DHS Shut Down Averted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:17:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DHS Shut Down Averted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: DHS Shut Down Averted  (Read 7108 times)
Stockdale for Veep

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »

How is gerrymandering still legal?!
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:40 PM »

Because the majority of Americans don't know what it is and probably don't care either.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:38 PM »

House OKs bill to fund Department of Homeland Security for 7 days. Bill now heads to President Obama.
www.cnn.com
OldDominion
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:19 PM »

A bunch of jokers continue to play jokes. This bill should have never come up. It is based on flawed, almost kindergarten-like tactics of blaming the president for something Reagan even did, push for immigration reform via executive action. Bad play on the GOP. Bad play for Boehner - incredibly weak Speaker.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »

Republicans know there is zero electoral consequences for their behavior; especially if there is a slow website to shift the blame and get white people riled up over.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »

Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 04:27:44 AM »

The GOP House Conference should just drop all pretense about wanting to govern and elect Louie Gohmert as Speaker.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »

The most pragmatic center right Republicans need to reach across the aisle to the pragmatic far right Republicans and hammer out a compromise that all Republicans can support. Americans are tired of the partisan division. Republicans or Republicans, we are all Republicans, and they need to remember that rather than focus on labels that divide us.

Really, this is a leadership failure on Barack Obama. As President, it is up to him to lead the Republican Party and, for some reason, he has show no interest in doing so.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »

The most pragmatic center right Republicans need to reach across the aisle to the pragmatic far right Republicans and hammer out a compromise that all Republicans can support. Americans are tired of the partisan division. Republicans or Republicans, we are all Republicans, and they need to remember that rather than focus on labels that divide us.

Really, this is a leadership failure on Barack Obama. As President, it is up to him to lead the Republican Party and, for some reason, he has show no interest in doing so.
wut? Not everyone is a republican, and Obama is the de facto DEMOCRATIC leader.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »

Monarch is clearly joking.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:12 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 11:40:14 AM by Brewer »

*moderate facepalm*
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 02:18:22 PM »

Nothing gets passed this guy!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

Excellent News! DHS is an unnecessary department whose necessary roles could be rolled into Defense.

I'd split it between the DOD and the State Department, as appropriate, but otherwise I agree with you.

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »

Honestly I wouldn't mind the DHS shutting down, if it was permanant.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »

I'd facepalm at this, but that goes too far.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »

So...

One week extension. We're going to do this again a few days from now?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »

So...

One week extension. We're going to do this again a few days from now?

They're going to spend the next week talking about what an awesome leader Netanyahu is, and then Friday remember that they have a deadline.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:29 AM »

How the House could vote w/o Boehner scheduling a vote:

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/house-rule-boehner-dhs-appropriations-shutdown/?SD

BTW, aside from the discharge petition (and the rule mentioned above), are there any other ways that a vote in the House can be called w/o the consent of the Speaker?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 12:36:52 PM »

Our natl security as far as military defense is sound. But, airtravel is a far from assured thing as Air Marshalls and TSA agents are being bombarded by stalemate.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »

Boehner surrenders. Time to replace him with a true conservative!

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/dhs-funding-bill-house-vote-115693.html?hp=t3_r
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »

If Republicans really believe the President is violating the Constitution, the Constitution says they can move to impeach him. So do it. Don't do passive aggressive protests on bills.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »

I'm personally very upset that a better funding bill wasn't passed, and my dislike for fringe House Republicans grows stronger with each day.  However, I must question how much of this criticism is partisan or legitimate, as I seem to remember quite a few Dems hooting and hollering about the DHS being unnecessary when President Bush was around.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »

However, I must question how much of this criticism is partisan or legitimate, as I seem to remember quite a few Dems hooting and hollering about the DHS being unnecessary when President Bush was around.

The GOP was basically trying to hold the DHS hostage, in an attempt to force the Dems to bite on repealing Obama's executive action on immigration (something that wasn't going to happen, nor was it going to be signed into law ever). Republican politicians then proceeded to run around talking about building "coffins outside [Democratic] offices" if there was a terror attack on American soil. That is all.

I'm not questioning whether House Republicans were acting in a partisan matter; they clearly were.  I simply question any Democrat who opposed the DHS being founded caring at all if it's abolished now, even if by Republicans...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »

I'm personally very upset that a better funding bill wasn't passed, and my dislike for fringe House Republicans grows stronger with each day.  However, I must question how much of this criticism is partisan or legitimate, as I seem to remember quite a few Dems hooting and hollering about the DHS being unnecessary when President Bush was around.

The DHS is unnecessary as a bureaucracy.

The agencies under DHS control are necessary to be funded.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »

Pelosi has out-Maneuvered Boehner again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies