What color is this dress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What color is this dress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: Which colors do you see?
White/Gold

Blue/Black

Blue/Gold

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: What color is this dress?  (Read 12967 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »

What the f**k? Where is anyone seeing black? Huh Huh Huh

It's a massively overexposed photograph, and some people's eyes are correctly correcting for this and others' obviously aren't.

Curiously, when I first saw it I said blue and black, but now I see the black as gold (which it objectively is in the actual image, because of the massive overexposure).  I still cannot see white however I look at it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 08:48:30 AM by angus »

wow, there's a poll on YouGov.  And it's that same photo.  I realize that this forum is populated by the type of teenage males who obsess over women's clothing, but yougov?  I suppose I'd be in the 7% other, because I still think it's sky blue with olive or copper trim.

Actually, last night I noticed on one of my middle-aged friend's facebook page that she said something like "and by the way, the dress is actually" and then she named some colors.  I forget which colors.  I thought at the time that she was talking about this same photo.  I thought it was an odd thing to put on a facebook page.  One expects this sort of fixation on irrelevant minutiae on Atlas Forum, but The overanalysis of this photo on other channels is starting to get a little creepy.  

People argue about colors, and it's really not worth it.  I *always* refer to the protonated form of litmus as pink, because it is definitely pink in my mind, even though all the textbooks call it "red."  But I don't argue about it.  I just refer to it as pink and move on.  If someone calls it red I know what they're talking about.  Also, I know people with orange hair, and it's definitely orange, even though most folks call that same color "red."  I don't argue about that either, I have just learned that what people mean in that context is orange when they say red.  Red is such an over-used word.  To bad, because it is by far my favorite color.  I have a red backpack, a red mousepad, a red hooded sweatshirt, lots of other red clothes, and although my current car is blue, I've had several red cars and I'd probably have bought this on in red if it came in red.  That hideous dress, even, looks halfway decent when it is red (and when the jacket is left off).

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »

However, we can still look at the cross-tabs and we see there is a MASSIVE age gap.

So, is the whole "white and gold" phenomenon caused by people who stare at screens all day and never go outside to see how light and colour work in the real world?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 10:37:50 AM by Harry »

Like I said before, look at the background.  Look at it in the three pictures above, in fact.  Sure, the one on the left now appears so washed out that the dress is now gold and pale blue.  But can you make out anything at all in the background now?  No, because the whole photo is totally bleached out.  Meaning that this could not possibly be the dress's colors.  And you still can't see any source of this 'blue light'.  But now look at the photo on the right.  You can actually start to make out some details in the background - arguably even somebody's hair - because the photo has been adjusted to its subjects' correct colors.  Our brains could instantly tell, using the background as a cue, that the photo was too bright, and therefore our brains should increase the contrast and darken that brown into black.

Sorry, I think the most natural assumption is that there is very bright light in the background, implying that what we're seeing is in shadow, because the lit-up background implies that all the light is behind the dress.

Other than just being directly told, I see no context clues to assume there's an additional (and also unusually-colored) light source behind the photographer.

Does that explain why so many people are assuming the dress is lighter?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »

I saw it as black and blue before I even knew what it was supposed to be. That's because my eyes and brain can perceive colors correctly. It's ok that you can't; many disabled people have gone on to do great things.

So ... you do see the square I posted as black?

Oh, are we posting random shapes and colors that have nothing to do with the dress? Let me try. Do you see this trapezoid as lavender?

This is directly taken from a pixel of the top stripe. And I tried to go for one of the middle, not just the most obvious bright one.

The fact that you're dodging the question strongly implies that you agree this color of the square isn't black.

This leads to a second question -- how did you know on sight that the material was something that is THAT reflective? Most black fabrics wouldn't reflect that much light as to appear shiny gold. In fact, until this meme came out I probably didn't realize there were any.

Maybe there's a correlation between people who are good at recognizing fancy fabrics on sight and what color you perceive? I'm sure if I saw the photo and saw like "hmmm, that looks like XYZ fabric that looks shiny under light" I might have guessed the stripes are actually black. Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing about fabric types.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »

Yeah, it's obviously not black. I understand that the white/blue thing might be debatable, but no amount of lighting can turn a real black into that brownish gold.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »

I know it's getting silly at this point, but the only possible way that anyone could convince me that that is not milk-white is to show it to me in person. Tongue That ain't blue. There may be a blue version of the dress or there may be some optical illusion at play that does not fool some peoples' eyes, but that is as white as a white rose.

I guess if people think the great deal of light in the picture is causing blue to turn white for some folks, that could be tested using a blue shirt or whatever.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »

People are changing their answers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2015, 02:01:50 PM »

Yeah, it's obviously not black. I understand that the white/blue thing might be debatable, but no amount of lighting can turn a real black into that brownish gold.

Except colors come in various shades. There is a rather substantial spectrum of what is considered black or white, that cannot be sussed out without the benefit of contrast.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »

Except colors come in various shades. There is a rather substantial spectrum of what is considered black or white, that cannot be sussed out without the benefit of contrast.

Darker white and lighter black are called grey.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »

Darker white and lighter black are called grey.

True white is RGB-255, true black is RGB-0. Do you think that RGB-40 looks gray? (Hint: it doesn't.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

It could (and apparently it did) if it were some weird, extremely reflective fabric that was lit in an unusual way, but I certainly wouldn't default to that assumption over the much simpler "the stripes appear to be gold/brown and thus are probably gold/brown."

But I know almost nothing about dresses and dress materials, so that's probably where the misunderstanding lies.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »

For me it appears gold and white, but putting each colour into a colour picker suggests to me that it's gold and light blue.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »

For me it appears gold and white, but putting each colour into a colour picker suggests to me that it's gold and light blue.

Yes, that's correct. The actual dress is blue and black, but objectively in the picture it is light blue and dullish gold.
Panda Express

« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 05:55:24 PM by Vox Populi »

I saw it as black and blue before I even knew what it was supposed to be. That's because my eyes and brain can perceive colors correctly. It's ok that you can't; many disabled people have gone on to do great things.

So ... you do see the square I posted as black?

Oh, are we posting random shapes and colors that have nothing to do with the dress? Let me try. Do you see this trapezoid as lavender?

This is directly taken from a pixel of the top stripe. And I tried to go for one of the middle, not just the most obvious bright one.

The fact that you're dodging the question strongly implies that you agree this color of the square isn't black.

This leads to a second question -- how did you know on sight that the material was something that is THAT reflective? Most black fabrics wouldn't reflect that much light as to appear shiny gold. In fact, until this meme came out I probably didn't realize there were any.

Maybe there's a correlation between people who are good at recognizing fancy fabrics on sight and what color you perceive? I'm sure if I saw the photo and saw like "hmmm, that looks like XYZ fabric that looks shiny under light" I might have guessed the stripes are actually black. Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing about fabric types.

Dude, how is this so hard for you to understand? Reread Joe's post or go back to the link I posted last page that told the "science" of this image. Your stupid square is not the image and is a silly way of obfuscating the argument. Now you're saying I must be a fabric expert? WTF? How did my brain and half the Internet know to adjust? I don't know - it just didbut I can assure you it had nothing to do with me being a fabric expert.

You realize half of us are perceiving the image differently, right? To us, the white/blue is not debatable; it's obviously blue and not debatable at all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »

At first I saw white and gold, then changed to blue and gold. I don't understand how anyone sees blue and black.

I saw and still see blue and gold.  I can understand how some would see it as blue and black, but I'm baffled by those who see white and gold.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2015, 07:13:54 PM »

So, both my spouse and I saw white and gold, and our four year old said it was blue and black. And we're the one's who taught her colours!

So perhaps there is a correlation with starting at computer screens all the time? Though, our daughter has seen way more computer screens than most kids her age.

Also, this has nothing to do with colour blindness, as none of us are.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2015, 07:33:17 PM »

I'm interested to know what homely sees, since he does those maps with thousands of colors in them.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »

I'm interested to know what homely sees, since he does those maps with thousands of colors in them.

pbrower is known to make maps like this:

So I wonder what he sees.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »

Important public figures are weighing in on this crucial issue:

Panda Express

« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2015, 11:17:39 PM »

^Ouch. Devastating blow to team gold/white. We get Kanye West. Team gold/white gets a bunch of people that aren't Kanye West.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »

There may be a blue version of the dress or there may be some optical illusion at play that does not fool some peoples' eyes, but that is as white as a white rose.

You cannot be serious.  You're telling me that you looked at the photo on a forum that is like 95% white, and believed the dress to also be white?  Like, you looked at this adjacency...

... and you think it's just all white?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2015, 02:33:07 AM »

To the people who see it as black, can you distinguish that color from the color of the dress that is behind it on the lower left hand corner of the photo?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2015, 06:13:18 AM »

^Ouch. Devastating blow to team gold/white. We get Kanye West. Team gold/white gets a bunch of people that aren't Kanye West.

You also get Justin Bieber though, so we're even.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »

You also get Justin Bieber though, so we're even.

says the side with kim kardashian on it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies