Will Rubio run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Rubio run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Marco Rubio run in 2016?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Will Rubio run?  (Read 2383 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2015, 03:15:13 AM »

Huh
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:43:18 AM »

Can't see the spot for him, all the other candidates have their own selling points e.g Cruz Government shutdown, Paul non-interventionist, Walker anti-unions. Rubio is the guy everyone liked in 2010, but then he flipped flopped on immigration reform because he's spineless. His foreign policy credentials are weak. He's just a comprise candidate I suppose 
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:22 AM »

He wants too bad but I think he'll be realize that he doesn't have a place on the campaign trail this time around and that he should instead focus on his reelection to the Senate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:42:49 AM »

I'd love to see him run for POTUS in 2016, lose the GE and then try a Nixon in 2018 only to lose again
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »

He will be running for President (lmao at his political "instincts").
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »

Yes, I think he will. He should look at running for re-election to the Senate in 2016, but I think he will run for president and may just run to get a VP look.
tonyreyes89
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »

He's gunning for a VP spot imo.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »

All signs are suggesting that he will.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 01:58:31 AM »

The same was true for Romney. The question is if he comes to the same conclusion, that his path forward would be too difficult.

Anyway, I think he does. He totally bought his own hype from 2012/2013, and doesn't seem to realize things have changed.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 03:03:24 AM »

I haven't read Double Down yet, is there any reason that Romney skipped him for VP in 2012?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 03:50:21 AM »

I agree that there isn't much of a place for him, but that probably won't stop him.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:53:37 AM »

Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »

Poll is 52.4% no. That's kind of how I feel.

Florida's open gubernatorial election in 2018 gives him a comeback, and the Senate race would be competitive anyway. However, his odds of being on a winning national ticket are probably fifty percent lower, and he loses his bully pulpit as a Senator, when he became a member of the majority party very recently.

He might be well positioned in the Republican primary. Walker could be knocked on intellect, and Bush represents the past, so there is a sweet spot for a young guy with foreign policy chops. But I doubt his odds of winning the nomination would be higher than 20 percent. With a credible run, he might also be an ideal running mate for several other potential presidential nominees, but there are others who are unlikely to pick him. Rand Paul probably won't go for a hawkish southern Senator. Jeb's unlikely to pick someone from Florida.

My hunch is he'll opt for another term. But he could also decide he has no problem gambling at national office, with lucrative corporate positions as a fallback.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »

Florida's open gubernatorial election in 2018 gives him a comeback, and the Senate race would be competitive anyway. However, his odds of being on a winning national ticket are probably fifty percent lower, and he loses his bully pulpit as a Senator, when he became a member of the majority party very recently.

He might be well positioned in the Republican primary. Walker could be knocked on intellect, and Bush represents the past, so there is a sweet spot for a young guy with foreign policy chops. But I doubt his odds of winning the nomination would be higher than 20 percent. With a credible run, he might also be an ideal running mate for several other potential presidential nominees, but there are others who are unlikely to pick him. Rand Paul probably won't go for a hawkish southern Senator. Jeb's unlikely to pick someone from Florida.

My hunch is he'll opt for another term. But he could also decide he has no problem gambling at national office, with lucrative corporate positions as a fallback.

That's because he is constitutionally barred from doing so.

I think he'll run, but he'll be in the upper bracket of the second tier of candidates.
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »

I think he sees an opening. 

He has broader appeal than Paul. 
Walker is starting to get beat up in the press, questioning is handle on the issues. 
Bush can be beaten by a viable alternative. 

PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »

I don't think it could be any ,ore obvious hes in...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »

That's because he is constitutionally barred from doing so.

I think he'll run, but he'll be in the upper bracket of the second tier of candidates.

Not really, Cheney and Bush got round it by changing Cheney to Wyoming from Texas.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »

I don't think he will. 
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »

Not really, not with Jeb in the picture; his best bet is holding his Senate seat.
oeoyeleye
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

I think he will run, but I think if he really is gunning for the VP spot, he should stay in the Senate, endorse the eventual frontrunner fairly early, raise a lot money for him, and do well stumping for him. I think it'll become increasingly more likely that nominees won't pick people who ran against them in the primary, given how acrimonious and heated they've become. Can you imagine the things Marco Rubio, or any candidate for that matter, will have to say about the eventual nominee?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »

I think he will run, but I think if he really is gunning for the VP spot, he should stay in the Senate, endorse the eventual frontrunner fairly early, raise a lot money for him, and do well stumping for him. I think it'll become increasingly more likely that nominees won't pick people who ran against them in the primary, given how acrimonious and heated they've become. Can you imagine the things Marco Rubio, or any candidate for that matter, will have to say about the eventual nominee?

I don't see any reason to think that Rubio will be ruled out of running mate contention by running (unsuccessfully) for president.  He should run for president John Edwards 2004 style, and stay mostly positive, without making viscious attacks on the frontrunners.  Hope that, as with Edwards in '04, his campaign trail performance in the primaries makes him a stronger contender for the vice presidency.

He can't really run for reelection for Senate and vice president at the same time.  Florida law won't allow it.  If he's picked as VP, then sure, he could just drop out of his Senate race, but the party will have to scramble for a replacement for him.  Better for him to just renounce reelection plans right now, and declare for president, in the hopes that if he doesn't win the nomination and Walker (or whoever) does, Walker picks him as his running mate.

If the ticket then loses in November, Rubio will have at least set himself up for 2020, having prevented anyone else from using the VP slot on the ticket to gain their own national prominence.  Again, just like John Edwards tried to do in 2008.  Edwards, of course, was stymied by Clinton and Obama, but Rubio will just have to hope that there is no Republican equivalent of Clinton or Obama who emerges in 2020 to stop him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 11:01:04 PM »

In the end, he won't run. 

Rubio's young, and in it for the long haul.  He really doesn't fit well in the mix this year, and his Senate seat is up in 2016.  Rubio's a favorite for re-election to the Senate, but not a prohibitive favorite; the thing that boosts his re-election chances is the unlikelihood of a first-tier Democrat opponent.

Rubio's quite young.  I can see him being re-elected, then moving into the Senate GOP leadership.  He was speaker of the FL House of Reps, so he understands legislative leadership.  The GOP needs a Hispanic face other than Ted Cruz, and Rubio foots the bill well.  He could well end up having the most influential career of any Hispanic politician in history, and could well be President someday. 

I think Rubio understands this.  I think he knows that if he runs for President and loses, it won't be a plus, and will undermine his Senate re-election.  I also think that serious donors understand this as well. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »

Rubio's young, and in it for the long haul.  He really doesn't fit well in the mix this year, and his Senate seat is up in 2016.  Rubio's a favorite for re-election to the Senate, but not a prohibitive favorite; the thing that boosts his re-election chances is the unlikelihood of a first-tier Democrat opponent.

Rubio's quite young.  I can see him being re-elected, then moving into the Senate GOP leadership.  He was speaker of the FL House of Reps, so he understands legislative leadership.  The GOP needs a Hispanic face other than Ted Cruz, and Rubio foots the bill well.  He could well end up having the most influential career of any Hispanic politician in history, and could well be President someday. 

I think Rubio understands this.  I think he knows that if he runs for President and loses, it won't be a plus, and will undermine his Senate re-election.  I also think that serious donors understand this as well. 

I don't think he cares about his Senate seat, or having a career in the Senate.  He only ran for Senate in the first place in order to set himself up for a presidential run, IMHO.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 11:19:14 PM »

I don't think he cares about his Senate seat, or having a career in the Senate.  He only ran for Senate in the first place in order to set himself up for a presidential run, IMHO.

From a distance, it may look that way.  I'm a Florida resident, and I would respectfully (but heartily) disagree with you.

If Rubio really wanted to run for President in 2016, he'd have run for Governor of Florida in 2010.  He could have run for either.  The Governorship was open, he was a former Speaker of the Florida House, and Charlie Crist had announced for the Senate and was, initially, an overwhelming favorite. 

Rubio was a conservative who caught a Tea Party tailwind.  Florida's GOP conservatives found Crist to be more of a moderate Republican than they thought he'd be, and got behind Rubio, forcing Crist to run as an independent.  (Crist lost his advantage and decided he'd be better off in a 3 way race, because the AG McCollum and the wealthy Scott made it impossible to re-enter the Governor's race.)  But his experience was in state politics; he just didn't want to get lumped in with the Scott-McCollum antipathy.  Besides, the Democrat running for Senate (Rep. Kendrick Meek) seemed easier to beat than Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies