the way our eyes/brain perceives images is working correctly.

If you don't see a blue dress with black stripes, I'm sorry to say but you're genetically defective and evolutionary speaking, there is something very wrong with you and you probably shouldn't reproduce.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2015, 07:42:26 PM »

How can anyone think the dress on the right would look like the one in the middle under a shadow? Blue and black would get lighter in the shade? There may be a blue and black dress for sale and pictures of that but OP's image is clearly white and gold.

The whole thing is probably a marketing campaign.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »

Wouldn't it be the most amazing thing ever if Jimmy Kimmel were somehow involved in this, like if he came out Monday with and held up a specially-made white and gold version of the dress and said "See, it really WAS white and gold all along!"

I'd rather want to see Guillermo in that dress. Tongue
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »

How can anyone think the dress on the right would look like the one in the middle under a shadow? Blue and black would get lighter in the shade? There may be a blue and black dress for sale and pictures of that but OP's image is clearly white and gold.

it's not in the shade, though. look at the one below/to the left of it.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »

So apparently the dress is actually black and blue; the lighting made it appear yellow and black to some, myself included.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Womens-Detail-Bodycon-Dress/dp/B00SJEUCWU/ref=cm_rdp_product

I would recommend reading the reviews before ordering one, a lot of good suggestions there Wink
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »

For me the first 2 definitely look like white and gold. The last one looks like blue and gold.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »

For me the first 2 definitely look like white and gold. The last one looks like blue and gold.

All of them look blue and black to me.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »

You seriously see that shiny gold as black? That's the most baffling thing here.

The white/blue thing is easily explained as a difference of whether it's in shadow or in light, but I just don't see how anyone can say the stripes are black. I've raised this point several times in this thread and no one on the blue/black squad has offered an explanation on how the gold/brown (not even a dark shade of it!) look black...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2015, 12:29:14 AM »

anyone who sees the far left dress as anything but white and gold should be banned for trolling.
Panda Express

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2015, 12:52:23 AM »

I've raised this point several times in this thread and no one on the blue/black squad has offered an explanation on how the gold/brown (not even a dark shade of it!) look black...

It looks black because it's black. Next question.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2015, 01:07:02 AM »

I've raised this point several times in this thread and no one on the blue/black squad has offered an explanation on how the gold/brown (not even a dark shade of it!) look black...

It looks black because it's black. Next question.

As you are aware, this has never been about what the dress actually is in real life. I want to know how you look at a golden-brown color like that, not even a dark one, and think it's black. Do you honestly see it as black, or do you have some kind of internal thought process of "hmmm, those stripes look gold because that's a really reflective material that would be black if I saw it in person under normal lighting conditions" ?

I guess what I'm saying is, do you actually see this as black, or do you agree that this color is gold-brown-ish and just translate that as the stripe is probably black?
Panda Express

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2015, 01:15:56 AM »

I saw it as black and blue before I even knew what it was supposed to be. That's because my eyes and brain can perceive colors correctly. It's ok that you can't; many disabled people have gone on to do great things.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2015, 01:17:55 AM »

I saw it as black and blue before I even knew what it was supposed to be. That's because my eyes and brain can perceive colors correctly. It's ok that you can't; many disabled people have gone on to do great things.

So ... you do see the square I posted as black?
Panda Express

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »

Oh, are we posting random shapes and colors that have nothing to do with the dress? Let me try. Do you see this trapezoid as lavender?

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2015, 01:41:51 AM »

Oh, are we posting random shapes and colors that have nothing to do with the dress? Let me try. Do you see this trapezoid as lavender?

That circle looks pretty green to me
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2015, 02:53:56 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 02:57:27 AM by IceSpear »

At first I saw white and gold, then changed to blue and gold. I don't understand how anyone sees blue and black.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2015, 02:55:39 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 02:57:57 AM by Joe Republic »

As you are aware, this has never been about what the dress actually is in real life. I want to know how you look at a golden-brown color like that, not even a dark one, and think it's black. Do you honestly see it as black, or do you have some kind of internal thought process of "hmmm, those stripes look gold because that's a really reflective material that would be black if I saw it in person under normal lighting conditions" ?

Our brains are reducing the brightness of the lighting that our eyes see, so that the brown becomes the black that it actually is.  It's the same process that your eyes are, for who knows what reason, seeing the blue as 'white but with a blue tint' from who knows where.

Like I said before, look at the background.  Look at it in the three pictures above, in fact.  Sure, the one on the left now appears so washed out that the dress is now gold and pale blue.  But can you make out anything at all in the background now?  No, because the whole photo is totally bleached out.  Meaning that this could not possibly be the dress's colors.  And you still can't see any source of this 'blue light'.  But now look at the photo on the right.  You can actually start to make out some details in the background - arguably even somebody's hair - because the photo has been adjusted to its subjects' correct colors.  Our brains could instantly tell, using the background as a cue, that the photo was too bright, and therefore our brains should increase the contrast and darken that brown into black.

That said, even when I cover up the background to remove the context, the 'white' that you're seeing is still very clearly light blue.  I mean dear god, this entire forum background is almost white so you have a point of reference literally adjacent to the photo...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2015, 05:23:53 AM »

I don't understand what those people are seeing.

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we witness your enthusiasm for HILLARY 2016

Simply put, we just see reality for how it actually exists. Tongue

For me, as I mentioned before, the black parts toward the very top do have a slight gold-ish tint. But, also as mentioned before, that is clearly a result of the lighting. At worst for me, the black parts appear somewhat washed-out due to the lighting. Basically, my eyes see black in a bright/washed-out light. I still have no idea where people are getting white out of blue though. I've tried everything to try to see white, but I suppose that I apparently cannot get my brain to see something that is not there.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2015, 06:36:17 AM »

So are we to refer to Republican posters as gold-avatars from now on?
Panda Express

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2015, 07:26:05 AM »

Here is a YouGov poll for this, taken in the UK.

Now, this seems very high for blue/black since most polls on the internet will show 50/50.

However, we can still look at the cross-tabs and we see there is a MASSIVE age gap.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2015, 07:56:23 AM »

What the f**k? Where is anyone seeing black? Huh Huh Huh
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »