What color is this dress? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:19:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What color is this dress? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which colors do you see?
White/Gold

Blue/Black

Blue/Gold

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: What color is this dress?  (Read 13184 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »

Sort of powder blue with an olive or copper lace trim.  It's hideous, though, so if you're thinking about buying it for your sister or your girlfriend, think again.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »

Some animals and insects can see different/more colors than humans can.

Yes, there's nothing special about the "visible" region of the electromagnetic spectrum.  The 400 - 750 nm region is only called the visible region because we were the first species here to evolve language and the ability to write books about it.  If bumblebees could speak they'd call 300 - 600 nm the visible region.  They don't have a word for what we call red, but they must have lots of cool words for the various shades of purple and blue that we call ultraviolet.  I wonder how Romulans and Klingons perceive Captain Picard's "red" uniform?  I wonder how Giordi perceives it?

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

Here's the dress photographed on another day and under different lighting conditions:

Well, now the light blue part looks dark blue, and the olive/copper part looks like a darker shade of olive/copper, but it's still hideous.  I suggest that you stop obsessing over this one and pick something else.  

Please tell me that this is a bridesmaid dress.  Then I could understand it because they're always hideous.  I assume that it is some secret designer's code or dressmakers ethic:  no one must upstage the bride.  Make the bridesmaids' dresses so ugly that even the most well-endowed woman will look frumpy when she puts it on, so that the blushing bride shines by comparison and all eyes in the chapel will be fixated upon her.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

I originally voted Blue and Gold and I'll stick with that, but I'm not really seeing "royal" blue, which I think of as something like maybe hexadecimal 4160E0.  I'm seeing what I'd call "sky" blue, which I think of as something like hex 7EC0E0.  As for the "gold", I'm seeing something more like a cross between a slightly too ripe verdial olive and a well-oxidized copper pipe, maybe something like hex 927020.  You can play around with color palettes to explore these.  Here's one I googled, for example:

http://www.color-hex.com/color/000000

Start with black and then change the values for RRGGBB, remembering that in hexadecimal notation, the domain runs from 0 through F.  You can either change the values in the URL or in the little query box at the top middle of the page.  There may also be a way to directly input these hex color codes directly in YABB code for coloring text, but I'm not sure how to do it off the top of my head.  I know you can choose "blue" or "pink" or whatever, but there may also a way to do RRGGBB.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »

This stupid little thing is actually getting the worst out of people

What?  The worst?  This thread has inspired mention of fluorescence, The Revolution, vaginas, the electromagnetic spectrum, hexadecimal notation, girlfriends, incandescent lighting, and weddings.  True, it's a hideous dress, but any thread that inspires such an eclectic array of important topics is not bringing out the worst in people.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »

I don't understand what those people are seeing.

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we witness your enthusiasm for HILLARY 2016

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 08:48:30 AM by angus »

wow, there's a poll on YouGov.  And it's that same photo.  I realize that this forum is populated by the type of teenage males who obsess over women's clothing, but yougov?  I suppose I'd be in the 7% other, because I still think it's sky blue with olive or copper trim.

Actually, last night I noticed on one of my middle-aged friend's facebook page that she said something like "and by the way, the dress is actually" and then she named some colors.  I forget which colors.  I thought at the time that she was talking about this same photo.  I thought it was an odd thing to put on a facebook page.  One expects this sort of fixation on irrelevant minutiae on Atlas Forum, but The overanalysis of this photo on other channels is starting to get a little creepy.  

People argue about colors, and it's really not worth it.  I *always* refer to the protonated form of litmus as pink, because it is definitely pink in my mind, even though all the textbooks call it "red."  But I don't argue about it.  I just refer to it as pink and move on.  If someone calls it red I know what they're talking about.  Also, I know people with orange hair, and it's definitely orange, even though most folks call that same color "red."  I don't argue about that either, I have just learned that what people mean in that context is orange when they say red.  Red is such an over-used word.  To bad, because it is by far my favorite color.  I have a red backpack, a red mousepad, a red hooded sweatshirt, lots of other red clothes, and although my current car is blue, I've had several red cars and I'd probably have bought this on in red if it came in red.  That hideous dress, even, looks halfway decent when it is red (and when the jacket is left off).

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies