People from either party you would support and why
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  People from either party you would support and why
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People from either party you would support and why  (Read 1913 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »

Give reasons

Democrats: Hillary Clinton

Reason I would support her:  Bill Clinton would be back in the white house and would influence policy

Republicans: Chris Christie, , John Kasich, Scot Walker(As of now)

Reasons I would Support Them:  Christie and Kasich are Republicans who are fiscally conservative and would be pragmatist in foreign policy and aren't part of the Religious Right. Scot Walker reminds me of Reagan as of now but that could change by the primary season so I am putting that as As of now

Who is not acceptable in any circumstances: Bush, Cruz, Warren, Biden, Cuomo

Reasons they arent acceptable: Dont need another Bush in the whitehouse, Cruz and Warren are too fringe, Biden would mean 4 more years like the last 8 and Cuomo is too corrupt
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »

Democrats: Warren, Sanders, O'Malley by virtue of not being Hillary but not being awful either

Republicans: nobody because I take politics seriously
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

I could support Sandoval or Pataki from the GOP, that's about it. Maybe Paul if the Democrat was too awful.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »

Democrats: Warren, Sanders, O'Malley by virtue of not being Hillary but not being awful either

Republicans: nobody because I take politics seriously

Where do you think I land in the Ideological Spectrum
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »

Democrats: Dennis Kucinich, Bernie Sanders
Republicans: Rand Paul

All for the same reason. I feel they would all be good on civil liberties, specifically privacy. They also seem to be much more reasonable on foreign policy.

I don't really agree with anyone on economic issues, I am sort of a hybrid of left and right there so again the most acceptable to me is either someone on the far left or far right.

Last cycle I liked Huntsman and supported him as my second to Paul.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:56 AM »

Assuming this is from potential/announced/probable candidates?

Democrats: no one in the general unless the Republican nominee is "pro-choice" (Pataki? Trump?). If that were the case I would vote for Clinton or Sanders. I think O'Malley is a slimeball, so I wouldn't support him in the primaries or the general.

Republicans: Jeb Bush or Lindsey Graham would be my preference for the nomination. I like them both personally, especially Graham (though he has no chance), think they're in the right place on issues where they disagree with the party, and they would drive talk-radio nuts. I'd vote for almost any of the serious candidates in the general, with Cruz being the sole exception (I'd stay home).
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 12:28:19 AM »

Republicans: Bush, Graham, Christie, Bolton, Fiorina, Walker

Democrats: Webb, Biden

All of the listed Republicans will have the neoconservative foriegn policy that I look for and none of them are religious right types. I would simpky take Webb and Biden over the Republicans below.

No chance: Clinton, Cruz, Carson, Perry, Santorum, Huckabee, Jindal, Paul

Bomb throwers, religious zealots, a libertarian, and Clinton. No thank you
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 02:37:42 AM »

All of the listed Republicans will have the neoconservative foriegn policy that I look for and none of them are religious right types. I would simpky take Webb and Biden over the Republicans below.

Why would you want another Bush after the last two Bushes messed up the Country after basically both given booming economies and America being in better shape then ever, they still manage to ruin the country totally.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »

John Bolton? Have you heard him speak?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2015, 11:20:49 AM by OC »

Clinton or OMalley
Walker who is not Jeb Bush, and gives Unions a foil to fight with, which is to Dem advantage
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »

Why would you want another Bush after the last two Bushes messed up the Country after basically both given booming economies and America being in better shape then ever, they still manage to ruin the country totally.

The dotcom bubble burst in 2000 and the Bush administration inherited the proceeding recession. 9/11 didn't help matters any. It wasn't until the second round of tax cuts in 2003 that the economy began recovering. From 2003-2006 there was economic growth around 4%, unemployment would fall from 6% to 4%, and real wages grew.

The housing crash, while admittedly poorly managed by the administration, was predominately caused by horrible monetary policy on the part of the federal reserve who pushed excess credit into the economy with low interest rates.

Long story short, if you want to blame somebody for the housing market crash at the end of the Bush administration then you should blame Alan Greenspan.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »

John Bolton? Have you heard him speak?

I have. He's not flashy and his depth cuts off dramatically when discussing issues aside from foriegn policy.
Ideologically though, I'm probably closer to Bolton than any other Republican. Not that I think Bolton has a shot at 2016 or anything, could male an interesting VP choice though depending on how important foriegn policy is to the electorate at that point
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »

The dotcom bubble burst in 2000 and the Bush administration inherited the proceeding recession. 9/11 didn't help matters any. It wasn't until the second round of tax cuts in 2003 that the economy began recovering. From 2003-2006 there was economic growth around 4%, unemployment would fall from 6% to 4%, and real wages grew.

The housing crash, while admittedly poorly managed by the administration, was predominately caused by horrible monetary policy on the part of the federal reserve who pushed excess credit into the economy with low interest rates.

Long story short, if you want to blame somebody for the housing market crash at the end of the Bush administration then you should blame Alan Greenspan.

That doesnt make up for bush turning a record surplus into a trillion dollar defict. Before Bush the debt was expected to be payed off by 2010 and he still manged to double it.It also doesn't also make up for Invading Iraq to topple and disbanding the Republican Guard which would have stopped the Rise of ISIS
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »

Maybe if Ed Brooke would come back among us...
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

That doesnt make up for bush turning a record surplus into a trillion dollar defict. Before Bush the debt was expected to be payed off by 2010 and he still manged to double it.It also doesn't also make up for Invading Iraq to topple and disbanding the Republican Guard which would have stopped the Rise of ISIS

A) That surplus never actually existed. It was a 2001 CBO projection that assumed growth of the late 90s and the stock market bubble would continue indefinitely for the next decade and generate record tax revenue. It did not account for the impending recession, a terrorist attack, or the war.

B) Before they were ISIS they were called al-Queda in Iraq. In 2007, the surge killed dozens of their high ranking leaders and in 2008 they're remaining leadership declared the organization to be in crisis. al-Baghdadi would rebuild the group by 2010 with former Ba'athist military officers and Saddam Hussein loyalists. ISIS wouldn't be anything near what it is today if we had left a residual force to combat them when they were weaker.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »

Democrats: Dan Lipinski, Jennifer Garrison, maybe Bart Stupak but he's probably too liberal

Republicans: Kasich at the moment, perhaps Rubio or Walker if need be
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »

Democrats: Clinton, Biden, O'Malley and Sanders. I wouldn't ever support Webb. Maybe on Schweitzer.

Republicans: Huntsman... uh... that's about it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »

Democrats: Among the people running, Clinton, Biden, and Sanders, maybe O'Malley.

Republicans: None of the candidates who are (presumably) running. It would take a real moderate Republican (not a Republican with one or two moderate positions) to earn my support.
AelroseB

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »

Some people say that having another Bush or Clinton would edge us into monarchism, but what's so wrong with that?  I mean, haven't any of ye read Leviathan?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »

Some people say that having another Bush or Clinton would edge us into monarchism, but what's so wrong with that?  I mean, haven't any of ye read Leviathan?

Those people are just being melodramatic. And Bush is far more part of a monarchy than Clinton is.

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »

Ten years ago this woulda been easier.

Huntsman...RON Paul... There may be others...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:39 PM »

Presidentially: none.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »

Democrats: Almost any potential nominee.
Reason: Walker as Republican nominee. He frightens me. And not because I don't like his politics, but because he seems like an immoral, unscrupulous, power-grabbing, law-breaking authoritarian. And that's in comparison to his fellow likely Republican nominees.

The rest of them, Republicans and Dems alike, are all quite awful, but Walker rises above the rest, the way toxic gas rises above a tank of pig sh**t.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »

Democrats: Nobody. My political views are almost polar opposite of many Democrats today.

Republicans: Rand Paul, for his libertarian stance and isn't a radical raging neoconservative or an "Establishment" Republican, open on civil rights and strong on economic and foreign policy. I'd also support Scott Walker as long as he doesn't do anything stupid.

WILL NOT SUPPORT at ALL: Hillary Clinton, Rick Santorum, Chris Christie, Ben Carson, Elizabeth Warren, Jim Webb, Joe Biden, Martin O'Malley, Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, anyone else not mentioned above.

Political views:

Economic Left-Right: +4.61
Social Libertarian-Authoritarian: -4.35
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies